Abort....to teleport?

Curious how others have handled the power of teleportation when considering allowing it as an "abort" action when attacked. We have never allowed it in any of our campaigns because of the potential for abuse. However, you see this type of thing in the comics all the time.

The Fifth Edition says that generally, movement actions such as flying or running away are not allowed as an "abort" option, with the exceptions being Diving for Cover, decelerating or turning. However, "At the GM's option, characters may be allowed to Abort to other forms of movement in appropriate circumstances."

But what do you do to accomodate a PC who wants to play a character with "Nightcrawler" type moves, such as displayed so awesomely in the last X-Men movie? Under what circumstances would you allow "abort to teleport"? Would you make the player buy some kind of "abort" advantage for his teleportation? Or do most campaigns allow "abort to teleport"? I guess, since you can abort to turn desolid, that this might not be any worse...

There was power in USPD called Blink Teleport or something like that. It's just a bunch of DCV with costs endurance. Put in a teleportation tricks multipower or EC and you'll be nighcrawlering with the best of them.

Well, that handles the defense part but it doesn't move you any noticeable distance. You'd need to do something else if you wanted the movement.

Heh, I went whole hog and made "Dive For Cover Man" (not his real name :)) as an NPC in one of my campaigns. 15" Teleport, +15 PSLs for Dive For Cover range penalties, and a DEX roll in the 14- range. Oh yeah, and a few floating locations. Very, very annoying when he's had a chance to scout out several sniping positions in advance.

I didn't find it unbalancing given the point investment required.

Nightcrawler style defenses...

DCV levels with costs endurance to represent a lot of trivial pops to get out of the way.

Missile Deflection with costs endurance to reflect choosing a specific attack to get out of the way of using an abort or held action.

Dive for cover maneuver with possible skill levels (again costing endurance) for aborting out of area effects in a pinch.

Matter of fact, you wrap these all up in a multipower and it might work out nicely.

25 pt multipower pool -1/2 all have costs endurance

3 pt each for three Multi slots

17 rp for pool and 9 for three slots: total cost 26 pts

1m) +5 DCV (25 ap) up to 2 end per phase

2m) Missile deflection any (20 ap) up to 2 end per phase

3m) +10 with Dive for Cover (20 ap) up to 2 end per phase

Originally posted by Gary

Nightcrawler would have the Flying Dodge maneuver from UMA. It only gives +4 DCV, but you're allowed to Fmove and abort with it.

Heh, forgot about that one. IMO that maneuver is totally abusive, official or not, and I'd never allow it.

Conversely of course, all of my characters would take it if the GM said it was allowed. ;)

Originally posted by Talon

Heh, forgot about that one. IMO that maneuver is totally abusive, official or not, and I'd never allow it.

Conversely of course, all of my characters would take it if the GM said it was allowed. ;)

I feel the same way. I'd also throw maneuvers such as Passing Strike in the list of banned maneuvers in superheroic campaigns.

However for a Nightcrawler type character who isn't otherwise abusive in any way, I probably would make an exception. :)

Flying Dodge is great. For 5 points, you just can't beat it. The only thing keeping _every_ character from having it is the requirement to have at least 10 pts of Martial Arts -- and its pretty simple to find another well spent 5 pts among the manuevers in UMA.

I allow it for any character that can justify it, but not for other characters that cant justify it.

Some T-port character concepts could justify it to my satisfaction, like El Picarro or Cheshire Cat (and Nightcrawler for that matter), but not all T-porters by default.

Guest Keneton

The following solutions are avaialable for teleport and avoiding attacks. . .

1. If the character is holding he may teleport out of the way of an attack via

a. dive for cover (as discussed)

b. by making dex rolls or appropriate fast draw to move in resonse to the attack

c. using a full move dodge maneuver or reacting with a full move element martial arts attack making dex rolls or fast draw as above. (See also the notes at the end).

2. If the chracter is not holding and must abort, he may only abort to dive for cover or a defensive martial element that has the full move element.

Information about full move dodge is in the FAQ. I agree none of these are abusve unless combined with an indirect sense such as N-ray. This can get dicey, although not nearly so as Fast Draw combined with tunneling dives for cover with fill in behind.

Regardng full move dodge (Flying Dodge), I have a different take than Steve does on this issue. I allow the abort vs. all as the element permits but run things differently. Before deciding on this roll I had a sytem that allowed full move dodges but resolved in this order (1. Dodge DCV, 2 Attack, 3. Move) This was most fair but conflicted with the official FAQ and the rules in FRED. Seeing that offense got a big boosts in FRED with MPA's and Sweep Rapid Fire revisons I went the other way allowing a modified version of the FAQ rule. For your review.

1. If you commit to a full move dodge as a non abort you get to fullmove and dodge as the maneuver states (see first outline at top of post)

2. If you abort to a flying dodge when attacked or in response to an area attack, the following occurs.

a. Your DCV is adjusted by +4 or appropriate element amount.

b. You move up to 1/2 of your full move (no other maneuver allows you to abort to full phase action).

c. If this move takes you out of the area of an area attack, the attck fails or is reduced appropriately in the case of explosions etc.

I hope this helps, as this is the way I run things at cons and other events. It also is reflected this way in the ER.

:)

Many, many moons ago, I had a knock-down drag-out with Matthew about this (figuratively, anyway). I was the GM and said no, he couldn't. Finally he wore me down and I allowed it -- I'd allow dive for cover with any movement, and I'm still OK with it now. (What I would allow PCs to dive for cover *from* was another knock-down drag-out!)

-Shelley

*Giggle*

:)

Originally posted by Talon

Heh, I went whole hog and made "Dive For Cover Man" (not his real name :)) as an NPC in one of my campaigns. 15" Teleport, +15 PSLs for Dive For Cover range penalties, and a DEX roll in the 14- range. Oh yeah, and a few floating locations. Very, very annoying when he's had a chance to scout out several sniping positions in advance.

I didn't find it unbalancing given the point investment required.

Huh.

I never thought about NOT allowing Dive for Cover with other movement modes. Superleap (Hulk), Teleport (Nightcrawler), Swinging (Spidey)

One of the villains (Earthmaster? Something like that) had 20" of Tunnelling. The PC's were very annoyed when she dove for cover (from a thrown vehicle, as I recall)...she dove straight down. The quick thinker tossed a grenade in the hole after her on the next phase.

I haven't had a problem with it that I can recall. It doesn't seem any more abusive than "I smile and go Desolid" or a Dive vertically or horizontally with flight.