4th Edition Champions in 5th

Metaphysician

An idea struck me for how to modify the Champs U timeline so that the 4th Edition team doesn't get retconned: multiple incarnations.

Specifically, the first team called the Champions was a group founded in the late 70s, by a stranded alien prince who took the name Obsidian, in order to better protect his adopted home. All the 4th Ed members would be there, except Defender. Obsidian gets modified some to better fill both the tech and leadership roles; basically, he's an older and more experienced prince before he crashed, and about 400 points when the team was founded. Everyone else is about the same, but built on 300 points.

The team is quite successful, leading some to speculate that it would be the next "big" team, like the Sentinels and Justice Squadron. . . until Obsidians people arrived. Basically, his father was dead, and the empire was falling into civil war. They had just found Obsidian(1), and he was desperately needed back home to take his place as King. As such, he regretfully left Earth, and the Champions, in the mid 80s.

Bereft of their leader, the team eventually fell apart, mostly due to conflict between Quantum and Seeker over her more brutal methods. The team parted ways, except for Seeker and Solitaire, who found a common bound in their interest in truth ( to say nothing of some romantic feelings ).

Quantum remained an active, albeit brutal, hero, until her death in the Battle of Detroit. Jaguar didn't last that long; enemies he had made while a Champion among VIPER assassinated him a few years after the team disbanded. Seeker and Solitaire remained both partners and a couple, and eventually wed. To this day, they are active as heroes(2),albeit mostly in less public mystic and martial circles.

Many years after the Battle of Detroit, the hero Defender decided to found a superteam in Millenium City. Having encountered Seeker and Solitaire earlier in his career, and knowing the story of the team that was, Defender decided to resurrect the Champions. . .

1. Idea: While an accident, or assassination attempt, is what stranded Obsidian on Earth, his location was rediscovered by his father not long after. This discovery was kept extremely secret, however; there were troubles in the empire, and the best way to protect his son and heir was for everyone to think he was already dead.

2. Given that circa the Battle of Detroit, Seeker and Solitaire would both be 550+ point heroes with over a decade of experience, I don't have a good reason why they weren't present. Ideas??

Oh, and if anybody has any other ideas for how to incorporate the 4th Ed Champions into 5th Ed continuity. . .

Guest WhammeWhamme

Well. Looking at S and S's 500+ sheets...

No inspiration there.

Wait... Only Solitaire has healing powers, and she relies on a ForceField for defense...

Solitaire was critically wounded and unconscious somewhere in Asia, and Seeker was nursing her back to health in private.

By the time Seeker managed to tear himself away from her sickbed and begin to travel to Detroit it was too late. The city had been demolished by Destroyer, and Quantum (and so many others...) were dead.

Assuming Defender got permission beforehand ( he probably would ), Solitaire probably *would* mentor Witchcraft. Though, thats one possibility re: Solitaire- while the Battle of Detroit was going on, Solitaire was busy acquiring her true heritage as the new Archmage ( with the help of Seeker and the Trismegistus Council ). This would also help explain why the two aren't constantly around to act as an old guard to the new Champions: Solitaire has Archmage business to handle, and Seeker is either helping her or training for the Tournament of the Dragon. . .

Originally posted by Battlestaff

Marksman, Rose, Gargoyle, Goliath (I believe), and Icestar (I believe).

Unless I'm mistaken, Battlestaff, the character you referred to

as Goliath was actually named Giant. IIRC, there were some

other members of that group as well (at least in the comic books

featuring those characters): Flare, Sparkplug, Lady Arcane and

Icicle (Icestar's sister, if memory serves me).

Space Cadet :cool:

Originally posted by Space Cadet

Unless I'm mistaken, Battlestaff, the character you referred to as Goliath was actually named Giant. IIRC, there were some

other members of that group as well (at least in the comic books featuring those characters): Flare, Sparkplug, Lady Arcane and Icicle (Icestar's sister, if memory serves me).

Thanks for the memory jog Space Cadet!! It was Giant, not Goliath (I just remember the big G on his costume). And Flare and Icicle I believe were members.

As for Sparkplug, I have absolutely no recall of him/her/it. Any help as to what Sparkplug was?

Lady Arcane I don't think was an actual member in the comic, but was more of an ally. She wasn't a member when looking at the game supplements.

Originally posted by Metaphysician

This would also help explain why the two aren't constantly around to act as an old guard to the new Champions: Solitaire has Archmage business to handle, and Seeker is either helping her or training for the Tournament of the Dragon. . .

That's actually a good idea. Every Archmage can use a loyal warrior-champion to watch her back and help her fight monsters. Seeker could go get Akumashibaru's "Ghost-Cutting Sword" and end up being the Black Knight to her Doctor Strange, only infinitely less lame.

Originally posted by Chuckg

That's actually a good idea. Every Archmage can use a loyal warrior-champion to watch her back and help her fight monsters. Seeker could go get Akumashibaru's "Ghost-Cutting Sword" and end up being the Black Knight to her Doctor Strange, only infinitely less lame.

OR to show how geeky I truely am. He could be the Squall to her Rinoa...

I'm currently running a campaign based in 1992 Detroit, a few months before the Battle. I'm using 4th edition Champions as a New York superteam, but I've been planning on retiring them (except Defender) to make room for the 5th edition Champions.

Thanks for the cool ideas, Metaphysician. I'll be stealing a few of them, if you don't mind. :D

I like the idea of having Seeker and Solitaire as a married couple. But what about Lin Chow, Seeker's SO and Green Dragon's sister?

Originally posted by Enforcer84

OR to show how geeky I truely am. He could be the Squall to her Rinoa...

Squall is an emotionally stunted whiny b**ch, and Seeker will *NEVER* be like him!

Tidus to her Yuna, maybe. Cloud to her Tifa. Something like that. But Squall and Rinoa? /ewwwwwwwww/

Originally posted by Battlestaff

Thanks for the memory jog Space Cadet!! It was Giant, not Goliath (I just remember the big G on his costume). And Flare and Icicle I believe were members.

As for Sparkplug, I have absolutely no recall of him/her/it. Any help as to what Sparkplug was?

Lady Arcane I don't think was an actual member in the comic, but was more of an ally. She wasn't a member when looking at the game supplements.

Sparkplug was Flare's sister, and was an electrical energy-projector

with flight powers. IIRC, she was a result of the same experiment

that gave Flare and their brother(?) their abilities. I think that the

character called Poinsettia was also part of the same experiment,

but I'm not absolutely certain of this.

Because Green Dragon is a 5th Edition character, with an origin recent in the timeline. You would have to revert him to 4th Ed version, and make him a contemporary of the first group of Champions ( late 70s- early 80s ) for a romance with his sister to work.

Instead of his sister, it's GDs mom!

Because Green Dragon is a 5th Edition character, with an origin recent in the timeline. You would have to revert him to 4th Ed version, and make him a contemporary of the first group of Champions ( late 70s- early 80s ) for a romance with his sister to work.

And there's nothing in the 5th Edition Green Dragon's character that would prevent him from having a sister for Seeker to date, so it's really not a problem.