Not Allowed?

yamamura

Recently one of my players linked his healing(Regeneration) with Life Support: Immortality and I said that while I couldn't find anything in the rules against it, I felt it was still an illegal construct. Now my player had no problem dropping it, but I hope I made the right choice. Any comments?

G

I would allow it.

Effectively, what that means is that the regeneration is a condition of the fact that the character is immortal. Remove the characters immortality, and the Regeneration goes away.

Makes perfect sense to me. In fact, I have a fictional precedent for it.

In the manga: The Five Star Stories, the main character, Amaterasu is an immortal (he is a deity born into flesh) and can regenerate, even from a few ashes. However at one point during the story he is "killed" and for some reason, his powers don't kick in. His Immortality was turned off by dimesional interference, and as a result, his regeneration power never kicked in. He was later healed by a miracle potion (called "The Water of Life" How Dune) but his immortality was still "off" and his regeneration null and void until such a time as he was able to reconnect with his power source on his home planet.

There's a perfect example of Regeneration linked to Immortality Life Support power..

I would say that personally, I wouldn't allow it. My simple reason is that I just don't drain/dispell/suppress lifesupport enough for the limitation to come into play. Even if the life support were limited so that it didn't always work, I'd simply apply the same limitations to the Regeneration, rather than linking them.

Originally posted by Vanderbilt_Grad

Only if the life support had some kind of limitation itself could I see Healing being linked to it. Otherwise the the linked limitation would not really limit the healing power in any way. A limitation that doesn't limit the character is not worth any point.

That's where I stand as well. Linked usually isn't appropriate for constant powers to begin with...

Originally posted by TheEmerged

That's where I stand as well. Linked usually isn't appropriate for constant powers to begin with...

I don't really agree with this view (I can think of way too many valid reasons to Link something to a Constant Power), but I would certainly say that it's rarely appropriate to Link something to a Persistent Power. :)

The rule is "A Limitation which doesn't restrict the character isn't worth points" [paraphrase].

Since the Immortality is almost always going to be on, Linked shouldn't be worth anything. If, for some reason, the GM knows that Immortality Drains are common (and that losing Immortality won't flat out kill the character), then maybe it's worth something.

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

I don't really agree with this view (I can think of way too many valid reasons to Link something to a Constant Power), but I would certainly say that it's rarely appropriate to Link something to a Persistent Power. :)

"Persistent" is what I meant when I said "constant". That was a dropped ball on my end. It was late and I was celebrating my Patriots winning :rolleyes:

I also thought of something else -- you really shouldn't have the more expensive power (regeneration) linked to a less expensive power (Unaging).

Originally posted by NuSoardGraphite

I would allow it.

Effectively, what that means is that the regeneration is a condition of the fact that the character is immortal. Remove the characters immortality, and the Regeneration goes away.

Makes perfect sense to me. In fact, I have a fictional precedent for it.

In the manga: The Five Star Stories, the main character, Amaterasu is an immortal (he is a deity born into flesh) and can regenerate, even from a few ashes. However at one point during the story he is "killed" and for some reason, his powers don't kick in. His Immortality was turned off by dimesional interference, and as a result, his regeneration power never kicked in. He was later healed by a miracle potion (called "The Water of Life" How Dune) but his immortality was still "off" and his regeneration null and void until such a time as he was able to reconnect with his power source on his home planet.

There's a perfect example of Regeneration linked to Immortality Life Support power..

I would say no.

I quoted the above to illustrate something however: Regeneration from Death requires a "death condition", the above story it could be ruled that as long as the character has his Life Support he will regen from death, to actualy kill him you need to remove his LS, this is not a lim, just the nature of the power...

Guest Keneton

Two Answers

On general I have no problems with linked as long as the power being linked to is not INHERENT. I may have a problem with PERSISTANT but not enough of one to make all such construct illegal.

About this one specifically, its a little hokey. In addition it saves like 2 points so who cares. I would probably make the player buy off the limitation and expalin that 2 points is nothing.

:)

Re: Two Answers

Originally posted by Keneton

About this one specifically, its a little hokey. In addition it saves like 2 points so who cares. I would probably make the player buy off the limitation and expalin that 2 points is nothing.

For two points, I'd probably tell the player he must buy off the limitation and can use his next 2 xp for this to avoid the need for a rewrite over 2 points.