Got Sharper Than A Serpents Tooth

winterhawk

Originally posted by Steve Long

It is about King Cobra, that's correct -- but he's always been known as King Cobra, ever since his first appearance in CE way back when. Are you perhaps thinking of another villain named Cobra?

King Cobra was originally Cobra , Steve, in Enemies I )(IIRC). I renamed in CE to "King Cobra" to differentiate him from the minor Marvel villain Cobra (Mr. Hyde's partner in Thor); then Marvel changed *him* to King Cobra a week after Classic Enemies was published. :-(

Scott Bennie

Originally posted by Steve Long

Before the complaints start, let me clarify: while one of the sub-scenarios does involve the Ultimates, for which you'd need CKC, we went out of our way not to require VIPER. STAST is made to be run without any need for the VIPER supplement at all.

Oh, freaking GREAT! Thanks Steve! I've got VIPER and STAST (just got it today), but I still don't have CKC! NOW I have to go out and find ANOTHER book!

;)

Having got this yesterday I have the same problem with this as I had with the UNTIL book. I don't like some of the artwork. Specifically the pics of the villains by their stats. I note that the same artist who did these did the ones in the UNTIL book.

The picture of King Cobra on the cover is good and the one done by Nato is wonderful. The one by his stats just does nothing. It does not convey a snake let alone a Cobra. I can't tell who the artist is as there is no discernable sig by it.

However the same artist who did the character pics by the stats of the characters did the next few. The pics of Boomslang and Gorgon are mediocore. The picture of Gorgon in action is very good but the one on her own by her stats just has no feeling in it.

The picture of Firedrake is just tripe.

the odd thing is that the same artist does the COIL infiltrator and that is a great picture.

A different artist does Krait but I just did not feel inspired or thrilled by this pic either. And indifference and dejection are just not right feelings when looking at a villain

I like the maps and the overall story and the big pics with the heroes in action and being menaced. The only down side is the character pics. Possible to have a different artist for the next Champions product when doing the character by the stats please ?

Originally posted by death tribble

Having got this yesterday I have the same problem with this as I had with the UNTIL book. I don't like some of the artwork. Specifically the pics of the villains by their stats. I note that the same artist who did these did the ones in the UNTIL book.

This thread reminded me that I ordered the book, but still haven't heard from my FLGS about them receiving it. However with this little tidbit I am going to go lay the smackdown on them. "Its available in England now, can't you figure out to order it?" The only frustration with my local shop, they are the slowest store in the world to order stuff through. However, they are nice, they know me and I get my comics there too so I stick with them.

I am looking forward to getting this book though. Our group has shrunk and we are now doing round robins where we each GM a plot. Not having any real experience with GMing it will be nice to use these stories. Since we don't play in the CU it will require some changes, but at the very least it provides a good place to start and get ideas from.

Seque

See this thread shows how cool travelling around the world can be. I was lucky enough to get to go on a 2 week tour of Europe last year (Contiki tours are actually really fun if anyone is interested) and we had time to walk over to the British Museum and saw Playing Games and walked through it.

Sorry about the completely random thoughts.

Originally posted by death tribble

I'm finding myself becoming increasingly less excited about the artwork myself. The simple B&W line art just doesn't convey any feel throughout the book. The picture on page 6, for example, what is that supposed to represent?

I don't like to be critical of anyone's art style but about the only pictures I liked in the book were the ones done by JC CRAM because he used greyscale to represent feel. Andrew Cremean's stuff wasn't bad either but I felt it was a tad too dark. The picture on page 24 looks as though I drew it! And the pic of Firedrake looks like something left over from Terran Empire that they just threw stats to so they could use the picture. I was also disappointed in all the re-use of pictures in the book.

I really think it's time DOJ started thinking in terms of one book, one artist. As it is now there is no feel for the characters in the book. When you marry simple layout design to inconsistant art you end up with an average-looking product in a market which is now being dominated by high-end graphics design. I really hope this trend doesn't continue.