how to create a sleep effect

ShadowRaptor

How do you design a sleep spell using the Hero system? I understand Hero enough to do the more obvious effects, but its the more subtle effects that confuse me.

Things like sleep, or just warming up a small area like a campfire effect, things like that.

Sometimes, because of the variety of options available, I just get confused and that's why I come here, to get help. And I know that someone...**killer shrike**....will be able to help. :D

Re: how to create a sleep effect

Originally posted by ShadowRaptor

How do you design a sleep spell using the Hero system? I understand Hero enough to do the more obvious effects, but its the more subtle effects that confuse me.

Things like sleep, or just warming up a small area like a campfire effect, things like that.

Sometimes, because of the variety of options available, I just get confused and that's why I come here, to get help. And I know that someone...**killer shrike**....will be able to help. :D

Sleep: Mind Control, Telepathic Communication, Only to put target to sleep. (Plus, if you're feeling squirrely, Based on CON).

Warming up a small area: use Change Environment.

John D.

I had a player buy a "sleep" spell by using Transformation. The character was transformed into a sleeping character for one hour, at which time he turned back. I thought it was funny and let him use it (2d6 Major Transform, Continuous). The 6 END used until the character was transformed (18 END on average used) more than made up for the fact that the spell was powerful.

Originally posted by Monolith

I had a player buy a "sleep" spell by using Transformation. The character was transformed into a sleeping character for one hour, at which time he turned back. I thought it was funny and let him use it (2d6 Major Transform, Continuous). The 6 END used until the character was transformed (18 END on average used) more than made up for the fact that the spell was powerful.

I've got a similar spell in my game, bought with Partial Effect so it's fairly easy to make a person drowsy. Used with stealth, it's quite handy for guards and the like.

-AA

Here are some options:

Cost Power END
31 Sleep: Suppress STUN 8d6, Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Uncontrolled (Until Target is Woken Up; +1/2) (70 Active Points); All or Nothing (-1), Does not affect targets with LS: Does not Sleep (-1/4) 6
71 Sleep: Drain STUN 8d6, Ranged (+1/2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2) (160 Active Points); All or Nothing (-1), Does not affect targets with LS: Sleep (-1/4) 16
58 Sleep: Entangle vs. CON 2d6, 3 DEF (Stops A Given Sense Group Hearing Group, Stops A Given Sense Group Mental Group, Stops A Given Sense Group Sight Group, Stops A Given Sense Group Smell/Taste Group), Entangle vs. CON (Digital Hero #5; +0), Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4), Invisible to Sight Group, SFX Only (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2) (130 Active Points); Target is asleep; Waking up in any manner escapes the entangle (-1), Does not affect targets with LS: Sleep (-1/4) 13
33 Sleep: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension: Dreamland), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Uncontrolled (Only until woken; +1/2), Usable As Attack (+1), Continuous (+1) (75 Active Points); Resistance Roll CON (-1), Does not affect targets with LS: Sleep (-1/4) [Notes: For STUN base, use CON roll modified by +1 per (STUN-20)/10] 7
18 Sleep: Drain INT 3d6, Ranged (+1/2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Target is asleep; Waking up in any manner escapes the drain (-1), All or Nothing (-1), Does not affect targets with LS: Does Not Sleep (-1/4) 6
16 Sleep: Mind Control 12d6 ( Human class of minds) (60 Active Points); Based on CON (Defense: PD; -1), Target is asleep; Waking up in any manner escapes the Mind Control (-1), Set Effect (Sleeping; -1/2), Does not affect targets with LS: Does Not Sleep (-1/4) [Notes: Sleep depends on the target's state. In battle/extreme activity CON +30, alert but no direct activity/relaxed in unfriendly surroundings CON +20, relaxed in friendly surroundings/exhausted CON +10, meditating/preparing to sleep CON] 6

I don't remember is suppress can be applied to characteristics, but if so, and if as the GM you will allow uncontrolled to apply this is the easiest way to build it.

The drain is pretty straightforward, although expensive.

I like the entangle very much. You could do an Entangle vs. STUN using 1d6/10 STUN to "escape" the entangle. This wouldn't change the cost, although it is pretty unconventional. The entangle would be cheap if it weren't for the sleep simulations (can't sense anything while sleeping/entangled).

The extradimensional movement is a tricky one, although fairly clean. The issue is how do you "resist" it. I added a CON Resistance roll (basically an 11- Activation Roll). You could modify the RR by +/- 1 for -/+ 1/4. You could also base the RR on STUN, but that get's even wierder.

One important thing to realize is that the reason these powers are all so expensive is that putting someone to sleep is effectively neutralizing them. Sleeping or dead... there is very little difference. I don't think it is possible to create a "1st level sleep spell" if that is what you are trying to do.

If you want a sleep SFX on an attack, use any of the standard attack powers and add the "Does not affect targets with LS: Does not Sleep" -1/4 to it.

Draining INT will work quite effectively (and a suppress might work even better). If someone is negative INT, they must make an INT roll to change their action. This could represent a groggy state where they are unsure just what is going on.

The Mind control is nice, but can have a high active point cost. It is probably the best representation of how to put someone to sleep, and the susceptibilities they might have given their mental states. It is also the cheapest. When based on CON, the target gets to use their natural PD to resist (not armor I think).

Hope this helps.