Strike Force: Red Archer

European Enemies: Hood

Dark Champions: Crossbow

Allies: Crossbow

Kingdom of Champions: Yeoman

Watchers of the Dragon: Yoshi

Golden Age Champions: Fletcher

Murderer's Row: Origami

Champions of the North: Minstrel (although primarily a music-based spellcaster)

Digital Hero #17: Scarlet Archer

You might also include the Huntsman of the Black Forest from European Enemies, although he used a sword as much as a bow - not to mention a pack of demonic hounds.

Then there are two archer gods from Greek myth, Artemis and Apollo, who were written up in The Olympians. Conquerors, Killers and Crooks also presented a version of the Chinese war god Guan Di modified to be more of an archer-god.

I know this it out of place but most/all of these characters have charges on there MP slots 4c -1lim etc, can they not take 4c on the MP to refect 4c per slot rather than 4c on the whole MP, just seems wrong and out of step with other MP lims ( maybe 2 levels less on the chart ie 8c -1lim,16c -1/2lim etc).

Its annoyed me for years, and im sure there was something about this in one of the books but i cant find it. Ch 3 possibly.

Actualy Vorch, no they can not. If you take charges on the MP then the MP is limited.

Two characters have the following MP's

Bowman:

30 Bow & Arrows (60 point Reserve): OAF

3u 4d6 RKA: 16 charges -0

3u 12d6 EB: 16 Charges -0

Bowman can now use either slot 16 times, for a total of 32 shots

Crossbow on the otherhand has

30 Crossbow & bolts (60 point reserve): OAF, 16 charges

3u 4d6 RKA

3u 12d6 EB

Crossbow can shoot 16 bolts, it does not matter which kind he fires.

There are advantages to both (but not at the -0level I have used here). Mainly the Bowman's way is more expensive BUT Crossbow would normaly get more versitility

They can have it, the problem is that if they take 4 charges then they can only use 4 arrows.

Think of it this way:

Hawkeye uses a modular arrow system, he has so many arrowheads, but only so many shafts, when he goes to fire one he takes a head puts it on the shaft and fires it.

This would be represented by taking charges on the MP itself (to represent the total number of arrows in the quiver). So if he took 12 charges he would have 12 shafts to fire with

Green arrow on the other hand keeps his heads on his arrows, he might take 4 Blast Arrows, 4 Smoke Arrows, and 4 Razor Sharp Arrows, but these will be limits on the slots instead of the MP itself.

The advantages are as follows for each one

Let's assume they each have the same kind of arrows:

Hawkeye's MP

27 Reserve -1/4 12 Charges, OAF

3u 4d6 RKA

3u 6" Darkness

3u 8d6 EB, Explosion

3u 8d6 Flash, Explosion

------

39 Points

Green Arrows MP

30 60 Reserve OAF

2u 4d6 RKA 3 Charges (-1 1/4)

2u 6" Darkness 3 Charges (-1 1/4)

2u 8d6 EB, Explosion 3 Charges (-1 1/4)

2u 8d6 Flash, Explosion 3 Charges (-1 1/4)

------

Okay, both have 12 arrows, GL has saved a point but can ony use each type three times, Hawkeye on the other hand can use 12 blast arrows if he so chooses (But he will be out of shafts and can no longer use anyothers afterwards)

Think of it this way if it helps, by letting them take charges on the MP and use each slot that many times you are actualy giving an advantage, to use your figures of 4 charges and 10 slots, you are giving a -1 lim to be able to use the MP 40 times, you are essentialy giving a +1/2 advantage for a -1 lim...

At what point in time ( edition ) was it expicitly stated that a MP with a lim of 4c affected the MP reserve rather than the slots, after all 0 dcv on a mp reserve means nothing in and of itself.

And i repeat is a MP with lim 4c per slot a lim?

PS it also means that there arrow selection change by need not by what they have ( small quibble its genre after all )

I don't have a copy of 4th here, so:

I think it was not in 3rd

I know it is in 5th

I know we played it that way in 4th

So I would guess it was in 4th, but probablly in one of the supplement to it (Maybe Dark Champions:HOV or EfE considering the writer)

I don't remember the MP Reserve/Slots Limitation difference being spelled out officially before 5E. In fact the first time I saw it declared was in a transcript of a chat-room discussion that Steve Long held about the upcoming 5th Edition back in (IIRC) 1999, in response to a question.

BTW I remembered another couple of archer characters from Champions books. Two feisty females: Scorpio from The Zodiac Conspiracy; and Atalanta from The Olympians.

Let's look at this another way. Let's assume Ed Archer has 16 slots in his 60 point Multipower, all of which have 4 charges each. It's OAF, so he pays 30 for the base and 2 per ultra slot, for a total cost of 62.

But Ed doesn't like the result. So instead, he takes "OAF Bow" and "-1 variable limitation" on his reserve, and by extension on each slot. The reserve now costs 24 points, as does each slot. Ed has saved 6 points, and he has more options than "4 charges" to place on each slot - and he can change them at will. Ed states that the variable limitation is always "4 charges".

Now, Ed's conception is clearly violated, so the GM says "no, quit trying to point shave. Take 4 charges per slot and cough up the extra 6 points."

But the next character is Freddy Fireblaster. He also has a 16 slot multipower, and he has Variable Limitation -1 on his multipower, as well as OAF - Customizable Fireblast Rifle. Well, this is in character, so I guess Freddy gets a more versatile power suite for 6 points less than Ed paid.

Fair result?

I seem to recall an old rule (house or prior edition) which predated variable limitation and allowed a multipower reserve to have a limitation equal to half the differing limits on the slots, such that if each slot had a -1 limitation, but the limitations differed between slots, the reserve culd have a -1/2. Now we have variable limitation in the rules, but it's not applicable to multipower reserves. What gives?

To sum up what has been listed so far, and to get back on topic:

Zodiac Conspiracy: Scorpio

Olymians: Atalanta, Artemis and Apollo

Strike Force: Red Archer

European Enemies: Hood, Huntsman

Dark Champions: Crossbow

Allies: Crossbow

Kingdom of Champions: Yeoman

Watchers of the Dragon: Yoshi

Golden Age Champions: Fletcher

Murderer's Row: Origami

Champions of the North: Minstrel (although primarily a music-based spellcaster)

Digital Hero #17: Scarlet Archer

CKC: Warpath & Guan Di

Circle and M.E.T.E.: Kor Hunter

To Serve and Protect: Huntsman

Classic Enemies/Enemies III: Rainbow Archer

Any Others?

Originally posted by Demonsong

Silly question: Why don’t any of the bows have the -1/2 Requires 2 hand limitation? It would seem to me that it would be almost mandatory. I have not seen too many one armed archers. :)

Because it is not appropriate for a Champions campeign?

Originally posted by Supreme Serpent

Wow, I think that we're going to end up with more Archers in the CU than in Marvel or DC...

Well, most of these appeared for earlier editions of Champions and Dark Champions. From this list only Scarlet Archer and Warpath are part of the official 5E Champions Universe, and IIRC Scarlet Archer is officially retired.

As the rules are written:

If you want 4 of each arrow you limit the slot (Thus saving you some points). If you want to have only 4 charges on the whole thing, you limit the MP (Thus saving you a good number of points)

To answer your question on is it a limitation, it really depends on how many slots we are talking about:

It is not that limiting if you have 50 slots with 4 charges on each, it is a limit if you have 2 slots

Im defining my MP to have a limit that all its slots will have, all slots of the MP now HAVE to have this limit.

0 Dcv, -1/2 when using Mp slot...... perfectly legal

8c per Mp slot -1/2 .....................no way.

The wording of my argument suggests that it is a legal Lim despite 12 years of hero write ups.