Calling all Archers

JmOz

Demonsong, I can see the point you're making, and the issue could certainly be as big (or as small) of an issue as an individual GM wanted to make it. To my mind, though, a lot of those kinds of issues are part of the normal restrictions on a hand-held OAF; if you're Grabbed, Entangled etc. (the most common in-game events of this type), you can't use that Focus whether it's one-handed or two-handed. I don't know if it's officially defined this way, but for me a two-handed focus is one that you always have to have two hands free to be ready to use at a moment's notice, like carrying it into a combat situation.

There are ways around the particular circumstances you describe if a GM is willing to allow a player a bit of creativity. Carrying an unconscious person? They'll stay draped across your shoulder for a second while you take your shot, especially if you raise both arms to do it. Duffle bag? I often stick my arm through the handles of mine and sling it over my shoulder when I need my hands free. Hanging from a ladder? Hook your knees over one of the rungs.

Impractical? To some extent, sure. But this is adventure fantasy we're talking about, after all. Mind you, I could certainly see the GM assessing penalties to CV and other rolls in these circumstances, but I wouldn't consider them frequent or severe enough to warrant an actual Limitation - again, unless a GM prefers it that way. YMMV :)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let’s look at one other way. Two characters completely the same, down to the last point. One is “The Archer†(cool music sounds in the background), the other is The Swordsman ( more cool music). The only difference between them is The Archers Multi-Power focus is a magical bow and arrows and The Swordsman’s Multi-Power focus is a Magical Sword that has the same effect, charges, points cost……everything. Now the Archer get penalized once every few games because he is being a hero and doing heroic thing but he needs two hands or he takes penalties of using a bow. This is some thing that the Swordsman never has to worry about, because his magical broadsword only ever needs one hand. All this because of a special effect. If you ask me it is enough that it would certainly cause me to change my character concept to the swordsman. Simi-random penalties because of the special effect I choose for flavor, even if it only happens once in a great while is still just not fair IMO.

But then I guess it’s all about play style and I am big in to special effects. :)

As Steve Long puts it, it's a Role Playing Game, not a tax return. You play toward your conception, not to squeeze out every last drop of benefit you can.

By your logic, nobody will ever play someone who fires guns, with a gun multipower with different bullets. That's because he could play someone with a weapon that fires different types of force bolts. In game terms, both multipowers are exactly the same, but the gunner's can be deflected by 15 pts of Missile Deflection, while the Force Bolter requires 20 pts.

Sometimes you just have to accept that some conceptions come with inherent -0 limitations built in.

Okay so far

At the dawn of time:

Circle and M.E.T.E.: Kor Hunter

Strike Force: Red Archer

To Serve and Protect: Huntsman

Big Blue Book Era

Classic Enemies/Enemies III: Rainbow Archer

Zodiac Conspiracy: Sagittarius

Kingdom of Champions: Yeoman

Olymians: Atalanta, Artemis and Apollo

European Enemies: Hood, Huntsman

Champions of the North: Minstrel

Dark Champions: Crossbow

Allies: Crossbow

Golden Age Champions: Fletcher

Murderer's Row: Origami

Watchers of the Dragon: Yoshi

New Millenium (Fuzion):

Bay City: Crimson the Archer

DOJ

CKC: Warpath & Guan Di

Digital Hero #17: Scarlet Archer

Okay I am confident about the DOJ characters (unless some others appeared in DHero), and New Millenium, can some one check San Angelous for me? (I have checked enemies already).

Also any books not listed here, such as High tech enemies

The ones in bold I have drect access to

Okay, time to seperate the archers into the main two catagories "Simple Arrows" and Trick Arrows

Simple Arrows

Olymians: Atalanta

Olymians: Artemis

Olymians: Apollo

European Enemies: Huntsman

Champions of the North: Minstrel

Dark Champions: Crossbow

Watchers of the Dragon: Yoshi

Trick Ammo

Classic Enemies/Enemies III: Rainbow Archer

Kingdom of Champions: Yeoman

European Enemies: Hood

Allies: Crossbow

Golden Age Champions: Fletcher

Bay City: Crimson the Archer

CKC: Warpath

CKC: Guan Di

Digital Hero #17: Scarlet Archer

Unknown:

Circle and M.E.T.E.: Kor Hunter

Strike Force: Red Archer

To Serve and Protect: Huntsman

Zodiac Conspiracy: Sagittarius

Murderer's Row: Origami

Originally posted by JmOz

Looking over the protectors thread it seems that we have another trick archer for the list

To Serve & to Protect: Huntsman

He was mentioned earlier, but must have been overlooked. Be sure to distinguish him from the Huntsman of the Black Forest from EE.

Originally posted by JmOz

Can people with the following books check them for archers, sound off if they don't have any:

402 Mind Games

407 Invasion: Target Earth

408: Day of the Destroyer

409: Invasions from below

412: Demons Rule

No archers in any of those.

Not sure why you're collecting these, Jm, but I feel I should point out that the Champs Universe does have a modern archer as well (Straight Arrow) who will probably get a writeup somewhere, and two Scarlet Archers (the one in DH #17 is from the Silver Age, and he has a GA counterpart with the same name but less shtick (considerably fewer trick arrows.) dw

Originally posted by Darren Watts

Not sure why you're collecting these, Jm, but I feel I should point out that the Champs Universe does have a modern archer as well (Straight Arrow) who will probably get a writeup somewhere, and two Scarlet Archers (the one in DH #17 is from the Silver Age, and he has a GA counterpart with the same name but less shtick (considerably fewer trick arrows.) dw

It was something I got curious on when I was designing my new (PLAYER) Character Bowman, so I decided to track down as many as I could, and if posible there stats, to kind of see what has been done before. It has sense become a little pet project

• 2 years later...

Re: Calling all Archers

By the very ghosts of threads I do summon forth this thread, a troll I sacrifice to allow the rising, I call on the darkest necromancy of the internet to resurect this thread

8-)

Ok, this project never got done, and I am tempted to start it up again. This time I want to include characters from the comics as well, furthermore history. My ultimate goal is to have (for my private use) two documants, the Ultimate Archer, and and Equipment guide called the Ultimate Quiver

so lets see some archers

DC Comics

Green Arrow

Arsenal

Speedy

Huntress

Arrowette

Spider? (I think is his name, he is used as a contnincy implant for GA)

Marvel Comics

Hawkeye

Hawkingbird (Aka Hawkeye II)

Image Comics/Wildstorm

Shaft

Will make a compound list later

DC Comics

Green Arrow

Arsenal

Speedy

Huntress

Arrowette

Spider? (I think is his name, he is used as a contnincy implant for GA)

There were a bunch of other archers who popped up in various GA stories over the years. All very obscure.

There's also a villainous one whose name eludes me, plus Usil, an Italian fascist who popped up in the Young All Stars back in the 80s.

Plus some crossbow folks.

EDIT: How could I forget?

White Feather, from the Inferior Five!

Hmmm, I guess I have to post something here, don't I?

Predators lists an archer in the ranks of the Arsenal. I think his name is Longbow, but I'm not 100% sure (I've lent that sourcebook to one of my friends). No stats are listed for him, but he is a confirmed name in the roster.