Asian Bestiary -- expanded!

Susano

As you may have seen, the HERO System Asian Bestiary is scheduled for 2005. What this means is I have the rest of 2004 to make it better. What I'm looking for is books with information in creatures of Asia (specifically southeast Asia), India, Mongolia, and so on.

And by books I mean reference books. not other companies RPG books. I want to go straight to the source and no duplicate things seen elsewhere.

Thnak you in advance.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0754806049/qid=1077233482//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/102-4690651-3529729?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0520231406/qid=1077233562/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-4690651-3529729?v=glance&s=books

This was a just a quick searck of Amazon. I'm sure your local University library will have more specific books on the areas like Mongolia, Malasyia, Vietnam ect ect ect...

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Heh Susano

Originally posted by TheQuestionMan

Don't leave out South East Asia . Thousands of Islands and each with their own versions of Monsters , Spirits , and Demons . Check out some GURPS Books .

GURPS Japan

GURPS China

GURPS Faerie

GURPS Spirits

GURPS India

GURPS Russia

Well, he did say he didn't want other RPG books. However, the GURPS books do have a reference index themselves. (And I suspect he has most if not all of those...)

Correct. I want to go to the source, as even the GURPS stuff (IMO) does a little too much of "let's just make it up". I do own GURPS China and Japan, don't need Russia for this book, and also have GURPS Undead, Blood Types, and Monsters. India, Faerie, and Spirits sound good, by my RPG budget is directed to HERO products for the moment. Of course, if anyone cares to send me selected titles from the aforementioned book's bibliograhy's I'd be very grateful.

First off let me say that Sengoku by Gold Rush is a better product for monster of Japan then GURPS (still like their world books though but Gold Rush is better when it comes to Japan (Ps. Just Love their Ninja Books)). Now Looking at my library, I have Japanese Tales from Royall Tyler that have some stories of oni, water spirits, fox spirits, dragons and ghost, Davis's Myths and Legend of Japan, The Japanese Fairy Book and Supernatural and Mysterious Japan by Caitlin Ross. The last one has a slight new ageish approach but does include both ancient tales and some modern ghosts. Also I have copy of Hearn's In Ghostly Japan. If any outakes from any of these books would help, just let me know Susano and I will scan section for reference.

G

Originally posted by yamamura

First off let me say that Sengoku by Gold Rush is a better product for monster of Japan then GURPS (still like their world books though but Gold Rush is better when it comes to Japan (Ps. Just Love their Ninja Books)). Now Looking at my library, I have Japanese Tales from Royall Tyler that have some stories of oni, water spirits, fox spirits, dragons and ghost, Davis's Myths and Legend of Japan, The Japanese Fairy Book and Supernatural and Mysterious Japan by Caitlin Ross. The last one has a slight new ageish approach but does include both ancient tales and some modern ghosts. Also I have copy of Hearn's In Ghostly Japan. If any outakes from any of these books would help, just let me know Susano and I will scan section for reference.

I own the Sengoku book (and agree with you 100%). I also own the Davis and Ross books. I found other Hearn books, but not that one, so I'd love to see the relevant parts. The same goes for the Tyler book.

Pardon the slight digression here...

I'm wondering if it would be practical to include some real-world animals from the region. The main problem I'm seeing is that the only creature I can think of offhand that isn't already covered in the Hero System Bestiary is the giant panda. (I suppose one could expand things a bit to include the kangaroo, the koala, and the Tasmanian devil, but I wouldn't.)

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

Pardon the slight digression here...

I'm wondering if it would be practical to include some real-world animals from the region. The main problem I'm seeing is that the only creature I can think of offhand that isn't already covered in the Hero System Bestiary is the giant panda. (I suppose one could expand things a bit to include the kangaroo, the koala, and the Tasmanian devil, but I wouldn't.)

I'd think about including them, and if you can find some information on some of the monsters from Australian Aboriginal legend those would be very interesting things to include in the book. What would the Dreamtime be without the potneital for beings of nightmare?

GURPS Spirits has the latest spirit rules (as you might expect) & I think that it also has the Ectoplasmic Projection Power from GURPS Aces Abroad.It also include various templates,including a sorceror template,so you can now have your mage say "I am a Mage,not a sorceror! Sorcerors summon spirits!" and show the apppropriate template to prove it.

Originally posted by Southern Cross

GURPS Spirits has the latest spirit rules (as you might expect) & I think that it also has the Ectoplasmic Projection Power from GURPS Aces Abroad.It also include various templates,including a sorceror template,so you can now have your mage say "I am a Mage,not a sorceror! Sorcerors summon spirits!" and show the apppropriate template to prove it.

uh huh, and?

Oh, you must include my favorite cryptozoological critter the Mongolian Death Worm. You can find out more about it here.

http://www.occultopedia.com/d/death_worm.htm

This two foot long nasty either spits poison or releases an electrical charge to kill people at range. It's habitat is the southern Gobi Desert. The locals fear this creature and consider it bad luck to even talk about it.

Please add the Mongolian Death Worm to the Asian Bestiary.

And while were at it there should be more cryptozoological critters in the bestariy, bigfoot, Nessie, Caddie, the Beast of Bray Road (Wisconsin Werewolf), the lizard man of South Carolina, Mothman, the skunk ape, etc.

Maybe there could be a cryptozoological besitary for Pulp Hero when that comes out?

Troll

Been there, done that.

:D

Actually, there are several cryptids in the book, since most of them are part of local legend and lore anyways.

There will not be mundane animals (beyond cryptids) in the book as the is meant to be a sourcebook of the fantastic (unless Steve says otherwise).