Golden Age Campaign

Twilight

Re: Golden Age Campaign

Can't believe I didn't mention Ninjas at the time. Nowadays Ninjas are dime-a dozen mooks, in the 40's they were unheard of, mystrerious, and frightening.

Put them in the service of a Fu Manchu type mastermind, only either (a) Japanese in service of the Emperior or (B) a Japanese-American crime lord before the war, striking back at America for interning so many of his minions.

Additonal Golden Age goodness can be had if the first Ninjas they unmask turn out to be women.

"I beat up -- a girl! That was so ungentlemanly of me!" Future encounters with Ninja could have the distaff member doing all the punching while her macho counterparts try to handle them with holds and entangles.

When in doubt: Steal

Ok, awhile ago I tried to start a Golden Age Champions Campaign but it really didn't turn out so well. Undaunted, I am once again making preliminary plans to once again begin my Golden Age Campaign. Of course what I need from you fine people is ideas and most importantly VILLAINS for such a campaign.

I have a few in mind of course but I can use all the help I can possibly get so let's hear those ideas people! C"mon, I know you have `em! :P

Well you can start by stealing the historical Japanese superhero, Tetsujin 28-go (Iron Man 28). This historic giant robot controlled by a small boy with a remote-control watch was one of the earliest post war comic book superheroes in Japan, but his back story was that he was developed for use in the war, but buried by a bombing raid before he could be deployed. But of course he was the 28th prototype to be developed. The earliest Japanese robot hero was a weird shapeshifter who turn himself into a little tank or plane or sub and was actually pre-pacific war. He looked very inoffensive but apparently he was more than met the eye. His adventures were fighting Chinese in the sino-Japanese war but regrettably I can't remember his name. There was also a single panel cartoon during World War II which depicted a giant robot named "Science Warrior" smashing an American city. Personally I called my Golden Age japanese giant robot "Shinigami". (Which means "reaper/death god").

But Japanese and German villains are so jejeune. Let's remember that the Italians were in the war too. That's why I came up with Amaretto Verdi, an Italian contessa who has Poison Ivy's powers, Lucifer a pardoned Italian master criminal modelled on all those European anti-heros of the sixties named stuff like Maniak and Satanik, and I also looked to the sixties for Pantera Bionda, an Italian jungle princess.

Turning away from Italy, you can always get some laughs by porting American superheroes over to the Axis. Kapitan Deutschland, Prinz Dagon der Subseeman, and Fackelmenshch for example.

• 11 months later...

A thing to consider is point values. If you go by the 40's comics, points values are either super agent level or Cosmic beyond the knowledge of man. Very little middle ground. Roy Thomas had to some major mods with power levels on the All Stars run, so using that shows where you should not go.

As a resource, I bought a bunch of CD's from compilations of old comics, pulp magazines and similar on CD (amazing what's out there really). Thier checkout system is a bit baroque but the quality of product is good and I've been mining this stuff for ages. Check them out for ideas.

In my Golden Age game (1938-1941) I mostly used Villains inspired by the Pulps and Victorian Fantastic Literature. Jess Nevins Encyclopedia of Fantastic Victoriana, and his online Pulps Pages, are incredible resources for this stuff. I also listened to a lot of 1940s era Superman radio shows, available for free through itunes and other sources.

Can't believe I didn't mention Ninjas at the time. Nowadays Ninjas are dime-a dozen mooks, in the 40's they were unheard of, mystrerious, and frightening.

Put them in the service of a Fu Manchu type mastermind, only either (a) Japanese in service of the Emperior or (B) a Japanese-American crime lord before the war, striking back at America for interning so many of his minions.

Additonal Golden Age goodness can be had if the first Ninjas they unmask turn out to be women.

"I beat up -- a girl! That was so ungentlemanly of me!" Future encounters with Ninja could have the distaff member doing all the punching while her macho counterparts try to handle them with holds and entangles.

as i learned from this board and pulp hero ther golen age counterparts would be the DACOIT

I think its more relevant to ask if this campaign is even active since it's been six years since the original post.

CES

Csyphrett does have a point about the game. It has been awhile since it was running. That said, I'm still interested in hearing any ideas you might want to post and hope that this thread is helpful to anybody else running a golden age game.