Disease question.

Sociotard

I was writing up a new disease using the bestiary diseases as a template. I did have a few questions. For example, for the NND, can you say defense is "successful CON roll"? What about "Life support (immunity) or successful CON roll (modified by disease point cost/10), whichever the character feels like."

Also, the several stages of disease have extra time limitations on them, reflecting the onset time for their disease. I wanted to modify that so characters, at the end of their time limit, could roll CON to 'reset the clock' so to speak. As an example, rabies has a 1 week extra time for the first stage. If Ranger Joe was bitten, he could roll a successful CON, and stave off the effects for another week, and another, until he finally fails.

The end effect would be a disease that could take a loooong time to kill you, especially if you're unusually strong and healthy (kind of what I'm going for) I thought about writing it as adding an extra 1/4 to the extra time limitation. Waddaya think?

While I'm at it, I'm interested in seeing other diseases/ poisons that herodom has devised. Especially Opium, if you have it.

I don't think it's appropriate to use a CON roll as the only defense to an NND attack. The idea is that the target should have some way of protecting himself from the attack. A CON roll doesn't do that, and leaves it up to chance.

However, if the defense is Life Support or a CON roll, that would be fine. The Life Support fulfills the requirement that NND have a defense; the CON roll is just an extra chance at reprieve for the target.

infected

Once a character is infected then that means that whatever the defense was (life support, etc) has already failed to stop the "bug". The CON roll seems like it could be used to either slow or stop the effects of a disease.

Some diseases though are nasty. I would imagine you could build ebola for example as a disease that reduces CON even as you are hoping to use that CON to fight the disease! If you fail the roll (and it would probably be CON+ some number of dice at that for Ebola) you loose 1 point of CON and some number of points of body. Each time frame (ebola - probably once every 2 hours) you roll again.

Shudder. I never thought of making a diseases and poisons list with effects based on the real thing.

AIDS would be another one that would reduce CON - assuming CON to be the immune system. HERO's book of diseases... yep, I can see a market for THAT soon!

However, if the defense is Life Support or a CON roll, that would be fine. The Life Support fulfills the requirement that NND have a defense; the CON roll is just an extra chance at reprieve for the target.
Yeah, that's what I was leaning towards. I don't have an immunity to intestinal infection, but last time I unwittingly ate some bad hot dogs with my friends, they all went down, and I was okay, and I ate more than any of them! I thought the Con roll would simulate that. It seems nicer too; How many characters take immunity?

Sorry, I'm fresh out.
A funny guy, eh? Ya wanna know what we do to funny guy's around here? ;)

Once more, to the top of the pile

I wrote up the first stage of my disease. I based it on the myths (at least, I assume they're myths) surrounding syphilis. People used to think that syphilis, while fatal, made the victims into brilliant creative geniuses! I'm introducing it as a contraband item in my campaign. People desperate to make some mark in the world, artists, playwrights, scientists, buy syringes of contaminated blood and infect themselves. The disease will kill them, but it will make them brilliant just before they die. Even in the first stage, the victim exibits reduced constitution and hallucinations. However, they develope an obsession with work, sleep as little as 1 1/2 hours per night, and are much more intelligent and skillful than before.

First Stage: Drain CONSTITUTION 2d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 3 months; +2¼), NND (defense is appropriate LS: Immunity or a CONSTITUTION roll by 4 or more; +1) (85 Active Points); Extra Time (one week’s onset time; -4½), Gradual Effect (4 days, ½d6/ day; -1¾) (Total Cost: 12 points) plus Mind Control 4d6, Continuous (+1), Uncontrolled (+½) 0 End (+½) (40 Active Points); Set Effect (Be an Obsessive Workaholic; -1) Extra Time (one week’s onset time; -4½), Gradual Effect (4 days, 1d6/ day; -1¾) (Total Cost 5 points) plus Aid INTELLIGENCE 2d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 3 months; +2¼), Extra Time (one week’s onset time; -4½), Gradual Effect (4 days, ½d6/ day; -1¾), Side Effect (Mental Illusions 3d6 whenever is used; -¼) (Total Cost 9 pts) plus Life Support (only sleep 1½ hours per day); Usable as Attack (+1) (2 Active Points); Extra Time (one week’s onset time; -4½), Gradual Effect (4 days; -1¾) (Total Cost 2 pts) plus +2 Skill Levels (5 pt skill levels); Usable as Attack (+1) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (one week’s onset time; -4½), Gradual Effect (4 days, 1d6/ day; -1¾) (Total Cost 3 pts). Total Cost: 31 points.

Second Stage: Drain CONSTITUTION 2d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 3 months; +2¼), NND (defense is appropriate LS: Immunity or a CONSTITUTION roll by 4; +1) (85 Active Points); Extra Time (After First stage takes full effect; -4½), Gradual Effect (4 days, 1d6/ day; -1¾), Linked (First Stage –½) (Total Cost: 11 points) plus Drain STRENGTH 3d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 3 months; +2¼), NND (defense is appropriate LS: Immunity or a CONSTITUTION roll by 4; +1) (128 Active Points); Extra Time (After First stage takes full effect; -4½), Gradual Effect (4 days, 1d6/ day; -1¾), Linked (Stage 2 Constitution drain –½) (Total Cost: 16 points) plus Mind Control 4d6, Continuous (+1), Uncontrolled (+½) 0 End (+½) (40 Active Points); Set Effect (Be an Obsessive Workaholic; -1) Extra Time (one week’s onset time; -4½), Gradual Effect (4 days, 1d6/ day; -1¾), Linked to Drain (-½) (Total Cost 5 points) plus Aid INTELLIGENCE 1d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 3 months; +2¼), Extra Time (one week’s onset time; -4½), Gradual Effect (4 days, 1d6/ day; -1¾), Side Effect (Mental Illusions 3d6 whenever is used; -¼) (Total Cost 5 pts) plus +2 Skill Levels (5 pt skill levels); Usable as Attack (+1) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (one week’s onset time; -4½), Gradual Effect (4 days, 1d6/ day; -1¾) (Total Cost 3 pts). Total Cost: 40 points.

Third Stage: Drain STUN 3d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 3 months; +2¼), NND (defense is appropriate LS: Immunity or a CONSTITUTION roll by 4; +1) (128 Active Points); Extra Time (After First stage takes full effect; -4½), Gradual Effect (4 days, 1d6/ day; -1¾), Linked (Second Stage –½) (Total Cost: 16 points) plus Drain END 3d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 3 months; +2¼), NND (defense is appropriate LS: Immunity or a CONSTITUTION roll by 4; +1) (128 Active Points); Extra Time (After First stage takes full effect; -4½), Gradual Effect (4 days, 1d6/ day; -1¾), Linked (Stage 2 Constitution drain –½) (Total Cost: 16 points) plus Aid INTELLIGENCE ½d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 3 months; +2¼), Extra Time (one week’s onset time; -4½), Gradual Effect (4 days, 1d6/ day; -1¾), Side Effect (Mental Illusions 3d6 whenever is used; -¼) (Total Cost 4 pts) plus +2 Skill Levels (5 pt skill levels); Usable as Attack (+1) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (one week’s onset time; -4½), Gradual Effect (4 days, 1d6/ day; -1¾), Linked (Drain Stun & End (Total Cost 3 pts). Total Cost: 40 points.

Fourth Stage: Drain BODY 7d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 3 months; +2¼), NND (defense is appropriate LS: Immunity or a CONSTITUTION roll by 4; +1) (128 Active Points); Extra Time (After First stage takes full effect; -4½), Gradual Effect (4 days, 1d6/ day; -1¾), Linked (Third Stage –½) (Total Cost: 38 points) plus +2 Skill Levels (5 pt skill levels); Usable as Attack (+1) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (one week’s onset time; -4½), Gradual Effect (4 days, 1d6/ day; -1¾), Linked (Drain BODY; -½) (Total Cost 3 pts). Total Cost: 41 points.

Here's the rest of it. As the Disease progresses, the hallucinations get more vivid, the obsession to work more intensifies, and the patient gets weaker. The disease is bacterial, so it can be treated. Untreated, almost no-one survives.

Originally posted by Monolith

I have no problem allowing a Characteristic roll to be the defense in an NND attack. I have used many different times covering many different SFX with many different Characteristics. At least with a CHA roll everyone has a chance to avoid the effect.

I totally agree!

Unless you are playing "Burning Zone Hero" where everyone wears full HazMat/BioHazard Gear most of the time, a given Character should only have, maybe a 5% chance of having the proper defense for an NND based on Life Support:Immunity to Terrestrial Diseases.

On the other hand, even a perfectly Normal Character has an 11 or less, better than 50%, chance of being "immune" due to making a CON roll.

Seems perfectly fair to me.

KA.

Originally posted by AnotherSkip

not at -1/10AC they don't!!!

I like the LS: Immunity or the CHAR Roll at -1/10AC (or other arbitrary number, some diseases have over 100 active points).

If it's just the CHAR Roll, I'd say it's just a straight roll. An 11- is reasonably common, but a 6- isn't.

Just to be difficult

I've already created someone with Disease powers, although mine was more simplistic in it's damaging abilities. I don't have the write-up in front of me. Depending on the disease inflicted by the villain, it was either a CON drain or/and STR drain and/or END drain and/or STUN drain and/or BODY drain. Again, depends on the disease. Fortunately, my mom, a nurse, had a book on diseases and the effects on the human system so I could see how the disease should effect statistics. I don't avoid reading books like that unless you have strong willpower.

Regardless of the damage inflicted, the defense of the power worked out like this:

AVLD (Power Def), not vs LS: Disease, target gets CON/5 as automatic Power Def.

Someone with a high CON would automatically be more likely to fight off the disease faster. I think that's how I wrote up the power at any rate.

I like the LS: Immunity or the CHAR Roll at -1/10AC (or other arbitrary number, some diseases have over 100 active points).
Agreed. I went with "real points/ 10" for each stage. Each stage had about 40 real points, so they could avoid the disease with a CON roll -4.

egardless of the damage inflicted, the defense of the power worked out like this:

AVLD (Power Def), not vs LS: Disease, target gets CON/5 as automatic Power Def.

Someone with a high CON would automatically be more likely to fight off the disease faster. I think that's how I wrote up the power at any rate.

Veeery interesting. I am confused, though. The disease wouldn't work against LS and power def of CON/5 applied? Isn't AVLD supposed to be a much larger advantage than NND, like +2, or some such thing? Normal diseases have NND with just a LS, and your writeup offers a wider range of defenses. Still, the defense idea is one I'll have to consider.

Originally posted by Dr. Anomaly

Side Effects affect the person who uses or activates the Power, not the target of the Power.

The only exception I can think of off hand is the Dangerous Whatever modifier for vehicles...a rocket's thrust, a helicopter's blades, etc.

Normally true. However, FREd also states that when applied to an adjustment power intended to help the target, such as aid or heal, the side effect could apply to the recipient. It goes on to say that such a limitation is worth 1/4 (or was it 1/2) less as a limitation.

Originally posted by devlin1

My two cents:

Ditch the Mind Control, and make it Side Efects (Psych. Lim.: Obsessed with work, VCom, Tot).

Can psych lims be used as side effects? If so, your idea is better. I could even make the severity increase with time. (stage 1: moderate; stage 2 strong etc)