Day jobs for characters...

Tetsuyama

Librarian?

Originally posted by Morningstar70

I always liked Librarian and bartender/bar owner for superhero jobs.

Librarian - access to massive gobs of information, some of which hasn't even been saved in electronic format. Also, a good excuse to put those ancient books from the "private collection" as a plot device.

Trust me as a Librarian. We have about as much 'free time' as a teacher, perhaps less. If I had Superspeed and 'Does not sleep' maybe I'd get ahead enough to think about 'saving the world'. Either that or library users who actually know where to put the books when they've finished with them and how to not damage the books (sorry, ranting). Sure I've got gobs of information at my fingertips but, trust me Librarian as Follower is a much better idea (and less stressful for everyone concerned).

Then again I wouldn't mind playing 'The Librarian' who has "Enraged: when books are damaged" as a Disadvantage.

I know it sounds kina juvenile, but (for high COM female characters) PS: Stripper is a really great job. Flexible hours, great money, and no real qualifications other than being able to dance. Plus you can troll for weirdos to thug and make the world just a little bit safer (and less sticky...) :D

Originally posted by Deejmeister

I know it sounds kina juvenile, but (for high COM female characters) PS: Stripper is a really great job. Flexible hours,

Well, flexible scheduling anyhow - I used to work in a related field, so I know a bit about the "other side" of the job. Provided you can call in, your time is your own, though.

great money,

Only if you're really hot, or fairly hot and come across to the marks. OTOH, it's a great way to justify any strange money levels - all the dancers I knew spent money like water.

and no real qualifications other than being able to dance. Plus you can troll for weirdos to thug and make the world just a little bit safer (and less sticky...) :D

You're right about the "no real qualifications" part - heck, you don't even need to be a great dancer. It's a good way to meet your contacts, too.

I have a college student, a federal Super Agent, an inventor who owns the company, a baseball player and several freelance types. The only one that has a problem is the student but she compensates by studying constantly and has a semi-public ID. Was too much work to maintain it Secret.

I forgot...

....Vegeance (not mine). Her day job (night job) was as a coroner in a Dark Champions campaign but something happened where her civilian self was believed to be and so she is now believed dead and exists only as her hero ID.

Was for the best, she's got enough to do.

Hmmm.. out of my current characters that ARE PCs...

Lone Star- Is a substitute History teacher... in the PBEM he's in, he's about to encounter a problem in scheduling it looks like. *Gulp*

Slammer- My force field repulsing brick has a 'public ID', and merchandises himself quite well. Ironically enough, when he first got his powers and his physique was altered so his own parents didn't recognize him, he was homeless for a bit. He got a job at a junk yard acting as a living compacter :) If you're a brick and down on your luck, get a job demolishing legally.

Surge- While he has a true gift for science (His father's influence and his own interest), Peter Stone works as a Comic Book artist...drawing, you guessed it, the Surge comic book for an independent comic book company.

Wildcard- Escape artist and stage magician. Not only a fun job, but a good way to rationalize a LOT of useful skills :)

In the group we are in now there is a Rock Musician, kind of small scale but there are times he has problems getting out but he has a Pub ID so it helps..

A University professor... Until his building went boom..

A CEO... I know they have tons of time right!

A Govt. Sponsored hero so he don't really work...

Others I have seen or thought of though would be

Morgue Assistant-Get the lowdown on some crimes plus you work weird hours anyway.

Grad Student... those guys never go to class anyway.

Construction Worker... You don't feel like working??

Mortician... I like dead things....

Truck Dirver... Mobile base on wheels.

Freelance Designer/Artist/Writer/Photographer... Gives you a reason why you aren;t a 9 to 5 er and allows you mobility...

Farmer... uhhhh... yeah!:confused:

Beer Delivery Guy... Just think of the plot hooks with that one!:rolleyes:

Model... You have some strange hours but there is a lot of demand on your time...

Radio DJ... hey you work 4 hours a day...

Who knows there are tons of possibilities. Our group has a tendency to follow the same tendencies.... I finally kind of switche d this time and played a Brick that looks like a heroine addict 5ft 10 in weighs 130Lb.. Very deceptive.....

:eek:

Re: Day jobs for characters...

Originally posted by Tetsuyama

I've been doing some work trying to come up with some sort of list of standard skills for a variety of jobs that characters might have as their day job, or as a background job. Is this the sort of thing that anyone is interested in? Has anyone else come up with a list of jobs that they use?

My very first champs character was a shoeshine boy.

On the current "Champions 2018":

Defender - Inventor with several patents. His predecessor sometimes feeds him consulting contracts from Harmon Industries.

Eternia - As a former test subject, she has considerable scientific acumen but no formal education or socioeconomic skills. The team is helping her adjust to the world outside Teleios' lab; she's gotten modelling offers.

Marchwarden - Well, back home he's a Marchwarden, a noble calling in his own culture. Still doesn't get capitalist society, but as a sort of diplomatic envoy, he's entitled to some hospitality. They put him up at the base.

Radar Rider - with his radiowave control powers, he's very handy as a DJ or performer. Doesn't need much equipment.

Heartseeker - Conservation activist. Also sometimes appears on her parents' show, or at their zoo.

You know, I never really noticed what a bunck of slackers we are. Thankfully, we have Defender I as a benefactor.

• 3 years later...

Of the Wild Rovers (the team I'm GMing)...

Sun Walker (mutant energy projector) is in show business (actor/singer/dancer). Like Solitaire, he has a Public ID, so mixing his careers, while difficult, at least doesn't require much secrecy.

Orca, the half-Atlantean, does odd jobs for the Atlantean royal family and human oceanological concerns (provided their intentions are benign).

Witch Hazel began as a high school student; she has just graduated, and now studies via correspondence with the Trismegistus Council.

Shasta is a sentient plant-girl and so, as Hermit pointed out, doesn't really need a job - she can just stand in the sun on public land and photosynthesize. However, she does some consulting work for environmental groups.

Renegade can't get legitimate work on account of his secret backstory, but hais few material needs. Sun Walker, who is sympathic to the plight of the undocumented, basically covers for him.

My quasi-current character, Lindsay "Gojira-chan" Connor, doesn't have a secret ID, but she divides her time between college and working for research department of an aquarium, where her knowledge of the field and her amphibious nature make her a valuable if somewhat generalized asset.

Also, it's handy to have someone who can carry the submersible around.

Always thought that being a cab driver was a great complimentary job to being a super-hero.

It's a perfect cover for patrolling in your civilian I.D. and could even be used to get info from the streets or from high society.

Also , you never have to rationalize toanyone why you're in the area.

Thats why Moon Knight has that as one of his secret identities

I have a character who is one of the few experts into the origin and nature of superpowers and does a lot of freelance work for the government and universities. That way any super-battle is explained away as doing research. Another character got rich off his inventions before becoming a superhero. A third is a college student and has to work his tail off to catch up with his studies. But that's OK since he hasn't picked a major yet. He'd be a full time student for life if he had his way. (He doesn't think that far ahead. Everyone is pushing him to take control over his life so he's rebelling by doing nothing.)

Here are the less interesting jobs that still turned out to entertaining in game...

Telemarketer

Door-to-door salesman

Shoe Salesman (Yup. Shoe Salesman. No, his name wasn't Al.)

Wouldn't these be an occupation for a superVILLAIN? (especially a telemarketer)