Teen Heroes & Static Shock

FenrisUlf

With all this talk about Teen Champions, I have to ask: does anyone else here watch Static Shock? I think it does a good job at presenting 'teen heroes', even if some of the episodes have been more than a bit loopy by my standards.

And does anyone know why the series went from 'the only superheroes are the bang babies in Dakota' to being a full-fledged part of the DC universe?

Re: Teen Heroes & Static Shock

Originally posted by FenrisUlf

And does anyone know why the series went from 'the only superheroes are the bang babies in Dakota' to being a full-fledged part of the DC universe?

Because the producers of the cartoon wanted to do a Static / JLA crossover. (Not that it was really a long stretch as the original Static comic had been published by DC as part of the Icon(sp?) imprint).

John D

Originally posted by Blue Jogger

I would guess they became part of the DC universe when it became clear that Static wasn't just a teen hero. He has lots of powers now then when he started with. In the last show, he had an electric force wall, his electric bolts (with lots of tricks) and telekinesis (apparently picking people up by their electrons).

As well as High Range Radio Hearing [more then once he's been able to hear police radio broadcasts with no help at all], a flash and using his electric powers to juice up his punch. In the past he's proven powerful enough to repower the Justice League's satellite and recharge the Green Lantern's Power Ring.

My guess as to why they made him part of the DC Universe was to boost ratings for the show. The episodes where he teamed with Batman, Superman or the Justice League were heavily promoted as events by the WB.

Now if only they'd stop the celebrity team ups. :rolleyes:

Re: Re: Teen Heroes & Static Shock

Originally posted by John Desmarais

Because the producers of the cartoon wanted to do a Static / JLA crossover. (Not that it was really a long stretch as the original Static comic had been published by DC as part of the Icon(sp?) imprint).

John D

It was actually under the Milestone imprint, which was the first African-American owned comic company. It was unfortunately much overlooked by the glut of new companies and imprints in the comics frenzied 90s. I am a huge fan of both the comics (I have a near complete run) and the toon. I really like the way that Virgil has developed in both his powers and his character over the course of the show. I was pleasantly surprised by a recent episode that featured The Nightbreed, which had characters from Milestone's team book, The Blood Syndicate, my favorite of the line.

Originally posted by Metaphysician

Static Shock, the cartoon, *isn't* in the DC Animated Continuity. Too many inconsistencies. It might be in continuity with the animated Teen Titans, though, considering that they almost certainly aren't animated canon, either. . .

Uh....sorry that's incorrect.

The fact that Static has teamed up with every member of the Justice League with the exception of Wonder Woman points out that the cartoon IS in fact in the DC Animated Continuity.

Originally posted by Twilight

In the past he's proven powerful enough to repower the Justice League's satellite and recharge the Green Lantern's Power Ring.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I hope they didn't actually do that...

"In the Brightest Day!

In the Darkest Night!

Let Static recharge

my Power Ring's Might!"

"Here we go now, here we go..."

Originally posted by Blue Jogger

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I hope they didn't actually do that...

"In the Brightest Day!

In the Darkest Night!

Let Static recharge

my Power Ring's Might!"

"Here we go now, here we go..."

No no, it wasn't like that.

Sinestro had stolen Green Lantern's power battery and had framed him for a bunch of robberies. Eventually Static figured out what was up and they teamed together to fight Sinestro. At the beginning of the fight Sinestro made a comment about GL's Power Ring being out of energy.

GL's reply: "I had a friend give me a recharge. It's a bit different, but it works."

So it happened off screen, though we do see Static using his own powers to boost GL's powers to stomp Sinestro. Then he retrieves the Power Battery and does the proper Green Lantern oath. So you needn't worry. :D

Uh....sorry that's incorrect.

The fact that Static has teamed up with every member of the Justice League with the exception of Wonder Woman points out that the cartoon IS in fact in the DC Animated Continuity.

Nope, it merely proves that there is a version of the Justice League in Static's universe, sometimes.

To prove that it is in continuity with the Animated DCU would require showing that there is a version of Static in the Animated DCU, and that these are the same versions of both sets of characters.

Nope, it merely proves that there is a version of the Justice League in Static's universe, sometimes.

To prove that it is in continuity with the Animated DCU would require showing that there is a version of Static in the Animated DCU, and that these are the same versions of both sets of characters.

That's ridiculous. They HAVE already done that by having Static team with the Justice League and with his numerous teamups with Batman.

Newsflash: That shows him as being a part of the Animated DCU. The same Justice League that is on the Justice League show teamed up with Static on his show, that proves they're in the same continuity as does Static's team ups with Batman and Superman. It's really not that hard to figure out.

That's ridiculous. They HAVE already done that by having Static team with the Justice League and with his numerous teamups with Batman.

Newsflash: That shows him as being a part of the Animated DCU. The same Justice League that is on the Justice League show teamed up with Static on his show, that proves they're in the same continuity as does Static's team ups with Batman and Superman. It's really not that hard to figure out.

Not so riduculous actually. Comic book continuity is waxy at best and this holds doubly true for their animated counterparts. Metaphysician wins the cigar on this one. It's only canon if it diretly appears or is mentioned in the respective series. In Static's universe there is a JLA, but not necessarly is there a Static in the JLA universe. Your proof doesn't hold up to the test.

Originally posted by Law Dog

Not so riduculous actually. Comic book continuity is waxy at best and this holds doubly true for their animated counterparts. Metaphysician wins the cigar on this one. It's only canon if it diretly appears or is mentioned in the respective series. In Static's universe there is a JLA, but not necessarly is there a Static in the JLA universe. Your proof doesn't hold up to the test.

*bzzt* Sorry that is incorrect, your test is faulty and both you and Metaphysician end up in the corner wearing dunce caps.

The fact that they have been shown to be in the same universe and that both universes share continuity [The Justice League team-up came after the JL episode with Brainiac and Warworld for example and his teamup with Superman shows direct continuity with the episode of the Superman: Animated Series featuring the Darla robot] proves Static and the Justice League are in the same Animated continuity.

It's that simple.

*bzzt* Sorry that is incorrect, your test is faulty and both you and Metaphysician end up in the corner wearing dunce caps.

The fact that they have been shown to be in the same universe and that both universes share continuity [The Justice League team-up came after the JL episode with Brainiac and Warworld for example and his teamup with Superman shows direct continuity with the episode of the Superman: Animated Series featuring the Darla robot] proves Static and the Justice League are in the same Animated continuity.

It's that simple.

Sorry, wrong.

Unless you want Wendy, Marvin and Wonder Dog to show-up and tell the JLA they're moving back in.

Bwahahahaha!

Originally posted by Law Dog

Sorry, wrong.

Unless you want Wendy, Marvin and Wonder Dog to show-up and tell the JLA they're moving back in.

Bwahahahaha!

Nope, correct.

In the current DC Universe Animated Continuity Wendy, Marvin and the Wonder Dog don't exsist.

Static however does, as shown by his numerous team ups with Batman as well as his team ups with Superman and the Justice League.

This is fun!

Isn't there an episode of Static where he meets up with Batman Beyond and a future version of himself? So he is also in continuity with Batman Beyond.

As Batman Beyond is in the same continuity as Zeta of the Zeta Project, then this just keeps getting bigger and bigger!

Again, you are making a fundamental error: Assuming that the JL that appeared in Static Shock are the same JL that appears in JL:TAS. They need not be, there is no evidence they are, there is significant evidence they aren't.

Continuity goes both ways; it is possible for series A to be in continuity with series B, but for series B to not be in continuity with series A.

I thought we solved all of that with Crisis of Infinite Universes...

Oh, wait, then Kingdom Come messed it all up.

You're all right. It just depends upon which parallel universe we're looking at. However, since the WB owns (or at least their parent company) the rights to these shows and the animation style is the same (not anything like the Super Friends), I'm with Twilight on this one.:D

Again, you are making a fundamental error: Assuming that the JL that appeared in Static Shock are the same JL that appears in JL:TAS. They need not be, there is no evidence they are, there is significant evidence they aren't.

Continuity goes both ways; it is possible for series A to be in continuity with series B, but for series B to not be in continuity with series A.

Wrong!

There is no evidence to suggest that they aren't, absolutely none. However there is tremendous evidence that they are. However the only evidence we require at the moment is the fact that the creator of Static, who also writes for the Justice League show, has stated that Static is indeed in the current DC Animated Continuity.

Originally posted by Kristopher

This from the guy who is one half of an arguement that can be summed up as follows.

"Wrong!"

"Correct!"

"Wrong!"

"Correct!"

"Wrong!"

"Correct!"

Which only proves that you didn't take the time to actually read the arguement before sticking your nose in with your unwanted comments. Here's some advice, if you don't care for the debate DON'T READ IT! :mad: