Aircraft Carrier...*Rant on*

Patriot

Originally posted by Patriot

they are 350 pointers , and they are upset that when i told then they were gonna fight bank robbers for a little while used the Fox of crime

they wanna have an aircraft carrier , but fight thugs.....I can only bend so far

It's starting to sound like the game you want to run and the game your players want to play in are two different campaigns. You may want to have a talk with them about it and possibly adjust some things, or risk everyone, you included, not having fun with it.

Originally posted by Supreme Serpent

It's starting to sound like the game you want to run and the game your players want to play in are two different campaigns. You may want to have a talk with them about it and possibly adjust some things, or risk everyone, you included, not having fun with it.

Yeah sounds like two different games. On thinking about it I don't see an issue with them getting the carrier if a) There is a viable way of getting, either a rich sponser or one of the hero has wealth and B) they are willing to spend points on it. Under B) As Ghost Archer said, the ship is stripped, so combining that with Korvar's suggestion you have a way for them to refit it as they have points to spend on it.

It would provide a unique base for the heroes which would give the campaign a unique flavor. Also there are plenty of plot hooks. Imagine an entire game where the team wakes up to the proximity alarms going off. They are scattered through out the ship and have to search for the intruder. The halls and rooms of ships are extremely small. It would limit the movement of the heroes and villains and provide for a fun bit of cat and mouse. It might make the evening more like a board game, but it could be a fun in-game break. As the progress and if they decide to buy movement powers for the ship then the more powerful heroes might decide to become a global road, er ship show.

Ultimately it is your decision, but remember, the number one rule is that everyone has fun.

Re: Aircraft Carrier...*Rant on*

Hey, I think it is a great idea. A very unique base.

If they want to do city wide adventures... stop bank robbers and such, make it immobile for awhiile... I think that is a wonderful idea. Just park it out in the bay with the city's blessings. Like someone else said, it means that their fair city ain't getting hammered every other week with supervillians.

And this is a superhero world right? Over time, if they spend attention and xp on it, let them upgrade to all kinds of neato keen comic book tech. Better engines, solar panels, decent electronics, resulting in a much, much smaller crew needed to maintain.

I think that this could really be like an extra NPC for you guys...takes on a character of its own. Someone mentioned a ghost story... that is a cool idea.

As for not wanting to do research... I don't think you have to do much. I'm sure one of these Navy guys can point you to a nice map of the damn thing... or something very equivalent. It ain't coming with weapon systems (and they would be antiquated to boot).

Dammit! I want it for my team!

Do your players want to actually GO places in this boat? The Aircraft Carrier itself isn't the most efficient means of superheroic travel. "Dr. Destroyer just took over Fiji! Never fear, the Freedom Squadron will be there in a week!"

However, if it were just a floating base, with the ability to occasionally move (say, if the characters were to go on an exteded adventure away from Chicago, and would like their base to be nearby for the duration). I see no problem with that.

I'd build it as a base, see what the points come out to, ask the players how many points they're willing to donate to the cause, then round out the rest with Disad points. (Such as: Hunted - WWII Historical Preservation Society, 14-, or Distinctive Features: WWII era Aircraft Carrier).

As a base it wouldn't even need that much crew. Just enough staff to ensure the lights stay on.

Is this a post 9/11 world? Just wondering, because I'm not sure the feds would be so inclined as to allow an aircraft carrier coming in and out of their ports.

You also could have a villain out-bid them for it. Now that's irony for ya :D

Yes they want it to be able to move from port to port. I already told a few of them to excpect CLOWN to molest them once or twice painting it to look like the Love Boat ' date=' and supplying uniforms for them[/quote']

That is classic. Worth giving them the Carrier in the first place. I'd have CLOWN land on deck in a "Spruce Goose" inspired aircraft and have Merry Andrew in a flight suit give a GW Bush-esque "Mission Accomplished" Soliloquy.

Or have the principal CLOWNs give the carrier a "CLOWN eye for the HERO guy" makeover.

That is classic. Worth giving them the Carrier in the first place. I'd have CLOWN land on deck in a "Spruce Goose" inspired aircraft and have Merry Andrew in a flight suit give a GW Bush-esque "Mission Accomplished" Soliloquy.

Or have the principal CLOWNs give the carrier a "CLOWN eye for the HERO guy" makeover.

The Spruce Goose wouldn't fit on that carrier. And CLOWN needs a bullet to the head.

Not much is actually going to fit on that carrier if it's modern and has fixed wings. IIRC, the Majestic class had an airwing of about 40 in WW2, but then we're talking Seafires and Corsairs, not anything remotely modern. When she was upgraded as the Minas Geras, I'm pretty sure they were operating Skyhawks off the decks and ramping up to Etendards. With Skyhawks (Which are relatively teeny tiny little jets) the airwing was something like 20 aircraft, but I think that included the helo contingent as well. (And that was between 6-8 helos)

So my question basically, do they want to actually land planes on it?

If so, how big? In addition to the catapults, arrestor wires and gear probably needing a HUGE upgrade, I'd bet hard currency that the elevators couldn't handle the weight much less the size of say your typical one off ex-USAF Super recon plane used by most groups as a team plane. A quinjet would work though. :)

Not much is actually going to fit on that carrier if it's modern and has fixed wings. IIRC, the Majestic class had an airwing of about 40 in WW2, but then we're talking Seafires and Corsairs, not anything remotely modern. When she was upgraded as the Minas Geras, I'm pretty sure they were operating Skyhawks off the decks and ramping up to Etendards. With Skyhawks (Which are relatively teeny tiny little jets) the airwing was something like 20 aircraft, but I think that included the helo contingent as well. (And that was between 6-8 helos)

So my question basically, do they want to actually land planes on it?

If so, how big? In addition to the catapults, arrestor wires and gear probably needing a HUGE upgrade, I'd bet hard currency that the elevators couldn't handle the weight much less the size of say your typical one off ex-USAF Super recon plane used by most groups as a team plane. A quinjet would work though. :)

Get something VTOL.

With Skyhawks (Which are relatively teeny tiny little jets) the airwing was something like 20 aircraft' date=' but I think that included the helo contingent as well. (And that was between 6-8 helos)[/quote']

Your memory is pretty good. Follow the links I provided if you want more details since they're pretty extensive.

The Spruce Goose wouldn't fit on that carrier. And CLOWN needs a bullet to the head.

CLOWN can make *anything* fit on the Carrier, so long as the result was funny. After all, Merry Andrew is a genius just shy of Dr. Destroyer's league (33 INT), he can come up with something.

And the bullet to the head's been done. It's why Tag has that steel plate nowadays. :D .

Get something VTOL.
Ah, but that starts a whole new area of fun, the blast from the V/TOL ripping up or melting the flight deck. I'm not sure how the Soviets were ever going to get around that problem with the Freestyle as it used to blow chunks of asphalt out of the runway. Though the JSF has some promise with a cooler mixture and diffused force on impact. Once you get to big planes though, it's hole digging time! ;)

Lemming: Ah, thanks, I'll go cruise a bit and read.

EDIT: Agreed, if it's funny, I'd let clown land a Saturn V on the flightdeck.

Ah' date=' but that starts a whole new area of fun, the blast from the V/TOL ripping up or melting the flight deck. I'm not sure how the Soviets were ever going to get around that problem with the Freestyle as it used to blow chunks of asphalt out of the runway. Though the JSF has some promise with a cooler mixture and diffused force on impact. Once you get to big planes though, it's hole digging time! ;)[/quote']

How is this handled with Harrier series? Modern US and Brit carriers seem quite capable of handling VTOL jetblast.

*Nod* It's a problem mostly endemic with anything other than a harrier or a Yak-36. To get a true Supersonic interceptor/attack plane, you need a bigger engine with a LOT more thrust. To get more range, you need more fuel and thus a heavier plane. To carry a worthwhile warload, you need a heavier plane. It just spirals up and up until you have these planes that weigh about twice what the Harrier does blowing holes in the asphalt.

When the USMC updated the Harrier II, they only upped the engine incrementally. The huge change was to the wings and pilot area. Bigger wings, more lift, rolling takeoffs. Presumably you drop the munitions and come back with less fuel so the Harrier is now light enough to land vertically.

It's not uncommon even among conventional aircraft though, a fully loaded Tomcat can't land on a carrier (Unless they fixed that with F-14D, I know it was a huge problem with the A/B)

Guest Kolava

I support the players on this one whole heartedly. Specifics shouldn't stand in the way of stuff that is cool :cool:

Besides, maybe their wanderlust is a subtle way of telling you they are sick of Chicago?