"No Lock Can Hold Me" Power

S7Michelle

I am trying to figure out how to best model a power that represents a super lock picking/contortionist type skill for my thief character. The basic idea is that she is skilled enough that give a bit of time, she can find some way to get out of most any type of bond, locked room, etc. whether it be by picking a lock, flexing her body in just the right way to wriggle out of the ropes, or whatever. I got the initial idea from the “Super Contortionist†skill listed in Fred as an Desolification example and tweaked it a bit so that it felt more the way I saw it working for my character.

11 No Lock can hold me: Desolidification (affected by any attack) (40 active points); Does not protect against damage (-1), Only to simulate skill at escaping from bonds or picking locks (-1/2), Extra Time (One full turn, -1 ¼)

And for the most part I do like it. The only problem is that now I’m trying to figure out the best way to model the fact that, at least part of the time, the power could be usable by others. For instance, if Cannis picks the lock to get into our or of a room, then I’m having a hard time seeing why everyone else with her couldn’t get in or out as well. (Am I over thinking things again?) I know there is an advantage called useable by others which probably could reflect that fact. But useable by others, simultaneously, up to potentially a fairly large group of people, gets insanely expensive very fast.

One option would be to just buy my lock picking, contortionist and security systems skills up to over 18- levels. I, by that point, will have all three of course. Though I prefer the absoluteness of the desolid and the fact that it would as a special effect ensure that I always had my lock picks or something equivalent handy.

Suggestions, recommendations, alternative approaches?

Thanks,

Michelle

Re: "No Lock Can Hold Me" Power

I like what you have. It probably requires all her concentration to pick a good lock - you could add a limitation. To help out your friends, how about - the advantage "usable by others" modified by more extra time and a concentration limitation. It could keep the cost reasonable. I think bumped up lock picking skills are an essential part of this package, and the time constraints could add dramatic tension.

I've considered a super burglar, and I wonder if a group of supers could take him down...

I like what you have. It probably requires all her concentration to pick a good lock - you could add a limitation. To help out your friends, how about - the advantage "usable by others" modified by more extra time and a concentration limitation. It could keep the cost reasonable. I think bumped up lock picking skills are an essential part of this package, and the time constraints could add dramatic tension.

I've considered a super burglar, and I wonder if a group of supers could take him down...

You could look at the possibility of a multipower that has desolid and tunnelling (invisible power effects) as ultras and possibly other twists on the whole escape thing that you need to model. Tunnelling through a door would provide access for all those other people without getting insanely expensive. You could even limit the multipower by requiring a lockpicking/escapology skill roll on any power used.

I think these might actually be better simulated as two powers. One for escaping bonds, the other for opening locks. These are pretty different effects. Keep the desolid for escaping bonds, increasing the limit by removing the open locks part. Then, either buy up your lockpicking to asburd levels, or buy a power to simulate the ability. Maybe a minor transform? Locked to unlocked? Doc's tunneling idea has merit as well.

I would just give you the ability to free comrades as part of your SFX and leave it at that. There's no reason to complicate matters. Similarly, your character can't use this power while someone else (hostile to the character) is looking, or they'll just come in, slap you around while you're still trying to untie yourself, and tie you back up again, more securely this time.

To me this is like buying running as a skateboard -- you may get a couple inches extra movement going downhill, and lose them when going over rough terrain. It all comes out in the wash.

The lockpicking power I came up with a while back was built with Transform.

Minor Transform (locked lock to unlocked lock) 1d6 No Range (7 points)

Bigger/More Complex locks take longer, and they stay unlocked (heal with relocked by someone else).

The lockpicking power I came up with a while back was built with Transform.

Minor Transform (locked lock to unlocked lock) 1d6 No Range (7 points)

Bigger/More Complex locks take longer, and they stay unlocked (heal with relocked by someone else).

This is the way I'd do it as well, but add either Restrainable or Gestures (possibly, but probably not given your power description), and certainly extra time. Possibly IIF Lockpicking Tools of Opportunity as well.

Aroooo

I've considered a super burglar' date=' and I wonder if a group of supers could take him down...[/quote']

Just out of curiosity, what other powers do you see a super burglar having?

Mine is somewhat Catwomanesque. (Animal Empathy, high dex and acrobatic type abilites, staff instead of a whip).

Michelle

It always amazes me how many ways there are to do something in Champions. Thank you for all of the suggestions.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the transform locked to unlocked idea, with the contortionist part made a seperate power and probably gotten a good bit later. But all of the ideas sound very workable.

You could have something like teleport 2" usable simultaneously (+1/2) area effect one hex (+1/2) uncontrolled (+1/2) continuous (+1) 0 end (+1/2) persistent (+1/2) must pass through intervening space (-1/4) gate (-1/2).

18 active points and 10 real points. Turning off the "gate" involves simply relocking the door or retying the knots on the target.

Just out of curiosity, what other powers do you see a super burglar having?

Mine is somewhat Catwomanesque. (Animal Empathy, high dex and acrobatic type abilites, staff instead of a whip).

Michelle

Mmm...

Missed Me: +4 DCV Cost END (-1/2) (acrobatic movement)

Near Miss: Armor 8/8 Hardened (+1/4) DEX Based (-1/2) Nonpersistant (-1/4) (acrobatic movement, but is reduced if mobility or DEX is reduced)

Climb Anything: Clinging

Where Did She Put That?: +10 with Concealment (stolen artifact, skin-tight outfit, no bulge)

Staff: HA +4d6 0 END (+1/2) OAF (-1)

Staff Sweep: HA +4d6 AE: 2" Radius (+1) 0 END OAF (-1)

Pole-Vault: Leaping +10" 0 END (+1/2) OAF (-1)

Always Lands On Her Feet: +10 with Breakfall and Possition Shift for Leaping

Prowling: Invisibility to Sight & Hearing Group 0 END (+1/2) Must Have Camoflauge/Cover (-1/2) (Or Images Only For Penalties To Perceive Character (-1))

Cat-like Balance: Flight (equal to Running) Only On A Surface (-1/2)

Cat-Like Reflexes: +5 with all DEX Skills

Love the Kitty: +5 with Seduction

As much as I try to avoid overusing Transform, I think here it is appropriate. With transform "Locked lock into unlocked lock," you have the added advantage of being able to build a lock with Power Defense to make it harder to transform. :sneaky:

(I love these new smiley options! :party: ) <-- except for the ones that don't work! :thumbdown