Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Yes!

Finally!

A light at the end of a very dark tunnel!

I have found a job... and it's in my chosen profession!

AND it pays better than any job I held before!

And there was much rejoicing!

It's about freakin' time...

Mags

HOORAH! Best of luck!

What is your profession, if I may ask? (recognizing Klytus also asked)

I just found out my cat's been embezzling from me!

:D

True story - we had a cat when I was young who would take change off of any table or surface and the change would disappear. She once went after a dollar. We figured she had an impressive stash somewhere, never found the coins. (Actually, I suspect she dropped them down the vents to hear the pretty noise).

Congrats, Magma.

Kee thought she's lost her job earlier today. They had a big meeting on "exciting new benefits!" Turned out the "new benefits" were a LOSS of benefits for Kee and a chunk of the company. She got angry and spoke out. A little bit after the meeting she got called into her boss's office. She was sure she was going to be canned. Fortuantely, her boss agreed that the situation was unfair and wanted to try to come to a deal with her to make up her loss of benefits.

Doc

I hate when they announce a loss of a benefit as a positive, it's stupid.

We've been very fortunate and overall I can't complain. However, they reduced our employee discount in our stores and acted all happy because now it made the whole globe "standard" (which was a double insult as we know people in one of our European offices still got a better deal). Double however, they finally caved and after a few months configured a work-around by creating a "special" employee-only store.

I hate when they announce a loss of a benefit as a positive' date=' it's stupid.[/quote']

Yep. When I worked at Radio Shack, they rolled back our commission rate by 2% starting on Black Friday all the way through Christmas Eve, and they painted it as a good thing because sales valumes were so high, we still ended up making more on commission. Yeah, but we'd make even more if they weren't such scum about it...

Yes!

Finally!

Mags

Congrats on the good news!

We've slowly been losing benefits over the six years I've been at this job. It's subtle, but vacation time and holidays have been going down. Of course I have no proof that we ever had the benefits in the first place. And some of the lost benefits were the totally unrealistic type that could only have existed in the time of dot-com startups with six employees, like the six-month sabbatical after five years.

Yes!

Finally!

Mags

CONGRATS MAG!!

I hate when they announce a loss of a benefit as a positive' date=' it's stupid.[/quote']

My favorites is when they want to make sure everyone is being paid fairly, or so they say. The two times I saw that at NAI, they trashed everyones salary.

Both times by downgrading everyones reviews (there were a bunch of managers upset about the first one after they gave good reviews and then having some HR drone rip everything to shreds.)

Ah fun times.

Congratulations.

:)

What is your field again?

Yes!

Finally!

Mags

Our benefit package has gotten leaner and leaner...

at first it was just higher co-pays.

Last year they went to a two tier policy, we had to contribute out of pocket for the higher one.

This year they raised it again to the point I had to take my wife off MY insurance and put her on the plan she can get at work. It is not as good imo, but for $60 versus $240 per month...

I hate when they announce a loss of a benefit as a positive, it's stupid.

We've been very fortunate and overall I can't complain. However, they reduced our employee discount in our stores and acted all happy because now it made the whole globe "standard" (which was a double insult as we know people in one of our European offices still got a better deal). Double however, they finally caved and after a few months configured a work-around by creating a "special" employee-only store.

What is your chosen field' date=' BTW?[/quote']

What is your profession' date=' if I may ask? (recognizing Klytus also asked)[/quote']

I am, until I finish earning my BA in Business, a humble Accounts Payable Clerk.

Although I am proficient in other areas of accounting, I excel in processing vendor invoices and, well, pretty much the entire A/P cycle. Some people (career counselors) have said to me, focus on one aspect of accounting because a specialized accounting clerk is more employable, while others said it's better to diversify. It's hard to say who's right. I've done full cycle bookkeeping, but in larger companies I have stuck with A/P and some A/R. In this case, I was "headhunted" and it was this small company of dedicated people who kept sending me out to interviews and they never gave up even after I lost many potential positions to the "other candidate". Always the other person got the job. But they never gave up on me and that is a wonderful feeling. :D

As you all might (or might not) know, Oregon has one of the worst unemployment rates in the country. It's been tough finding a really good position, because a lot of degree'd individuals have had to fall back into positions like mine to get by. I've had to walk a fine tight-rope, because if I applied to and accepted a lower paying job, then the higher salaries I worked so hard for in the past would have been for nothing, not to mention I'd sabotage any future prospects. Believe it or not, employers do use your salary history to determine if you are right for them- if you made too much they won't offer you the position, not enough and then they offer you less than they were willing to pay. There were times when I was sorely tempted to try retail sales or restaurant work again, but that would have messed up my employment history and set me back ten years or more. I really had to stick to my guns and only apply for accounting positions within a decent commuting range of my house.

I have at least 25 working years ahead of me before I can retire, so it is well worth it for me to finish my education- so I was looking for a company that would encourage it, yet not feel threatened by it (you know fearing I'd leave once I got my BA). This one has tuition assistance (Yay!). Plus I require a casual workplace. I can't stand wearing dresses and pumps everyday, it's just not me. While I can't wear sneakers in this place, at least it is casual. So I go buy a new pair of shoes, no problem. It's right off the Max, too, so if my car dies on me before I can get a newer one, I can commute by train. Win-win situation.

I start on Monday. (Wow, it felt good to say that!)

Mags

I've no clue what my benefits will be like but, whatever they are, it'll be better than what I've had for the last 2 years- which was nothing.

I've already decided that I am going to put the maximum amount I can into a retirement fund and it should only take me a year to become debt-free again (that includes getting a newer car).

Hey, I figure if I can live for two years on next-to-nothing, I should have no problems budgeting the wealth this time around. ;)

Mags

I am' date=' until I finish earning my BA in Business, a humble Accounts Payable Clerk. [/quote']Hey, same here. I an Accounts Payable clerk (with a surname being Clarke, I'm born for the job ;):D). I'm also studing a Bachelor in Business majoring in Accounting.

kindred soul

I've already decided that I am going to put the maximum amount I can into a retirement fund and it should only take me a year to become debt-free again (that includes getting a newer car).

Hey, I figure if I can live for two years on next-to-nothing, I should have no problems budgeting the wealth this time around.

A reasonable decision. Don't let your windfall go to your head! ;)

Best of luck! :thumbup:

We've been very fortunate and overall I can't complain. However' date=' they reduced our employee discount in our stores and acted all happy because now it made the whole globe "standard" (which was a double insult as we know people in one of our European offices still got a better deal). Double however, they finally caved and after a few months configured a work-around by creating a "special" employee-only store.[/quote']

Why is it that whenever they take something away from you it's because they're "standardizing", or "going with the industry standard". Just because everyone esle is doing it doesn't make it a smart thing to do!! If you're matching the "industry standard" doesn't that make it a mediocre place to work for? Shouldn't we aspire to be ABOVE the "industry standard"?

Doc

Why is it that whenever they take something away from you it's because they're "standardizing", or "going with the industry standard". Just because everyone esle is doing it doesn't make it a smart thing to do!! If you're matching the "industry standard" doesn't that make it a mediocre place to work for? Shouldn't we aspire to be ABOVE the "industry standard"?

Doc

Eh... the only thing "standard" is the bullshit they shovel in an attempt to make the unacceptable seem acceptable. They figure that while the excuse "everybody else does it" is lame, its much better than "We're doing this because we care more about profits than our employees."