Longest Running Thread EVER

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, Cancer said:

Turns out we gained by itemizing this year, which hadn't been true for a couple of years.

I'll mail the form off this afternoon.

You would be the first person I know who actually itemizes.

And I've worked for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.

Lucius Alexander

Unable to deduct a palindromedary

I think it is more common to itemize here in WA due to our archaic tax structure.  We have no state or local income tax, so property taxes are rather high.  That is on top of (in Seattle) ridiculously high real estate prices (which show up as large mortgage loans and hence mortgage interest paid), so if you own your house and don't have a large income (we don't), it is almost always the case that you gain by itemizing.

Now, I admit I was shown how to do it, kind of, and once I had that guidance ... I am not afraid of doing math.  For the years we lived in Pullman, we rented out the Seattle house.  Then we paid an accountant to do the taxes right (it was also right after the kids were born, so there were lots of things we were able to claim that we new parents had no clue about but the accountant knew and applied) since rental stuff gets complex quick.  But on moving back (and again living in  the house we'd rented out), I had old tax forms in hand showing me what to do.  So it was no longer necessary to get professional help ;) and since then, every year I work it out both ways, and send in whichever works in our favor. 

8 hours ago, L. Marcus said:

Only in high company. Had my mechanical aortic valve installed on Monday. On my way soon to my home hospital for more physical therapy. Woozier than a woozle. Perfect state of mind to read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Congrats on becoming a cyborg!

• 3 weeks later...