Longest Running Thread EVER

23 hours ago, Bazza said:

They should be accumulative & measurable like reputation points. 

I think I only have one of his stereotype General Zod replies so far, so that's pretty minor.  It's not like I'd slagged off on Gillian Anderson or something.

Minor question ...

On a different forum, I saw a user profile image I admired, but my chemistry is too weak to know its name.  It was a molecule representation.

Benzene ring.  Hanging off the angle at the top of the ring was an OH.  Hanging off the angle at about 4 o'clock on the ring was either an NO or an NO-minus.

Is that a real substance, and if so what is it called?

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Minor question ...

On a different forum, I saw a user profile image I admired, but my chemistry is too weak to know its name.  It was a molecule representation.

Benzene ring.  Hanging off the angle at the top of the ring was an OH.  Hanging off the angle at about 4 o'clock on the ring was either an NO or an NO-minus.

Is that a real substance, and if so what is it called?

This, you mean?

220px-M-Nitrophenol.svg.png

This is called 3-nitrophenol or m-nitrophenol, depending on which system you're using (IUPAC or common nomenclature).

If there's only one oxygen rather than two, it's an ion of some kind. If it even exists, which I can't remember enough O-chem to comment at the moment.