How do your characters see each other?

Marchwarden

This was a trick WW used to use in their sourcebooks, and it worked rather well. Says something about the speaker as well as the subject.

Champions 2018

Defender on:

HIMSELF: "It's an awesome responsibility to succeed Governor Harmon. I'm not going to let him down, but I can only hope that my best effort is good enough."

RADAR RIDER: "It's really almost impossible not to like him. He has a reputation for frivolity and recklessness, but I've trained with him, fought beside him and gotten to know his character. There's no one on this team more dedicated. He may be noisy, but he's not wild; it's just his way.

ETERNIA: "It chills my heart to think of what her life was like before we found her. I realize that I shouldn't worry too much about her - she's the strongest, toughest member of the team by far, and not stupid either - but she's still quite unfamiliar with the outside world. She's a fast learner, though; I'm sure that with a little help she'll adjust to a more normal life. Wendy's been wonderful, taking her on outings and having heart to heart talks with her, just sort of teaching her how normal people act."

MARCHWARDEN: "Even after all this time, his skill and acuity are simply mind-boggling to watch. Once you allow for cultural differences, he's also very courteous. I realize that, to him, this must seem a noisy, grimy place full of slow dull people, but he keeps it to himself. I also realize that he's abiding strictly by our ethics of battle. Impressive as his archery is, I know he's holding back. Fortunately, I've learned to trust his control."

HEARTSEEKER: "She's right to be concerned about the planet; we've rebuilt our cities and our factories, but if we don't rebuild our forests and our oceans, it will all have been in vain. It's also good to see her so obviously passionate her cause; her other calling has taught her many forms of disguise and misdirection, but she was a conservationist long before she was a ninja."

Next up: Radar Rider

ON HIMSELF: "The Last Defender of Rock and Roll. I've got it in my genes and soul. A paladin of powerchords, a six-string samurai. But really, just another heartsick guy."

DEFENDER: "He's the heart of the team, really. Don't be fooled by his serious attitude; the guy's got a sense of humor, maybe even a romantic streak. He just needs to learn not to try to hard. You gotta stay loose, find a rhythm."

ETERNIA: "Man, has she seen some dues. Naturally, I'd never make a move with someone who's got copious trauma issues to work on, but she has inspired some lyrics of longing. Teleios so needs to die."

MARCHWARDEN: "Aaarrgghh! Legions of screaming fangirls! After him all the time! I'd get trampled if I didn't stay up in the air! Pointy-eared ponce, why *him*? No offense, really; he's a great teammate and an awesome backup vocalist. It just mystifies me sometimes, that's all."

HEARTSEEKER: "What a girl. Dedicated, beautiful...I mean, with all due respect to a fellow teammate, of course. I admit that it spooks me a little when she sneaks up on me; I've had 360 degree radar sense since I was twelve, so I'm not used to it."

And now: Eternia

ON HERSELF: "The subject continues to adjust to her new environment. Rudimentary social skills appear to be developing, as do emotional attachment to friends and teammates. The experiment continues, but without Te'Te'Tele'...supervision. I like it here."

DEFENDER: "He's fully aware of my regenerative proprties, but seems concerned when I suffer injuries. He just doesn't seem to understand that a little pain is a price I'm happy to pay for justice. I already gave more than my share for science. He's been injured in battle many times, and he's not nigh-indestructible like me. He has a sense of compassion, a sensitivity to the suffering of others, that I find remarkable in a man who'se chosen a life of struggle. I feel that, if I can understand it, I'll have made a real breakthrough towards comprehending my own humanity."

RADAR RIDER: He's sweet. He makes me laugh. He has a sense of "cool" that allows him to treat me as a teammate and a friend, and not be overprotective of me. Many men have trouble doing so. I like his music, too."

MARCHWARDEN: "There is something in him that the 'Perfect Man' never displayed. Every motion and word shows a grace born of older times and lovelier places. The songs he sometimes sings in New Zealandish are wonderful and wistful and glorious all at once. Just seeing kim walk, across the snow under the stars, fills me with wonder and hope. And of course, that was his arrow that marred the Perfect Man's perfect flesh and left him on his perfect knees in a puddle of perfect blood. I'm ashamed that I enjoy remembering that moment, but I can't deny that I do."

HEARTSEEKER: "A scientist and a shadow warrior. She brings to her causes every resource at her disposal. Ridiculous as it is, I can't help thinking of her as the tougher of us two. It must be the power and balance of her mind and spirit, and the confidence she has in herself. Still, sometimes I think that she regards my stay here as suspect, like the keeping of a wounded creature that ought to be released into the wild. I hope that in time I can prove to her that the world holds no terror for me, and that I stay here because I have chosen this place as my home and these people as my family.

OK, my turn at the keyboard:

MARCHWARDEN (Champions 2018)

ON HIMSELF: "I am here to answer the threat of Krim, and to uphold a pledge older than the histories of Men."

DEFENDER: "He is a credit to his race. I am proud and honoured to accept him as my captain."

RADAR RIDER: "He is both warrior and minstrel. Some of his fellow folk seem to think that this makes him a weaker fighter. We know better, who have mastered both song and sword since this world was young. I only wish that his tastes ran less to the loud and distorted, but every bird must sing in its own voice."

ETERNIA: "My friends wish to help her learn to be a 'normal human'. My heart misgives me on this count; if Teleios' boast was correct, she possesses a power to endure greater even than my own. She is something new, and unique, of human origin certainly, but not wholly human. She will need to find her own road, down through the ages of the world."

HEARTSEEKER: "She is barely a child, but she has cultivated a closeness to the world more akin to what my own kindred have come to know over years unnumbered. Her skill and courage are remarkable. I also admire her quietness; her company is easier to bear than any other Human I have met."

HEARTSEEKER

ON HERSELF: "We all need to pitch in together sometimes. I'm only doing my bit."

DEFENDER: "He really understands. He doesn't fight just for his family or his hometown or his country; he acts wherever there is need. That sentiment was what made me decide to sign on with this mob."

RADAR RIDER: "A great teammate and just a great mate, really. Very talented musician and worth any three in a fight. I don't tease him about it, but I do find his studied aloof poses to be a little amusing. The ninja are rarely fooled by outward appearances, that's our game after all."

ETERNIA: "She needs our help, but one day she'll need her freedom more. I suspect that James, with the best of intentions of course, may be slow to act on that."

MARCHWARDEN: "Brilliant outdoorsman, obviously, but...New Zealand isn't that far from Oz. I've been there several times. Even dated a rugby player from Wellington once. New Zealanders have round ears and sink in snow like everybody else. Admit that you skimped on your research and get out of trying to claim that's where you're from."

Re: How do your characters see each other?

Originally posted by Marchwarden

This was a trick WW used to use in their sourcebooks, and it worked rather well. Says something about the speaker as well as the subject.

Assault responds (in character):

"How do I see my teammates? With my eyes, of course. Are you stupid or something?

Now get that microphone out of my face before I stick it where I stuck Foxbat's Ping-Pong Ball Gun..."

I don't know if that says much about the subject, but it says a lot about the speaker. :)

Alan

This is used a lot in tournament play at things like GenCon.

And it applies not only to Champions but to all versions of Dungeons and Dragons and Cthulhu. It adds zest to the role playing.

With our lot it all depended on who was in charge. We did a table to see who was most liked out of the team a while back. And people had to respond in character. That was interesting. And rigged in a few cases.

Mayday:

American Valor - I never knew how many muscles a man could have and they all look gorgeous. I don't think he knows how good looking he really is. Thoughtful, brave, stoic in the face of imminent death. Maybe not the most brilliant mind but he is good with people and as much trouble as followed us, we needed a full time PR person... AV, what can you say about this man. When he dies, the leaders of great nations will stand at his grave. Great poets and songwriters will immortalize him far better than I ever could. He truly IS a hero, by being himself. We are all better for having known him.

Night Warden - What I wouldn't give to train under this man. The best strategic mind we had. Very intense but not AV intense. This was stare into your soul intense (but not stare into your soul like Eclipse staring into your soul). I knew all about him from old tapes but he supposedly died before I met the team. Turns out he didn't so the only time I actually met him was through our computer duel, but the quickness of his mind, the challenge you provided, it was a deep honor and privelage to have beaten you Night Warden.

Prime Directive - You're sure hes not in the room? Ok. I think he's crazy. No really. I know he regenerates from anything but he still feels pain. He really scares me, this guy will do absolutely anything because it won't matter. Then there's the time he got replaced by a ninja robot and noone could tell the difference. I mean, he doesn't SAY much. He just looks at you. Its creepy. Now I know why you went to the nightclub with us though. The most human I ever knew you and you were a robot out to betray us. I trusted you. Not fully of course, but you and the Flamerider robot set me up good. Kudos to you. I respect that. I just can't respect the real you. You're going to get someone killed, even if it isn't you. I can't accept that.

Giga-Watt - How could you not like Giga-Watt. Nice guy. Could be the only team member besides AV that didn't radiate 'Assassin' on first meeting (and every meeting after that). We hung out in the games room quite a bit. He made me feel like I wasn't alone in the US.

Flame Rider - I don't understand the American James Dean fascination, or rebel biker fetish. Neither of us ever said much to the other. I guess he was closest to my age but he just wasn't someone I'd hang out with. Life has rules, I accept them and I don't think he was quite ready to... but he is dead and I'm sorry about that. He wasn't a bad person. Just not someone I had anything in common with.

Eclipse - Erm, there isn't much TO say about the avatar of the egyptian moon god. I respect other religious beliefs and the other gods that exist... what do I say. I wish you well? I don't know what to say to a God. I have strong religious convictions and feel I can talk to my God, but this is different. A different god. It feels wrong. I'm sorry.

• 1 month later...
Do you recall Stealthraven, Bedlam, Flipside, or Psi-Shock?

I do but never played with them, they were the Twilight Vanguard group but they were very cool as was Deathwatch.

I remember the adventure where you all got poisoned, and we learned that Deathwatch took X2 from poison.

I take that back. StealthRaven is the one who tagged me when we played Youre It in the danger room, and Bedlam was there when Vanguard stormed Dye Dee Wash to get Psiona. When it was about to blow and everyone was erecting their defenses he rolled for his trackball and made it.

Bedlams player was fun, no matter what he played. Those games are still my standard to beat in the superhero genre... Remember when the 100pt TK villain was veing rescued, and how paranoid you had the players? Priceless.

Rook's views on his teammates:Chitin, Gravitic, & John Wrath.

Chitin: Nice guy for a 7' tall bug(beetle). He's got determination, guts, and heart to match. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have a lot of experience under his belt for street fighting. Don't get me wrong I've seen him take on three super criminals at one time when he probably shoulda just let them go to fight another day but there's a thin line between bravery and stupidity in my book. Still he broke outta P.R.I.M.U.S. HQ and was never held accountable for his actions so he must have some friends in very high places. Something just doesn't add up with that guy, that's what bugs me, no pun intended.

Gravitic: This guy read too many comics growing up and watched way to many movies. I mean he acts like he's one of those heroes in a movie based off one of those frickin comics! Who announces their name and their intentions to the criminals as their doing it?! I could not believe this guy was/is for real. "I get my powers from my SUPER-HUMANITY!" What in the world is that all about? It turns out though after spending some time around him that he isn't that bad after all. He bought me my first costume when I mentioned to the group I couldn't afford one on my own. So what if it's so silly I can't wear it in public. It's a fricking checkered board black and white spandex suit with a chess piece on the front! If the guys back home caught me in that I'd never hear the end of it let alone these criminals we've been running into and the other heroes running around town would never stop laughing. Don't get me started on the press, those vultures. Still it's the thought that counts, and I have yet to meet a "super-hero" as willing and eager to do the right thing as this guy. That counts for alot in my book.

Agent John Wrath...of P.R.I.M.U.S.: You know my old man had a lot of respect for this guy back in his day. He used to tell me you have to admire a man who won't sell out his orginization no matter what, even if that man is standing in your way or interferring with your buisiness. I'm sorry pop but I just don't see it...I don't see what you saw in him. Maybe he lost it, maybe he got to old for the buisiness and shoulda retired a few years ago. Maybe he finally broke under it all, you put enough responisibility on a man and it will break him quicker and surer then anything else. I think he's past his prime and needs to move to Florida. From what I've seen he's afraid to take risks and unwilling to own up for his mistakes when other people get hurt because of them. I've also seen him nearly get himself killed needlessly twice now and he would have been killed if I hadn't saved him. Maybe I shoulda let him die, maybe that's what he wanted. He seems like he's got a beef with the whole world and thinks he's untouchable. Everybody's touchable. If he's one of the best P.R.I.M.U.S. has to offer then it's no wonder the feds are trying to cut their budget and any mook with a special trick thinks he can just do whatever it is he wants. Being on this side of the law is new to me but I think I see where these criminal bozos are coming from.

I guess it really is like Father Mulcahey said..."God works in mysterious ways". God definately has a weird sense of humor thats fer sure.

I got permission from my players to do this so... The campaign is a "villain" campaign (the PC's are villains) and set in a world similar to the Champions Universe (which is why I call it the Neo-Champion Universe)

Disruptor 50+ year old gadgeteer, and one of the most hated novas of the campaign world

Oamen: Really needs to grow up and get over what Primus did to his family. Oh sure, the rage gives him focus and focus gives him power -- but he's not thinking far enough ahead. He's trying to destroy an organization run by one of the three, maybe four most powerful novas ever -- at best he's going to be able to spite it. And even if he does somehow manage to take it down, what then? Still, that focus makes him an effective leader and he isn't given to second-guessing himself.

Sting: Too quiet. I don't buy the whole "I'm only trying to fulfill my role as the protector of the Locus" nonsense. His 'paranoia' is clearly an affectation -- he's either hiding an agenda, or really is experiencing guilt on a massive scale, and frankly my money is on the agenda. He's very effective in combat, I'll grant, but our recent run-in with the Justice Battalion confirmed that he has trouble against single, hard targets.

Hexadecimal: Janie's versatility is nothing short of staggering -- and I suspect she's only scratched the surface of what is really possible with her powers. Unfortunately, she hasn't adapted well to her new life as a villain -- her feelings of betrayal at the hands of Primus haven't hardened her enough. I have very real concerns about what will happen if she's forced into a situation where we have to do something truly black-hatted to survive. I'm also concerned about her memory lose after the Twin Narrows incident -- if as I suspect she has a vulnerability that forces her to make an unwilling transformation, it could really bite us in the butt. However she has been unwilling to let me test her for this -- she obviously doesn't trust me yet, and given that I wouldn't trust me either I don't blame her...

Oamen Darkness-themed energy projector with a magical twist

Sting: The whole "You are the Locus Master" thing still creeps me out a little bit, but I suppose it's better than him challenging me every time I say something. I'd wish he'd stop it with the "Why didn't you..." thing with regard to powers I either lost to Starburst or simply haven't figured out how to do yet.

Disruptor: This guy is a Bastard with a captial Rat. I'm a little surprised, given his reputation, that he hasn't challenged me for the leadership position yet. There's no questioning his competence, although he's not as flexible power-wise as I'd been led to believe and I'm a little worried about how vulnerable he is without his equipment. He's also keeping a LOT about his past to himself and I know I should be more worried about that than I am -- but so far he's let enough slip and I'm beginning to wonder if he *wants* me to find it... Finally, it's annoying the way everyone sees us as a group and then screams, "Oh no! It's the Disruptor!"

Janie: A welcome addition to the group, I think it says something that she sought us out instead of us having to hunt her down (like we did with The Disruptor). She shares my grudge against Primus, in her case because she feels they betrayed her when she needed them the most -- which makes her the only teammate whose motives I understand and trust. It is a little annoying the way her personality changes when she changes forms though; sometimes I think I need a scorecard to keep them straight.

Sting Insect-themed martial-artist brick

Oamen: He is the Locus Master. I have failed in my duty to help bring him to his destiny by failing to stop Starburst, the usurper. My only hope of redemption is to correct that failing. However, he is more concerned with his vengence than his destiny -- so I will bid my time.

Disruptor: I do not trust this one. He has no purpose other than survival -- he would clearly kill the Locus Master to survive, and feel no remorse. Strangely, he has no destiny either, and this disturbs me. Has he truly cheated death? Such a one can destroy prophecies, and I cannot allow that to happen. Still, he is knowledgable in the ways of the world -- something I lack.

Hexadecimal: Her wounds are deep, and remain uncleansed. She is still coming to terms with the fact that the world she lives in is not the world as she knew it, and I fear what this ignorance will mean. Her world changed, but part of her is trying to cling to that past. She will not endanger the Locus Master's progress so...

Hexadecimal 16 multiforms; base form can create 15 duplicates. Token female, token former heroine

The Disruptor: Some people are hated; some people cultivate the hatred of others. Chuck clearly fits into the second category; he's too intelligent not to realize the effect his mannerisms have on people and too strong-willed not to change them if he wanted too. He is also every bit the hardened criminal his Primus record indicated; I swear sometimes I expect him to kill puppies just to show people he's not a nice person. Still, he's professional in a rat bastard kind of way I guess... I have no delusions, though, that he'd kill the lot of us if it meant staying out of prison or dying.

Oamen: He hates Primus more than I do, which is saying something. He's also much more open than the rest of the team -- and not as ugly either (Chuck put it best -- "Ever hear of someone that fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch? I'm the tree."). He reminds me a bit of Defender, actually -- competent leadership and no idea of why. Still, he's a walking abyss.

Sting: He flies, he hits people, and they usually fall down. He thinks everyone in the world is out to kill him and his "master" -- so frankly I suspect he actually wants to do that himself. Nobody is that paranoid without having an agenda of their own, kids. Still, if it came down to leaving Sting or Chuck behind, well, sucks to be you Chuck.

• 3 weeks later...

A requiem of worlds...

Ah yes...

It wasn't easy leading such a powerful team of individuals. Avatars of ancient gods and extradimensional sorcerors don't take orders well! (chuckle)

Mayday- What can I say? She's the first through the door and the last one to leave. She has the greatest potential for leadership that I have ever witnessed from a fellow teammate, and her wide-eyed innocence and enthusiasm, her open and inquisitive mind made the awesome and raw power of her psionic abilities several times more effective than they might have been in a less imaginative individual.

There are companions in this struggle that make you feel secure in what you're fighting for, that give you some faith that your common goals may some day be achieved.

And then there are those boon companions, like our young Mayday, that remind you of what you're fighting for.

Millennium

ON HIMSELF: "I am the Hero With a Thousand Faces, I am Gilgamesh and Theseus, Arthur and Lancelot, the Lone Range and Luke Skywalker. I have a duty to protect the innocent, to fight for those who cannot fight for themselves. Above that, I have a duty to set an example that others would do well to emulate, to inspire others to find the Hero within themselves. But I must always be wary, less I stumble. As high as I have risen is half the distance I can fall if, like Oedipus, I allow my flaws a foothold."

CHEETA: "Has a short attention span, but I guess that's what comes of living in a world that, by your standards, is moving in slow motion. Admire his courage. I'm bullet proof, he'll charge suspects with guns catching the bullets out of mid air. Catching them, not just dodging them, so they don't hit anyone else. Good man."

DOLPHIN: "It is said that the eyes are the window of the soul. His are aqua, as deep as the Pacific. He is the calmest person I have ever met, I've never heard him raise his voice, strike out in anger, or even in self defense. Stronger than me, he prefers grabs and holds to punches, fighting only in defense of others or the environment. He believes more in the power of Redemption than any other man I've ever met, convinced that any villain or polluter would instantly repent and change their ways if they only understood the full impact of their actions."

IRON WILL: "His spirit is as strong as his body is weak. The illness ravaging his body defies analysis, even with my healing touch I can only give him the ability to breath on his own and move his arms for a few hours. With his respirator and hover-chair, he is the most vulnerable hero I've ever met. Yet his courage is matched only by the range of his powers."

SNOW LEOPARD: "I am appalled by her casual attitude toward life and death. She has no regard for the safety of bystanders, her teammates, or even herself. She's very close to nature, both the planetary weather system and her own animal nature, This 'circle of life' attitude makes her not courageous, but fearless. In many ways she's more an animal than a human being, even though she is one of the more beautiful women I've ever met."

Cheeta

ON HIMSELF: "Yes, I did this to myself. I cheated. I was an athlete, and while I was better than anyone not juicing, I could not compete with those who were juicing. So they cheated first, I was just leveling the playing field. And as this stuff was too new to be banned, I wasn't violating the letter of the rules, only the spirit. So I took the stuff, and the side effects turned me into a freak. Life, as I knew it, was over, now I have to see what I can make of my new life."

DOLPHIN: "In future centuries, Buddhist will build statues of him. He radiates serenity."

IRON WILL: "With that respirator, he reminds me of Darth Vader. Nice enough guy, but hard to find common ground between a jock and a guy who's never walked."

MILLENNIUM: "Worst poker player ever! Doesn't know how to bluff, how to lie, or how to betray a friend. He'll watch your back through Hell itself."

SNOW LEOPARD: "I enjoy sparing with her. She's not as strong as Dolphin or Millennium, but more aggressive than the two together, and almost as agile as I am. I could go for her, but she's pining over Dolphin, and Will's pining over her, and I'm staying out of that triangle.