The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I'm tired and depressed. Maybe because I had Frosted Flakes and white toast for breakfast. I just didn't want eggs. Fortunately I'm seeing my Shrink soon. Also I sent away for some St. John's Wort. I can't find a presc. antidepressant without unendurable side effects. OddHat is out to replace the battery in his car. I wish he were here.

I'm tired and depressed. Maybe because I had Frosted Flakes and white toast for breakfast. I just didn't want eggs. Fortunately I'm seeing my Shrink soon. Also I sent away for some St. John's Wort. I can't find a presc. antidepressant without unendurable side effects. OddHat is out to replace the battery in his car. I wish he were here.

Therapy works for me.

A little slow on the draw on this one, but last weekend I had the misfortune of having been in the presence of two children who can only be described as demons. The entire time I could observe them, they were punching, kicking, or wrestling one another and their mother did just shy of nothing.

And I am, through marriage, related to these (in the words of my father-in-law) "ornery little s**ts". I eventually just excused myself before I said what everybody else had to be thinking, which was 'What the F**K is wrong with you two?'

Not to defend them, but it can be strangely difficult to keep two kids from horsing around. In public, the parent is presented with the choice of letting the misbehaving children embarrass her, or embarrassing herself by yelling at or otherwise disciplining the children in public.

Fortunately, I have no shame.

Not to defend them, but it can be strangely difficult to keep two kids from horsing around. In public, the parent is presented with the choice of letting the misbehaving children embarrass her, or embarrassing herself by yelling at or otherwise disciplining the children in public.

I fail to see how that last is "shameful".

Not in public, in a private residence, with just family (even if only related by marriage) present. Possibly worse, in retrospect. :)

The thing is, this is their regular behavior. They are, from all reports, always like this. Their father apparently doesn't believe in applying any form of discipline beyond a mild talking-to regardless of the misbehavior, and the mother defers to him on this. She actually made a very light, glancing swat at one's backside after she told him six or seven times to stop doing something, and it about shocked everybody present.

Sooner or later, one of these kids is gonna hurt somebody, or themselves.

The thing is, this is their regular behavior. They are, from all reports, always like this. Their father apparently doesn't believe in applying any form of discipline beyond a mild talking-to regardless of the misbehavior, and the mother defers to him on this. She actually made a very light, glancing swat at one's backside after she told him six or seven times to stop doing something, and it about shocked everybody present.

Oddly I'm in the opposite situation; Mom goes nuclear if the boys put their shirts on backwards, or leave toys in the living room, or cry. The older one, who is also high-strung, is a bundle of nerves. The younger one seems to have figured out that all punishments are severe so he does whatever he wants.

Sooner or later, one of these kids is gonna hurt somebody, or themselves.

Kids get hurt. After the second kid, the pediatrician flat out told me to familiarize myself with local emergency rooms so that I'd know where to take the kids, park the car, and so on. The trick is to minimize the property damage and injury to others, I guess.

Kids get hurt.

True, but it should be stuff like 'I fell off my skateboard' or 'I tripped on the steps', not 'My big brother kicked me in the head'. Maybe I'm either old-fashioned or a violence-prude of some sort, but I really just do not think kids should be beating on each other. A little roughhouse-wrestling maybe, but when one kid starts shouting 'Stop it that hurts!' the other one should EFFING STOP.

I had very painful wart removing procedures today on my leg in three places and on my forehead. It made me a sad-self pitying mess for the rest of the day and night. Poor OddHat. He gave comfort and all I could give back was misery. Also my sore ankle, which put a huge damper on Gen Con for me and I've had for almost a month, is worse. The Doctor is supposed to call tomorrow am. He may put me on crutches. We can't go anywhere for Labor Day because I can't walk. Every step hurts.

OddHat went to bed early and I feel so alone. It's too late to call anyone and I don't want to call someone just to whine anyway.

At least for tomorrow, there's no place to go but up.

Update:

Well, I won't need the crutches. The X-ray came back normal. The Doctor is sending me to rehab where I will go to a place I went to in the past. The people there are very nice and it's a good place. Thank You for all your well wishes. I also had CBT today where I talked back to my depression. The Therapist emphasized again that everything depression tells you is a lie.

Update:

Well, I won't need the crutches. The X-ray came back normal. The Doctor is sending me to rehab where I will go to a place I went to in the past. The people there are very nice and it's a good place. Thank You for all your well wishes. I also had CBT today where I talked back to my depression. The Therapist emphasized again that everything depression tells you is a lie.

I'm glad your ankle is okay. Sounds like things are starting to look up. Hang in there.

I am taking IBUPROFEN (sp ?) as I have developed a pain in the shoulder and neck that has lasted for several days. I don't carry my bag on that arm and don't recall pulling a muscle or anything.

Now I may be getting a headache and I get take asperin with these pills.

Find a good chiropractor, is my advice.