The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Thanks to the Imperial @$$load of rain we've been getting int the DC area, (and due to the fact that the place I rent a room in is 60+ years old) my house has been leaking like crazy. And one of those leaks was in my closet, and I only just discovered it today when I pulled a box off a shelf and got drenched! It must have been slowly dripping for a while, because a ton of my clothes had been getting dripped on, too. Oh, yeah - once I cleared everything away, I was treated to the sight and scent of mold! So, not only am I washing all of those clothes, I went in and sprayed with bleach. At least now I can see where the water was dripping in, and have put a container underneath for it. My landlord is en route with more tarps for the balcony... I used my camping tarp to help slow down the dripping through my ceiling - dunno how much of a difference its making, but I'm not gonna pull it down to see if things get worse!

Dude' date=' that's... kind of major, isn't it? Anyway I'm glad you had it prior to the catastrophic heart attack.[/quote']

Was it over the dialysis access?

Since these questions are related, I'll answer together. :) It was actually related to my dialysis access ('fistula'), yes, but not actually on it. I had a couple of kinks in the big vein that runs up my arm, in the shoulder area. Kind of like a kink in a garden hose, so they did the angioplasy to un-kink them and straighten them back out. It was affecting the pressure readings on the dialysis machine; they were back to normal today, so ... so far, so good.

I'm congested right now, which means I can't sleep. That would make it two consecutive sleepless hts in a row. And I have to get up early for work.

Why must I go through this crap every effing night?

Possibly stupid questions:

1) Do you always take a shower before bed?

2) Is your room allergen-proofed, for whatever type of allergies you have?

3) Do you have an air purifier that can clean your room? Has it been cleaned recently?

4) Are you taking allergy shots?

3) Do you have an air purifier that can clean your room? Has it been cleaned recently?

Also try using one of those saline spray rinses to clean out your nose and sinuses before bed. My dad's doctor suggested that, it works pretty well.

1) Not always, but I did last night.

2) Unfortunately, no. My cats are there regularly, but I'm not allergic to cat hair.

3) I do have an air purifier. I haven't used it lately.

4) No, my allergies are generally mild. I take antihistamines.

Also try using one of those saline spray rinses to clean out your nose and sinuses before bed. My dad's doctor suggested that' date=' it works pretty well.[/quote']

I tried that, along with some allergy medicine. They usually work, but they didn't do much to relieve the congestion last night. It eventually went away, but only after an hour or so.

Edited for clarification: My rant about suffering every night wasn't about allergies; it was about sleeplessness. I've only slept about 5 hours maximum in the last 2 days. However, my allergies have been acting up lately, and they helped keep me awake last night.

1) Not always, but I did last night.

2) Unfortunately, no. My cats are there regularly, but I'm not allergic to cat hair.

3) I do have an air purifier. I haven't used it lately.

4) No, my allergies are generally mild. I take antihistamines.

I tried that, along with some allergy medicine. They usually work, but they didn't do much to relieve the congestion last night. It eventually went away, but only after an hour or so.

Edited for clarification: My rant about suffering every night wasn't about allergies; it was about sleeplessness. I've only slept about 5 hours maximum in the last 2 days. However, my allergies have been acting up lately, and they helped keep me awake last night.

According to my pharmacist, most over the counter sleep aids have the same active ingredient as Benadryl. Hmmm. I take two a night for that.

One time when I was MASSIVELY congested, but was out of benadryl or decongestants, I applied some Vicks Vapo-rub to my nostrils. after two applications in about 30 minutes, my sinuses drained, providing blessed relief!

I use Vicks regularly. For some reason it didn't work last night. I only took one Benadryl because I had to get up early for work. It was already 1:00 am when I took it. It made me drowsy, but it didn't help me breathe. I basically had to prop up my pillows and recline in an almost sitting position. I almost drifted to sleep a couple of times, only to get short of breath and wake up. I hope I don't repeat that experience tonight.

As for another cranky, I just heard one of my uncles is recovering from a heart attack. This happened about a week or so ago, and my family heard about it just now.

I just checked my voicemail ... earlier tonight, my mom left me a message to tell me that my great-niece had died. Results of autopsy not yet reported, cause of death unknown. She was two months old.

I never even met her. Heck, I dunno if I ever would have, as poorly as I get along with that segment of the family and as much as I dislike kids in general, but ... two months old. That's just ... tragic doesn't even start to describe it. It's just now sinking in, and I'm starting to get really shaken up over it.

Just called my mom, got a little more information. The baby had been kind of sick, so her parents had been taking turns holding her while she slept. My nephew fell asleep while holding her, and the suspicion is that she rolled over, buried her face in his chest, and suffocated in her sleep.

In more cranky ... well, my mother has not approved of my nephew and his girlfriend's lifestyle. They're rather gothy, with the eyeliner and painted nails and tattoos and piercings and the whole nine yards ... plus, they had a child out of wedlock. For the sake of not raising a fuss, I've kept my own opinion quiet even before all this (that being 'it's their life, they can look like they want'), but my mom said something today that made me think she's blaming the death of the baby on their 'inappropriate lifestyle'. This is probably going to get a lot uglier.

I just checked my voicemail ... earlier tonight, my mom left me a message to tell me that my great-niece had died. Results of autopsy not yet reported, cause of death unknown. She was two months old.

I never even met her. Heck, I dunno if I ever would have, as poorly as I get along with that segment of the family and as much as I dislike kids in general, but ... two months old. That's just ... tragic doesn't even start to describe it. It's just now sinking in, and I'm starting to get really shaken up over it.

Two months. ... Damn.

Prayers and condolences. May the Good Lord bless you with sufficient wisdom to cope with your grief and mom's irrational behavior.