The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I work at a Discovery Channel Store.

*LOL* oh, that's funny! What's your store number? I also work for the Discovery Channel, store #039, Scottsdale Fashion Square, Phoenix AZ. The term "Sales Lead* gave you away...I'm also a Sales Lead, bucking for a promotion to Asstistand Manager.... our DSM, Peggy Enger, is visiting this week... it's a small world, huh?

Yeah, I was Asst. Manager-ing out at a Holiday store clear across town over the holidays, just got back to my regular store... we had ugly ceilings, ugly walls, ugly floors.... and the AC sounded exactly like a train rumbling overhead every 10 minutes or so...I'm closing today, but I have tommorrow off... is your floor-set done yet?

Yeah, we're all set up for the National Body Challenge but we're a small store and we don't even have some of the stuff that's supposed to be on display.

One thing that has me a little nervous is that I've heard that Discovery is thinking of moving thier main office from Maryland to Sterling, Virginia. That means if they do then we'll have the mian office of the company just a few minutes away from the mall where our store is loacted, ugh.

And let me just get this out, while I know they're for a good cause and everything, I'm getting sick of the Live Strong bracelets. Nearly all the people who come in to buy them (mostly kids) have no clue what they're for. They just want them because it's the "in thing." A couple of our part timers came up with the idea of making brown rubber bracelets that say "Eat S***" and the thing is people probably would buy them with no clue as to what it says, they'd buy them becuase it's a rubber bracelet and it's the current "cool thing" to have.

Yeah... when you have the lady wander in looking for the "Love Straight?" bracelet that everyone has right now....*sigh* C'mon, people, at least read the sign, huh?

Yeah, we're doing the Body Challenge, as well.. center court... tons of people trying to get weighed in and not have anyone they're with see how much they put on over the holiday... hopefull it'll be good for sales though... so does your stockroom look like a train-wreck... ours isn't too bad, but it'll be better once all the MOS that we couldn't do during inventory gets done finally...

Our backroom looks pretty good, we had our inventory just past Sunday and talk about redundancy. We count everything before they come, they come and count everything and then we count what they just counted. And if something's off they count it agian and we count it again after that. Although cries of "SKU check" have now become a running gag.

I've been around, it's just that my work schedule has been sucking the life out of me lately, that and I just haven't felt inspired to post anything. Just past November I got promoted from simple sales associate to sales leader which is basicly a part time management position. There was supposed to be a raise with it but, for some reason, didn't take effect right away like it was supposed to. I worked through the entire hoilday season with more duties but at the same pay rate. It's been corrected so my next check should show my new pay rate plus back pay.

The week after Christmas was the worst with almost nothing but returns....for weeks I've had a desire to go on a murderous rampage leaving a trail of bloodied corpses in my wake.

Raises seem to be like that unfortunately at times. Hope things look up.

Guest Skaramine

I work at a Discovery Channel Store.

I know it makes you cranky... but that's my favorite store. I should get a job there (they could pay me in cool stuff...)

Working at the Discovery Channel store was fun over the holidays. Got to play with lots of nifty stuff (and picked up some of it too, thanks Becky! Bet that's the last time you run THAT contest again!)... but I learned that it is not physically possible for me to remain on my feet for more than two hours at a time before shooting pains up and down my back and legs made it nearly impossible for me to walk.

But I had a blast, and working with Becky is always fun... right up until one of the other assistant managers does something ASTRONOMICALLY stupid with one of the registers, thus keeping us there THREE HOURS later than we should have been trying to find the mistake.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

The tsunami.

The mudslide.

The apartment fire in DC.

The machete attack no more than 2 blocks away from me.

And the helicopter crash off the Woodrow Wilson bridge (I know the mother of the girl who died in the crash- she's a very good friend of my mother-in-law and was at our wedding).

I swear. Can we have JUST ONE DAY where death, doom and destruction don't get top billing?

I agree. Unfortunately, that's the stuff that the news covers to get ratings. I'm not trying to downplay the disasters, but I think the media is concentrating too much on these. They must be affecting me. I woke up after two hours of sleep because I had a nightmare about my sister dying. Then I turn on the news and hear about mudslides in Mexico, where two sisters were killed. I really didn't need to hear that right now.

I know it makes you cranky... but that's my favorite store. I should get a job there (they could pay me in cool stuff...)[/quote

I actually don't mind the company... it's a great place to work and the benefits are good (once you become a store manager and qualify for them), and yeah, getting to play with all the demo's is way cool (I have MASTERED the Vectron Ultra-Lite)... it's just that the store manager we have right now is a ditz who doesn't understand the concept of "delegation" and has to do everything herself at the last minute... and also doesn't seem to understand the value of the employee she currently has and is in danger of losing about 1/2 of them because she still has her Christmas staff and doesn't have enough hours to give any of them more than 4 hours a week... *sigh* and our DSM is visting tommorrow (and just guess who's opening...grrr...)....

Working at the Discovery Channel store was fun over the holidays. Got to play with lots of nifty stuff (and picked up some of it too, thanks Becky! Bet that's the last time you run THAT contest again!)... but I learned that it is not physically possible for me to remain on my feet for more than two hours at a time before shooting pains up and down my back and legs made it nearly impossible for me to walk.

But I had a blast, and working with Becky is always fun... right up until one of the other assistant managers does something ASTRONOMICALLY stupid with one of the registers, thus keeping us there THREE HOURS later than we should have been trying to find the mistake.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

actually, I probably will run that contest again, but start it now, when just getting 5 PassPorts a day is difficult... by the time we get to Christmas again, everyone who's serious about it will be up to 30 or so, thus making it a little more challenging.. and I'll change the parameters a bit... 10 PP + $10... increase by 5 (so the next step will be 15PP = $15 and so on)

The tsunami.

The mudslide.

The apartment fire in DC.

The machete attack no more than 2 blocks away from me.

And the helicopter crash off the Woodrow Wilson bridge (I know the mother of the girl who died in the crash- she's a very good friend of my mother-in-law and was at our wedding).

I swear. Can we have JUST ONE DAY where death, doom and destruction don't get top billing?

and people wonder why I quit watching the news....