Stargate weapons

tgaptte

Re: Stargate weapons

Hum...so it looks like you are a fan of the staff weapon being a killing attack? I thought it more appropriately represented by an Energy Blast (8-10 dice)...though that's not going to kill a normal outright (as it does when shooting grunts).

Tim

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be wrong, But I believe they will STOP 30-06 AP!!! probably not multiple hits in the same region, I believe the ceramic crushes, disipating some of the energy and abrading/breaking/yawing the bullet so it is more easily stopped by the Soft portion, not iirc kevlar, or not all kevlar.

The doctors in Iraq and Afghanistan have had relatively few upper torso wounds to deal with.

The President of Second Chance Body Armor demonstrated using 7.62 NATO Armor Piercing fired into the level IV body armor he was wearing at point blank range. While standing on one foot. He didn't even stumble. It's amazing stuff.

Just getting back into catching up on the forums so I missed a lot of this conversation. Check in the Other Genre's section (or maybe it is in the Sh section), we were talking about this a few months back. I did write-ups for the Staff and Zat guns. I did the Staff as a 6d6 EB, but we ran out first SG game this weekend, and that seemed a bit low. So our GM upped it to a 4d6RKA with AP. (Maybe a bit harsh in my opinion, but we're still tinkering.)

As for the kevlar, we made the following change: its now a 8PD/6ED vest.

And finally, check here http://www.stargatesg1rpg.com/resources/goauld_equipment.html for the d20 info (it got omitted from the rules).

After another session or two I'll retool my staff weapon writeup and post a followup.

Aroooo

Here's the thread on Zat Guns: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15652&highlight=stargate

I eventually wrote two versions of it for playtesting but don't know which one our GM picked to use, or if he tinkered up something different altogether. He won't tell me till I actually get shot with one :) Once i get shot I'll let you know.

And for those of you who were following the other threads, now that we've started playing, I'll see if our GM will let me write up a Stargate page for starherofandom.com.

Aroooo

Here's the thread on Zat Guns: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15652&highlight=stargate

I eventually wrote two versions of it for playtesting but don't know which one our GM picked to use, or if he tinkered up something different altogether. He won't tell me till I actually get shot with one :) Once i get shot I'll let you know.

Aroooo

I thought that the drain approach didn't work properly for something that kills you. I don't have FRed infront of me, but I seem to remember that you can't kill someone with a Drain.

What seemed to work for me with a Zat is the following:

Zat'nik'tel (AKA Zat Gun or Zat):

(Total: 265 Active Cost, 54 Real Cost)

EB 10d6 , 50 Charges (+0), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), NND (ForceFields and Force Walls; +1), Does BODY (+1) (175 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; Str Min 5; -3/4), Limited Power Body Recovers 1 body/1 minute (-1/2), Cannot Use Targeting (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Not vs Goa'uld Force Screens; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), Reduced By Range (-1/4) (Real Cost: 35) plus

Entangle 4d6, 0 DEF, Limited Power Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (Not vs Goa'uld Force Screens; +0), 50 Charges (+0), Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+1/4), Works Against EGO, Not STR (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), BOECV (Standard Defenses apply; Use OCV to target; +1), Range Modifiers Apply (-1/4) (90 Active Points); No Defense (-1 1/2), OAF (-1), Linked (EB; -1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), STR Minimum (Str min 5; -1/4) (Real Cost: 19)

Notes: When target is killed by the 3rd shot the body is disintegrated.

Basically 10d6 NND does body linked to a 4d6, 0 Def Mental paralysis. I did it this way because it was the easiest way to accomplish what the Zat seemed to be able to do. I did the paralysis to both knock the victim down and to simulate the paralysis that occurs when you recover from one of the Zat's blasts.

I am still editing the weapon in Hero Designer, so it is still somewhat rough.

Tasha :)

The staff weapon was much easier to design.

Staff Weapon:

(Total: 138 Active Cost, 35 Real Cost)

RKA 3d6 , 16 Charges (+0), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (101 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; Staff Blast Str Min 10; -1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) (Real Cost: 25)

HA 5d6 , Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (37 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (Str Min 15 for Staff Strike; -1/2), Limited Power Hand to Hand Attack (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Range Based On STR (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4) (Real Cost: 10)

The HA has to be 5d6, comparing the weapon to a quarterstaff (4d6 HA +1 ocv). It is apparent that the Staff is a heavier quarterstaff. Remember that weapons can only have their damages doubled. Also with a Str Min it means that a 20Str character will do 6d6 with the weapon and up to 10d6 with an offensive strike. I don't see the problem. Esp seeing as my character will be bringing her Barret .50 Sniper Rifle along (3d6RKA +1 Stun mult, +1 OCV, +4 RM)

Also remember the Jaffa were one shotting normals with the weapon in HTH mode.

How about a write up on the SGC's FN P90 Submachine gun. All of the real world data that I have found about this weapon makes it seem much better than a sub 9mm SMG.

"The FN Project 90 was first introduced by FN Herstal in 1988 as a weapon to arm soldiers who's job duties did not require them to carry a full size battle rifle. The gun fires a 5.7x28mm cartridge that is smaller diameter than 9mm, but can also pierce 48 layers of kevlar at approximately 150 meters."

That is a typical quote for the P90 on all of the Gun fan sites. Also they talk about taking out a hostage taker who was wearing a flak jacket with it. It sounds like they were using it as a sniper weapon.

So 1d6+1 AP just doesn't seem to cover this weapon's capabilities. Because against Kevlar Body Armor (8 rPD and 8rED) it would still bounce most of the time. :/ So I am working on piercing points. Basically they cost 15pts for 4 points of piercing. (1d6 RKA Standard effect vs armor only no stun or body done to target). That is the only way to make a lot of different weapons.

I am beginning to see that Heroic level games shouldn't be balanced against the Superhero genre. The weapon lists seems to work well in champions, but fall flat in heroic games (The Muscle powered stuff works well enough).

I did the Staff as a 6d6 EB' date=' but we ran out first SG game this weekend, and that seemed a bit low. So our GM upped it to a 4d6RKA with AP. (Maybe a bit harsh in my opinion, but we're still tinkering.)[/quote']You went from a 6 DC version of the staff weapon to an 18 DC version? That's not what I'd call "tinkering". That's giving it the exact same damage as a 57mm recoilless rifle (FREd, pg. 332), a full blown antitank weapon. Is there any evidence on SG:SG-1 the staff weapons can take out armored vehicles? (Considering the trauma plate on the SGC body armor can prevent a staff weapon from killing the wearer of the armor, I'd say the answer is a resounding No!)

You went from a 6 DC version of the staff weapon to an 18 DC version? That's not what I'd call "tinkering". That's giving it the exact same damage as a 57mm recoilless rifle (FREd' date=' pg. 332), a full blown antitank weapon. Is there any evidence on SG:SG-1 the staff weapons can take out armored vehicles? (Considering the trauma plate on the SGC body armor can prevent a staff weapon from killing the wearer of the armor, I'd say the answer is a resounding [i']No![/i])
BTW guys' date=' I have lots of experience in Heroic level games. Just about as much as in Champions. Looking at the D20 Version I now agree about having it being 3d6 RKA as it does 33% more damage than a .50 cal sniper rifle.[/quote']

I am assuming that Tasha was basing the above statement on the incorrect .50 cal damage in FRED. According to http://www.herogames.com/SupportFAQs/errataHero5.htm

Page 332 — the damage for the .50 caliber machine gun should be 3d6. This gives it an Active Point cost of 157, and a Real Point cost of 63.

Based on this I think that either 4d6 RKA/12d6 EB or 2.5d6 RKA AP/8d6 EB AP would be about right.

I am assuming that Tasha was basing the above statement on the incorrect .50 cal damage in FRED. According to http://www.herogames.com/SupportFAQs/errataHero5.htm

Page 332 — the damage for the .50 caliber machine gun should be 3d6. This gives it an Active Point cost of 157, and a Real Point cost of 63.

Based on this I think that either 4d6 RKA/12d6 EB or 2.5d6 RKA AP/8d6 EB AP would be about right.

I did base the Statement about the Staff weapon's damage based on the incorrect table in Fred. I should have known better. In all editions of the rules the .50BMG shell does 3d6RKA. I thought that it was quite odd that it was changed.

Thanks,

Tasha,

I think you can kill someone with a BODY drain. Take a target down to -2x their BODY, and they die, just like regular damage. but since it takes a lot of drain to do that, I went in the EB direction.

I like your idea of the mental entangle. I'll have to see if I can work something like that into my design. For your limitations though, you have Beam, and I'm not sure I would use that, since we've seen SG-1 affect a living target by shooting the metal wall/object they were hiding behind. Also, you have Charges and Reduced END. You don't need both. Personally, I'd go with 0 END rather than charges.

Aroooo

You went from a 6 DC version of the staff weapon to an 18 DC version? That's not what I'd call "tinkering". That's giving it the exact same damage as a 57mm recoilless rifle (FREd' date=' pg. 332), a full blown antitank weapon. Is there any evidence on SG:SG-1 the staff weapons can take out armored vehicles? (Considering the trauma plate on the SGC body armor can prevent a staff weapon from killing the wearer of the armor, I'd say the answer is a resounding [i']No![/i])

I didn't say I tinkered, our GM did :) And I tend to agree with you. While I now lean in the direction of an RKA vs. a normal EB, I think 4d6 is a bit much. We'll have our next session this weekend and see how it goes.

Aroooo

How about a write up on the SGC's FN P90 Submachine gun. All of the real world data that I have found about this weapon makes it seem much better than a sub 9mm SMG.

This is the latest version of the P90 from the Other Genre's section:

P90 (5.7x28mm) Tactical SMG: (Total: 100 Active Cost, 29 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Limited Armor Piercing (up to 20 PD armor only, not vs. Vehicle DEF, FF, FW; +1/4), +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2), 4 clips of 50 Charges (+3/4), Autofire (20 shots; +1 1/2) (80 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 11 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), Limited Range (200m effective range; -1/4), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 21) plus Reduced Recoil Impulse: +2 OCV (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Only to negate Autofire mods (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus Sights (optical and/or laser): +2 OCV (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

Only drop the AF back down to 5, 10 at the most.

Aroooo

This is the latest version of the P90 from the Other Genre's section:

P90 (5.7x28mm) Tactical SMG: (Total: 100 Active Cost, 29 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Limited Armor Piercing (up to 20 PD armor only, not vs. Vehicle DEF, FF, FW; +1/4), +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2), 4 clips of 50 Charges (+3/4), Autofire (20 shots; +1 1/2) (80 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 11 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), Limited Range (200m effective range; -1/4), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 21) plus Reduced Recoil Impulse: +2 OCV (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Only to negate Autofire mods (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus Sights (optical and/or laser): +2 OCV (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

Only drop the AF back down to 5, 10 at the most.

Aroooo

It is close to what I wrote up as well. The problem that I have with that writeup is that the gun is capable of piercing 48 layers of Kevlar. At 1D6+1 AP it still flattens most of it's rounds against a Kevlar Vest or does 1 body.(avg 5 body, 8 rPD halved is 4rPD). Which doesn't seem to model this gun very well.

Again a quote

SS190

The SS190 is the 5.7x28 mm Ball round. Its projectile will perforate any individual protection on today's battlefield including the PASGT kevlar helmet, 48 layers of kevlar body armor and the CRISAT target (titanium and kevlar). The SS190's conventional design allows it to be manufactured on existing production lines, and its lead-free composition eliminates range contamination.

Caliber

5.7x28mm

Cartridge length

1.6 in. (40.5mm)

Projectile weight

˜ 2.02g

Recoil implulse

˜ 1.95 kg m/s

Chamber pressure

345 MPa

Muzzle velocity

715 m/s

Perforation at 200 m

- Body armor (48 layers of kevlar)

- PASGT helmet

Sb193 (subsonic round)

The Sb193 cartridge has been designed to deliver a muzzle velocity of about 300 meters per second. This eliminates the loud crack caused by a bullet travelling faster than the speed sound. To enable the weapon to function reliably when firing this ammunition, the reduced velocity is compensated for by using a heavier bullet. The subsonic round is identified by the bullet's white tip.

Cartridge length

1.6 in. (40.5mm)

Projectile weight

˜ 3.6g

Recoil implulse

˜ 1.3 kg m/s

Chamber pressure

345 MPa

Muzzle velocity

300 m/s

Energy loss a 50 m

˜ 100 J

Effective range (penetration of 24 layers of kevlar)

50 m

The Arms Site AKA remtek.com

The problem is making a version that is as effective against armored targets as the real world version seems to be. That is why I was thinking of resurrecting piercing points. Which is just an easier way to simulate a gun's built in armor piercing capability.

Tasha,

I think you can kill someone with a BODY drain. Take a target down to -2x their BODY, and they die, just like regular damage. but since it takes a lot of drain to do that, I went in the EB direction.

I like your idea of the mental entangle. I'll have to see if I can work something like that into my design. For your limitations though, you have Beam, and I'm not sure I would use that, since we've seen SG-1 affect a living target by shooting the metal wall/object they were hiding behind. Also, you have Charges and Reduced END. You don't need both. Personally, I'd go with 0 END rather than charges.

Aroooo

Actually you are right. I looked it up. It does make the Zat way more expensive. You would have to also purchase a stun drain as well which makes the gun hugely expensive. It does allow for the destruction of the body after it reaches double body drained. I think that I like my version though. I think I will limit the Mental paralysis to second shot on same target only. That would allow for someone to run away if the initial shot didn't knock them out.

You are right about not needing "Reduced Endurance". That is what happens when you build things at work and don't pay attention to what you are doing. :)

Also these Multipower versions of the Zat are too complicated.

The funniest thing about all of this is that I am making the weapons that my character will be facing in the game. I am not GMing this one.

O'Neill blasted a rather large hole in a castle wall with only two or three shots in the pilot episode. Additionally, staff weapons have been shown to blow fist sized holes in people.

That being said, I may bump it down to 3.5d6 RKA AP.

I didn't say I tinkered' date=' our GM did :) And I tend to agree with you. While I now lean in the direction of an RKA vs. a normal EB, I think 4d6 is a bit much. We'll have our next session this weekend and see how it goes.[/quote']I meant "you" collectively, of course, as in the campaign you play in.

Let's hope the new staff weapons your GM has created don't kill too many PCs before he decides they are too powerful.

O'Neill blasted a rather large hole in a castle wall with only two or three shots in the pilot episode. Additionally, staff weapons have been shown to blow fist sized holes in people.

That being said, I may bump it down to 3.5d6 RKA AP.

That's still too powerful IMO. With the single exception of Samantha Carter, every other member of SG-1 has survived a hit from a staff weapon. 3d6 RKA AP or 4d6 RKA or 10d6 EB would be better reflections of what we've seen them actually do on the show.

The mental entangle is something I'm tinkering with regarding the Goa'uld hand device.

The Zat gun is... well, Aroooo will find out after i shoot him with it. :)

Let's hope the new staff weapons your GM has created don't kill too many PCs before he decides they are too powerful.

I'm not THAT vicious a GM.

As long as they can get back to the Stargate, Doc Frazier can always patch them up in time for the next adventure.

The mental entangle is something I'm tinkering with regarding the Goa'uld hand device.

The Zat gun is... well, Aroooo will find out after i shoot him with it. :)

Oh, thats just such an encouraging thought... Wait till I get you back on B5 :)

Aroooo

I might go a different direction with staff weapons...

its properties seem to be its going to ignore most if not all armor and it cau7ses really painful wounds that are sometimes lethal but often not. It tends to take people down and out very well.

So for its basic blast one guy mode...

2d6 RKA +2 (NND does body (stopped by force fields/walls and selected really special armor types such as the anubis guys)) +1 (+4x stun multiplier.) for about 120 active and -1 1/2 for OAF bulky for a net cost of around 48 pts.

i would tend to see the quick shots as just rapid fire.

i would also want to add an explosion type attack for the ground bursts, but those would be more or less shock, EB exp with extra knockdown.

so a three slot multipower with the NND, the ground burst and the HA seems close enough for HERO.

I might go a different direction with staff weapons...

its properties seem to be its going to ignore most if not all armor and it cau7ses really painful wounds that are sometimes lethal but often not. It tends to take people down and out very well.

So for its basic blast one guy mode...

2d6 RKA +2 (NND does body (stopped by force fields/walls and selected really special armor types such as the anubis guys)) +1 (+4x stun multiplier.) for about 120 active and -1 1/2 for OAF bulky for a net cost of around 48 pts.

i would tend to see the quick shots as just rapid fire.

i would also want to add an explosion type attack for the ground bursts, but those would be more or less shock, EB exp with extra knockdown.

so a three slot multipower with the NND, the ground burst and the HA seems close enough for HERO.

It seems to me that having decent body armor has been the thing that has saved the life of most of the SG team at one time or the other (that and the Talent Combat Luck). I don't really like building it with an NND that does body. Even my Zat now does a Body Drain instead of an NND does Body EB.

I also don't see the Staff weapon being Bulky. Unless you see a quarterstaff being bulky or a .50 Sniper rifle being bulky. The Jaffa use the Staff weapon as a quarterstaff and without much effort. If you see it being bulky then the best bet is making the Str min High (18 str or more). In my writeup I had the Blast as Str Min 10 (It does seem pretty easy to fire) even wimpy Daniel Jackson could fire one in the movie. Using it as a Quarterstaff has a Str Min of 15 due to it being kind of big and with 2 big weights on each end.

Here are my Golden Master Versions of the Staff Weapon, Zat Gun, and FN P-90

EQUIPMENT LIST

Staff Weapon:

(Total: 137 Active Cost, 35 Real Cost)

RKA 3d6+1, Armor Piercing (+1/2), 20 Recoverable Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances (1 Charge/10 minutes or Complicated Powercell Change); +1/2) (100 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; Staff Blast Str Min 10; -1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) (Real Cost: 25)

HA 5d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (37 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (Str Min 15 for Staff Strike; -1/2), Limited Power Hand to Hand Attack (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Range Based On STR (-1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Weapon Maxes out at 10d6 Damage from any additions; -1/4) (Real Cost: 10) (20 recoverable charges)

Zat'nik'tel (AKA Zat Gun or Zat):

(Total: 294 Active Cost, 123 Real Cost)

EB 7d6, 50 Charges (+1/2), NND (ForceFields and Force Walls; +1) (87 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; Str Min 5; -3/4), Limited Power Body Recovers 1 body/1 minute (-1/2), Cannot Use Targeting (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Not vs Goa'uld Force Screens; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), Reduced By Range (-1/4) (Real Cost: 17)

Drain BODY 5 1/2d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per 5 Minutes; +1/2), 50 Charges (+1/2) (110 Active Points); Linked (EB; -1/4) (Real Cost: 88) plus

Entangle 4d6, 0 DEF, Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4), Works Against EGO, Not STR (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2), 50 Charges (+1/2), BOECV (Standard Defenses apply; Use OCV to target; +1), Range Modifiers Apply (-1/4) (97 Active Points); No Defense (-1 1/2), OAF (-1), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Not vs Goa'uld Force Screens; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only after target is Knocked unconscious; -1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), Linked (EB; -1/4), STR Minimum (Str min 5; -1/4) (Real Cost: 18)Notes: When body x2 is exceeded and after the 3rd shot hits, the body disintegrates (50 Charges)

FN-P90 submachine gun:

Value: Weight:

(Total: 89 Active Cost, 24 Real Cost)

Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, 50 Charges (+1/4), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2) (26 Active Points); STR Minimum (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7)

Piercing points (RKA) 2 1/2d6 (standard effect: 7 BODY, 7 STUN), 50 Charges (+1/4) (50 Active Points); STR Minimum (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), OAF (-1), Linked (Killing Attack - Ranged; -1/4), Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Only to reduce armor; -1/4) (Real Cost: 12) plus

+2 OCV (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus

+1 vs Range (3 Active Points); OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 1) (50 Charges)

----

I would like to thank Dan Simon for his wonderful program that made this anal retentive list possible. Also all of those who have expressed their opinions here. There were some good ideas which were incorporated into the design of these items. Although, I have no idea whether of not my GM will even use these.

I would like to point out that that standard writeup of combat luck includes the Hardened advantage.

This makes alot of the AP or Pen writups I have seen over the last few pages a lot more consistent with what we see on the show. SG-1 and most of the other "name" NPCs have a level or two on top of their armor and thus are able to survive the huge DC attacks that are shredding all those Jaffa and Red Shirt SG teams.