Reference For DC

Chris Bloxham

Re: Reference For DC

I rented Boondock Saints when I saw it playing on the video store TV and thought it looked like it might be pretty darn cool. But I was sadly disappointed in it; I didn't like it at all. But then again I'm fairly picky about movies, and perhaps doubly so about my beloved action-adventure genre. ;)

Hello folks, there are tons of great references for Dark Champions. The Iron Age of Comics provided hordes of bad examples and a few good ones. I'll list a few of my favourites.

Comic Books:

Checkmate by DC.

The Vigilante by DC.

The Punisher by Marvel(selected issues).

ShadowHawk by Image.

Shadowman by Valiant.

BloodShot by Valiant.

Eternal Warrior by Valiant.

Nightman by Valiant?.

Batman: Dark Night by DC.

Movies and Television:

La Femme Nikita

Mission Impossible

The Pretender

Ronin (w/Robert DiNero)

The Bullet (w/Steve McQueen)

The Replacement Killers

The Mask (w/Jet Li)

"Shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never ever cut a deal with a gamer." ;)

QM

If you are into anime, Noir comes to mind.

Conspiracy, assassins, real-world tech (no sci-fi or supernatural stuff). Mostly pistols and martial arts. The story focuses on a female assassin who is approached by an even more lethal young girl with no memory. Together they investigate to try and determine who she is, who trained her, etc. They are pitted against a shadowy organization bent on stopping them... or so it seems. Pretty high body count. Mostly takes place in France but their investigations take them to New York, North Africa, Asia, Italy, Corsica, etc.

The Sentinel TV Series from Sci-fi and

Deathstroke the Terminator....He routinely kicks the Teen Titans collective butts...without superpowers, just extreme skills, training, and a few cool gadgets...I suspect he could be a match for HoJ :)

The Shield is an excellent choice, IMO, for a gritty modern campaign. I need to pickup the first two seasons. I started watching with the second season. Man, there is some nasty stuff in the second season.

NYPD Blue would be another good one. Sipowitcz is a good character to model for a good cop that crosses the line from time to time.

CSI, whatever one you want, is good too.

The Sentinel TV Series from Sci-fi and

Deathstroke the Terminator....He routinely kicks the Teen Titans collective butts...without superpowers, just extreme skills, training, and a few cool gadgets...I suspect he could be a match for HoJ :)

Actually, even from the beginning, he's had considerably enhanced physical attributes, senses, and healing.

• 11 months later...

DareDevil is a pretty good choice. For a somewhat "futuristic look", the anime series Bubblegum Crisis holds some merit.

There are also interesting excursions, which approach the subject with a somewhat alternate approach than the more conventional...like Forever Knight, The Crow and Big Trouble in Little China.

First and foremost...have fun, that's the final goal!

I'm actually tinkering with a DC game that would take place in about 2010. This lets me run in the "now" but have leeway to add some hi tech (read scifi hi tech). I was using the Bubblegum Crisis armor as a guide for some of the equipment. The PC will be part of a secret organization opposing an undefined enemy. Think Bubblegum Crisis, Blue Seed and Full Metal Panic tossing in a small sprinkle of MIB and X-Files.