I Got It!!

Vanguard00

Received my eBay-purchased copy of "Strike Force" in the mail this week. A little scuffing on the cover but otherwise it's in great shape. A mere $26 later and I think I have a complete Hero Games collection (well, everything I want, anyway).

This is good stuff, too. Much of it I recognize from earlier editions of Champions (III, I think it was), but it's still a great read, and it gave me a few ideas I can incorporate into my existing campaign.

Just had to share.

Re: I Got It!!

Congratulations on attaining the Holy Grail of HERO game collecting. :thumbup:

Yes, Strike Force is an excellent compilation of gaming advice, much of which has become so pervasive throughout the industry that most people don't realize that this was the source.

What sets it apart for me, though, is the narration of the course of Aaron's campaign, and the lessons he learned from it. It's one thing to have a book tell you, "You should remember to such-and-so," but the lessons resonate so much more when you can hear how they actually evolved out of real game-play. It's a rare look behind the curtain at an excellently-run campaign.

Congrats, I agree with Just a Guy, probably the best Champs supplement bar none.

I still take out my copy whenever the creative batteries are wearing down.

Is it more of a holy grail than "Wings of the Valkyrie"?

Wings Of The Valkyrie is almost certainly rarer, and usually more expensive when it comes up for sale or auction; but responses to it are mixed, and most people consider it 'way overpriced, even by collectors' standards. OTOH Strike Force is almost universally respected and praised.

Wings Of The Valkyrie is almost certainly rarer' date=' and usually more expensive when it comes up for sale or auction; but responses to it are mixed, and most people consider it 'way overpriced, even by collectors' standards. OTOH [b']Strike Force[/b] is almost universally respected and praised.

I agree with LL. I bought Strike Force while it was new. Good supplement (except for that rifle butt writeup).

Wings is a pretty weak supplement that would of been forgotten except for it's subject matter. You can still pick up shrinkwrapped versions for < $20. If you really want one, cherry pick on ebay.

I agree with LL. I bought Strike Force while it was new. Good supplement (except for that rifle butt writeup).

Wings is a pretty weak supplement that would of been forgotten except for it's subject matter. You can still pick up shrinkwrapped versions for < $20. If you really want one, cherry pick on ebay.

I'd sure like to study your cherry-picking technique, lem; I've never seen a shrinkwrapped or similar-quality copy of Wings sell for less than $40.00 on eBay. Some used-game retailers are asking $90.00+ for one... and this is a 32-page stapled softcover. :rolleyes:

I admire and enjoyed the adventure quite a bit, but I understand your reaction. Still costs too much, though. ;)

I'd sure like to study your cherry-picking technique' date=' lem; I've never seen a shrinkwrapped or similar-quality copy of [b']Wings[/b] sell for less than $40.00 on eBay. Some used-game retailers are asking $90.00+ for one... and this is a 32-page stapled softcover. :rolleyes:

I admire and enjoyed the adventure quite a bit, but I understand your reaction. Still costs too much, though. ;)

Maybe I got lucky? There was a string of them on ebay and I just kept plugging away at them at $15. I think the one I won, I bid at the traditional last 15 minutes. ;)

I got mine new back in the day, along with my NM copy of wings that I can't sell because then my collection would no longer be almost complete and it would keep me up nights. (Yes, I know I need some help for that).

On a related note, does anyone know where I can get a copy of the original GAC? Not the 4th ed version, the older one. I just missed one on E-bay recently and the seller hasn't returned my e-mails asking if he'd sell it privately. :( IT'S ALL I NEED MAN!!! ;)

I got mine new back in the day, along with my NM copy of wings that I can't sell because then my collection would no longer be almost complete and it would keep me up nights. (Yes, I know I need some help for that).

On a related note, does anyone know where I can get a copy of the original GAC? Not the 4th ed version, the older one. I just missed one on E-bay recently and the seller hasn't returned my e-mails asking if he'd sell it privately. :( IT'S ALL I NEED MAN!!! ;)

The Firebird version. It's very nice...

Golden Age Of Champions

On a related note' date=' does anyone know where I can get a copy of the original GAC? Not the 4th ed version, the older one. I just missed one on E-bay recently and the seller hasn't returned my e-mails asking if he'd sell it privately. :( IT'S ALL I NEED MAN!!! ;)[/quote']

There are a couple of copies currently available at Noble Knight Games, although IMO they're a tad pricey. Just do a search for "Golden Age Of Champions", NOT "Golden Age Champions".

As an aside, that book also has the optional "Self-Inflicted Damage" rule, which I think fills a gap in HERO System, i.e. how you run someone injuring himself by punching something that's really unyielding, like a brick wall.