Recovery and Endurance logic

zebediah

Endurance, as a characteristic, is 2 per point. Endurance, as a reserve, is 10 per point. This seems to be following some sort of "5 points of effect for 1 point" rule, like equipment, followers, multiform, and duplication.

Recovery, for a reserve costs 1 point per.

Recovery, as a characteristic, costs 2 points per but also replenishes Stun.

Regeneration, for Body damage, which is nominally built on cp healing, costs about 8 points to heal one Body each turn, and you can't "take a recovery" to have it heal more often.

The proportions seem all off between recovery and endurance, for reserves and characters, seems all wonky. Beyond that, Recovery seems to be a tremendous discounton trying to build the same thing as a power...and comes packaged in characteristics which already give you a hefty discount.

I may simply be missing something, but...I don't see the logic of how these work together, how the points balance. Where do these numbers come from?

Re: Recovery and Endurance logic

Not sure why you bring Regen into the mix. Normally you get your REC in BODY per Month. This really has nothing to do with END.

Your normal REC affects both STUN and normal END, REC in a reserve does not -- it only effects the END of the Reserve itself.

END in a Reserve is a bargain. But consider:

a) its a Power

B) its not available in genres that dont allow Powers to Characters.

c) normal STR, Run, Swim, Leap runs off of personal END.

d) CON x 2 = at least 20 free END to a person w/o an END Reserve.

e) it allows "supers" with otherwise NCM stats to have an END Reserve to run their super powers off of (good for many Blasters, Mentalists, and Power Armor types who are physically normal).

f) You can take a REC to recover normal END, not so an END Reserve.

g) You have to buy REC for an END REserve seperately.

Actually, I consider END reserve potentially problematic. Look at it this way, in a Supers game.

I have a 23 CON, and I spend 2 points to round my END up to 50. Let's assume I have a 10 REC.

What if I sell back all my END, for 25 points? I then use that 25 points to buy a 150 point END battery with 10 REC. I have 3x as much END, and it recovers just as fast, assuming I wouldn't take a recovery. Pretty much the only time I do take a recovery in combat is when I've been KO'd and need the END. I don't lose my reserve from being KO'd.

Pretty good deal...

I didn't think characteristics were inherent...I've seen some scary things done with Drain Endurance, Supress Body, and the like. For more common effects, "weakness" spells that drain or suppress Strength are pretty straightforward. Otherwise, we wouldn't have the rule that supressed primary characteristics don't result in supressed figured characteristics.

And it doesn't invalidate the "sell back my endurance to buy an endurance reserve," but I think some things are necessarily hooked into your personal END. Your strength, for example...though I could think of a few instances where you could hook it to an END reserve (there was a character in a novel I looked at who was a paralyzed telekinetic, but was so deft at the telekinesis that he could move around like a normal person whenever he was in range of a gestalt engine.)

I brought up healing/regeneration because it's another highly straightforward way of achieving a very similar effect to recovery--CP healing of END & Stun once a turn. Doing the same thing to anything else is much more expensive, and I'm curious as to why.

The proportions seem all off between recovery and endurance, for reserves and characters, seems all wonky. Beyond that, Recovery seems to be a tremendous discounton trying to build the same thing as a power...and comes packaged in characteristics which already give you a hefty discount.

I may simply be missing something, but...I don't see the logic of how these work together, how the points balance. Where do these numbers come from?

I can't help you on where the numbers come from, but let's see if an example or two can clear things up for you.

The biggest thing to start off with is to not confuse your Recovery (Rec) or Endurance (End) with an Endurance Reserve (ER). An ER is independent from your End and usually either applies to one power (say, mystical blast), or a group of related powers (FIRE! FIRE!).

First example is comparing someone without an ER to someone who has it.

Let's take two characters who have the same powers (FIRE! FIRE!), but one has an ER and the other doesn't. Both characters have flame powers dealing with flight, energy blasts & force fields.

Fireman has no ER. If he walks, runs, or flys, the cost of End comes from his characteristics stats. Every post segmment 12 he gets a Rec to his End and Stun. But what if Fireman overexerted himself and pushed his Energy Blast once and now is low on End, and he was smacked very hard by the Ice Scream Man and is also low on Stun. Maybe on phase 12, he takes a Rec. This applies to his End & Stun on his characteristics. No one attacks him on phase 12 and when post-segment 12 Rec comes, he gets another Rec (as does everyone else). Wow! New turn and Fireman is feeling refreshed and ready to go!

Pyrotech has an ER that applies only to his fire powers. If he walks or runs, his End spent comes from his characteristics. If he flies, the End comes from his ER. Every phase his force field is up and every energy blast fired, the End comes from his ER. Now, what if Pyrotech also pushed his Energy Blast and is getting low on End. Also, he was whacked by Ice Scream Man and is low on Stun. On phase 12, Pyrotech wants to take a Rec behind a building. When he takes his Rec, it applies to his CHARACTERISTICS of Stun and End; his ER *DOES NOT* get a recovery, so he's still hurting on End to shoot another Energy Blast. With an ER, it only gets a Rec during post-segment 12. Whatever the Rec on his ER is, that is how much End will come back - no Stun! (Note, though, that on p-s 12, Pyrotech still gets his *characteristic* Rec for his regular End & Stun.)

Using the above two, let's compare costs. Pretend that both Fireman and Pyrotech have all the same characteristic stats, OCV/DCVs and powers until they get to their last 40 points. Maybe the players of the characters are going for a theme (twins, friendly rivals, or testing which method is better) and decide that these last points will be the deciding factors. Now, with 40 points Pyrotech mentions he's going to have an ER for his fire powers. He then spends 20 points on the End & 20 on Rec, for 200 End 20 Rec in his ER. Very impressive. The player of Fireman wants to allocate his points the same way, but won't use an ER. He spends 20 points on his End (adding 40) and spends 20 on Rec (adding 10).

To keep things simple, both characters had 10 Rec, 50 Stun & 50 End before spending their last 40 points. After spending the points, though, Fireman now has a 15 Rec & 90 End.

In the above two examples, let's pretend that both characters have used up 15 End for Running (work with me), 65 End for powers and taken 45 stun.

Character ------ "Starting" End/Stun -- Seg 12 Rec -- P-Seg 12 Rec

Fireman................10/5.....................25/30..................40/45

Pyrotech.................25/5.....................35/15..................45/25

Pyrotech's ER............135/-...................135/-..................155/-

With this, Pyrotech still has plenty of End in his ER to keep using flame powers, but he's much closer to being ko'd than Fireman. Here, Pyrotech *might* be able to push both his Energy Blast and Force Field to get some extra oomph in to help out. If so, he can save the day. But if he can't, he's likely to be the next one to go out.

Now, let's pretend that the above two are fighting Phantom Fatigue who drains End out the wazoo and hits them for some Stun as well. Somehow, both are down to 5 End & Stun on their characteristics and Pyrotech has only 5 End left in is ER. Let's see how that works out.

Character ------ "Starting" End/Stun -- Seg 12 Rec -- P-Seg 12 Rec

Fireman................5/5......................20/20..................35/35

Pyrotech.................5/5.....................15/15..................25/25

Pyrotech's ER............5/-.....................5/-...................25/-

Oh, no! While both men are close to being out and might need to retreat, Fireman has it better in case Phantom Fatique has one last fatigue/concussion grenade left.

Also, an ER can represent one power (especially for continuous/uncontrolled powers). Let's pretend that {speed 6} Nancy "the Nice" Ninja has her standard ninja weapons, but she has one mystical weapon as well. While searching the supposedly empty estate of the Evil Unethical Imperials, she is ambushed by four {speed 5} Aggressive Assassins. Uh oh! Nancy "the Nice" Ninja can simultaneously deal with two, no problem; three, tough but doable; four, she's not *that* good. Well, in cases like this, Nancy has a secret weapon, she has one Shakra Shuriken of Shame for which she has bought an ER (6 Rec/30 End). Maybe this is a RKA continuous/uncontrolled. Anyway, it costs 5 End/phase to use. Nancy Ninja starts off combat with levels in DCV while throwing her Shakra Shuriken of Shame at one of the Agressive Assassins and hits! She does damage, including a BODY or two. The enemy attacks and only one hits for minimal damage. Now, on Nancy's next turn, her Shuriken (at 5 End per Nancy attack phase) keeps on attacking said Assassin who starts screaming that "it's alive and it's crawling!" At the same time, Nancy does a sweep on two of her foes. To make a long story short, after six Nancy phases of combat, that Shuriken has attacked 6 times, possibly killing or KO'ing one Assassin. Nancy may be wounded herself and have only one opponent left who's in better condition than she is, but he doesn't know it. Last phase the Assassin who was hit by the Shurkin dies a nasty, gurgling death after screaming the whole time. Even though Nancy doesn't have any more mystical Shurikens, she bluffs by pulling a regular shuriken out and asks "Do you want some of this, too?" The last Assassin flees. One minute/five turns later, the Shakra Shuriken of Shame is *finally* recharged, though Nancy has had the potential of 30 recoveries! She has finished getting what info she needs and flees, is at her maximum Stun & End, has bandaged her wounds, and is going home for the night!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you still have some questions on it.

And it doesn't invalidate the "sell back my endurance to buy an endurance reserve," but I think some things are necessarily hooked into your personal END. Your strength, for example...though I could think of a few instances where you could hook it to an END reserve (there was a character in a novel I looked at who was a paralyzed telekinetic, but was so deft at the telekinesis that he could move around like a normal person whenever he was in range of a gestalt engine.)

That was in Anne McCaffery's Pegasus books. Peter Salinger IIRC. That could be done by a partially limited buy off on his Parapalegic Phys Lim. Requires gestalt source (-1/4).

Actually, I consider END reserve potentially problematic. Look at it this way, in a Supers game.

I have a 23 CON, and I spend 2 points to round my END up to 50. Let's assume I have a 10 REC.

What if I sell back all my END, for 25 points? I then use that 25 points to buy a 150 point END battery with 10 REC. I have 3x as much END, and it recovers just as fast, assuming I wouldn't take a recovery. Pretty much the only time I do take a recovery in combat is when I've been KO'd and need the END. I don't lose my reserve from being KO'd.

Pretty good deal...

Yeah, until someone Dispells your Endurance Reserve. Characteristics can't be Dispelled, but Powers can. And unlike a Drain (which would affect the END of the Reserve as if it's normal END), a Dispell just has to exceen the AP (25), which isn't that hard at 3 points per D6.

Other than that, you can't take a Recovery. I've noticed this isn't much of a problem, but it means that it would take a while to recharge. An extened battle will leave you depleted and keep you that way.

Of course, this can all be solved by making the Reserve Inherant. Which would give you 100 END 10 REC for 25 points, but not the ability to take a Recovery. Now that's a fair deal.

Yeah' date=' until someone Dispells your Endurance Reserve. Characteristics can't be Dispelled, but Powers can. And unlike a Drain (which would affect the END of the Reserve as if it's normal END), a Dispell just has to exceen the AP (25), which isn't that hard at 3 points per D6.[/quote']

On the rules board, Steve was asked about this. The Reserve could be activated on the character's next phase, its END fully intact. Some mention of common sense and dramatic effect was made (eg. a Dispel that drains electricity realy ought to leave an elecric battery drained - but the use of "drain" twice in that statement seems to imply a different power...).

And normal END can also be drained/suppressed/etc.

Other than that' date=' you can't take a Recovery. I've noticed this isn't much of a problem, but it means that it would take a while to recharge. An extened battle will leave you depleted and keep you that way.[/quote']

REC 10 per turn = 3 minutes for a full 150 point recharge. A long time compared to the guy with 50 END, who can recover everything in 12 seconds or less, but then he doesn't get the other advantages of an END battery.

Of course' date=' this can all be solved by making the Reserve Inherant. Which would give you 100 END 10 REC for 25 points, but not the ability to take a Recovery. Now that's a fair deal.[/quote']

Twice as much END at the drawback of requiring 2 minutes instead of 5 phases to get back up to full power? Probably a good deal more often than not. And I'll buy an END & REC drain (hmmm...or a Suppress at 0 END...) to power down those poor suckers with non-inherent characteristics. :bounce:

NOTE: I'm not saying I don't see cases where the END battery would be disadvantageous, but on the whole I see an advantage over ordinary END. I don't see it abused (good group I game with) but I do see it as susceptible to abuse.

NOTE: I'm not saying I don't see cases where the END battery would be disadvantageous' date=' but on the whole I see an advantage over ordinary END. I don't see it abused (good group I game with) but I do see it as susceptible to abuse.[/quote']

No agrument there. I've only allowed something like this (actually selling back one's END to 0 and buying a Reserve in place of it) twice. In both cases it was because of the characters' concepts. One was a creature that absorbed light and stored it for use an energy (END). If he was knocked out, he'd still have all of it. The other was a golem that never got "knocked out" but severe physical trauma could render him nonfunctional until he healed (identical mechanis to being KO'ed) but would still have his store of mystical energy, possibly restored some.

No agrument there. I've only allowed something like this (actually selling back one's END to 0 and buying a Reserve in place of it) twice. In both cases it was because of the characters' concepts. One was a creature that absorbed light and stored it for use an energy (END). If he was knocked out' date=' he'd still have all of it. The other was a golem that never got "knocked out" but severe physical trauma could render him nonfunctional until he healed (identical mechanis to being KO'ed) but would still have his store of mystical energy, possibly restored some.[/quote']

As I said, I haven't seen it abused, and again likely because my players design to concept, not to min/maxing.

So..to gather together some of the things people have said here:

Endurance Reserves are typically only applicable to a single SFX, as opposed to Endurance, which can be used for anything.

Certain things are necessarily taken out of Endurance, rather than an ER. Strength and running movement are the primary examples.

You can spend your "Endurance" below zero by taking stun damage. Not so with an ER--when you're out, you're out.

Recovery replenishes your Endurance, but you have to buy ER Recovery to replenish your ER...and ER recovery only acts once a turn.

When suffocating, you lose your Endurance, then your Stun, and finally your Body. ER doesn't figure into this at all.

However, if you get knocked out, your Endurance drops to zero. Your Endurance Reserve stays the same.

These limitations are the reason that ER is 1/5 the cost of Endurance.

On Recovery...I was asking about it because I was trying to figure out why Rec only costs 2 points, when it looks like it should cost more if you build it with Healing. But here's some numbers...assuming you have a very generous GM, and that he just waives the cap on the Healing.

Stun Recovery for Taking a Recovery:

Simplified Healing, Standard Effect (10 points per 3 pips), No End (+1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Takes a Full Phaze (-1/2), Restrainable: cannot be used if you cannot or are not breathing for any reason (-1/2), Handwave that it heals 1 END per pip instead of 1 Body per 3 pips.

Total: 15/2.5 = 6 points for 3 pips = 2 points per pip.

Stun Recovery for Post-Segment-12

Simplified Healing, Standard Effect (10 points per 3 pips), Persistant (+1/2), No END (+1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Takes a Full Turn (-1 1/4), Restrainable as above (-1/2), Handwave as above.

Total: 20/2.25 = 7.3 points per 3 pips = 2.4 points per pip.

Combined, that's nearly 4.5 points per pip...over twice what Rec costs.

The only thing I can imagine they do is that everyone actually has an extra phaze, bought as +1 Speed, Only For Making Recoveries, which always goes in the bookkeeping of post-segment-12. That gives you a cost of about 2 for each Rec, and the cost of the extra recovery phaze is common to all characters, like knowing their native language idiomatically, and thus free.

• 2 weeks later...

Personal END/REC has several advantages over and END reserve that keep them balanced, especially if the GM is good. One that is often overlooked is the back-to-back battles feature. Our heroes have just defeated the villain of the week only to find out that he was really just a diversion and Dr. Destroyer is about to blow up something on the other side of town. During the interrogation, the heroes with personal RECs can quickly recover all the END they lost during the fight. But if that END reserve only recovers on post 12, or worse, like many focus based END reserves only recovers in a lab or under other special circumstances, the guy with the END reserve could be heading into the second fight low on END. This is a bad, bad thing.

Personal END/REC has several advantages over and END reserve that keep them balanced' date=' especially if the GM is good. One that is often overlooked is the back-to-back battles feature. Our heroes have just defeated the villain of the week only to find out that he was really just a diversion and Dr. Destroyer is about to blow up something on the other side of town. During the interrogation, the heroes with personal RECs can quickly recover all the END they lost during the fight. But if that END reserve only recovers on post 12, or worse, like many focus based END reserves only recovers in a lab or under other special circumstances, the guy with the END reserve could be heading into the second fight low on END. This is a bad, bad thing.[/quote']

In general, I don't see back to back as that major an advantage, depending on how one buys an END reserve. Certainly, if the recovery is greatly limited, this will cause problems. But if you have a 100 point reserve, and a 10 REC that costs 20 points - the same points will only purchase 40 END. I*f we assume a sell-back of END to fund the EB, that leaves my flying energy projector with a 25 CON 10 END, in case he actually needs to run or use STR.

Assuming 10 personal REC (to keep it even), he takes 2 minutes to recover 100% of his END (versus less than a turn for his teammate on personal END). How often will there be a second battle within 10 turns, allowing 1 turn to recover? Not more often than getting KO'd in a fight and recovering (with negligible END), in my experience. How long does it take to interrogate a prisoner? First, he has to recover from being taken down by the heroes. Then, we need to spend the time to question him. Two minutes isn't that long for these things to happen, unless the "diverson" is just looking for a chance to reveal the plot.

remember ER does not goto 0 if you get KO'd, end does, combat wise this is a advantage. ( if ypou get KO'd you have o end )

Also it avoids AP caps as it is a easy way of o end ( effectivly ) for powers.

ER is as suceptible to drain sfx as end is. no advantage/lim

You define where the end comes from , str and running , your choice

Hugh,

To me, any power that comes from the person should be run off of personal END. END reserve is for gadgets to represent how much power/fuel something has. This means that END reserve, to me at least, is almost always built into a focus - and thus probably has a limit about how it recharges. The back to back fight scenario isn't a big advantage for personal END, but in my games it IS an advantage.

Hugh,

To me, any power that comes from the person should be run off of personal END. END reserve is for gadgets to represent how much power/fuel something has. This means that END reserve, to me at least, is almost always built into a focus - and thus probably has a limit about how it recharges. The back to back fight scenario isn't a big advantage for personal END, but in my games it IS an advantage.

That would limit the ability to abuse the END battery, but it's not "the rules as written". I suspect there are some Champions w/u's which use END battery (though I haven't gone looking).

I know Turakian Age allows wizards to choose to draw END from an END battery or their personal reserves (with the added ability to pay 2x personal END if they take a Battery and it runs out).

True, it isn't "the rules as writen" but at the same time, I think that if you fall back on the basic caveat of "the player must justify all powers/abilities" it's pretty close. How do you, for instance, justify having an END reserve and personal END both for abilities which are "natural"? How often do you see in the comics(or any other genre) that someone burns themself out using their powers but still has lots of energy to do other things? I'd be hard pressed to think of ANY such circumstance that could not be explained by putting charges on the abilities as opposed to an END reserve(i.e. Magus can only cast so many fireball spells before he has to re-memorize them). Sure, people get their powers turned off and can still do other things, but that would be suppress/dispel vs. specific power effect, which is NOT the same thing.

Just a quick check--it was mentioned that if an endurance reserve bought with the Focus limitation was dispelled, it would have to be fixed before it could be used again. Is that a general effect of the focus limitiation (begins thinking of "dispell guns" powers), or a specific interaction of Focus and ER?

Mike--what do you mean by "natural?"

Charges and END cost are two different ways of dealing with the "cost" of a power. One "burns up fuel" once per time the power is used--the other does so in proportion to how many APs of Powers are used. Without the physics that a game system enforces, it's often impossible to tell from source material which is which--the only logical way is to watch how often the character uses their powers at less than full force, as that would only be econimical if they're using END instead of charges.

There are some nice writeups of magic drawing from an ER...the most obvious one is Killer Shrike's rewrite of the AD&D mechanics, where you get so many "spell levels" of effect per day. Or the brief descriptions of the mechanics of magic in Robert Asprin's Myth series of novels, where one gathers magical energy inside one's self or draws it from the ambient ether when casting. Not having the energy on hand means you have to draw it first, slowing down spellcasting, and when in the vampiric dimention where there's hardly any ambient magical power, it's to some degree gotten around by drawing as much as you can over a long period of time to fuel toned-down spells for a short while.

In fact, the best way to build that would probably be to have a spell multipower and an ER with no recovery--the recovery for it being a slot in the multipower.

the GURPS "unlimited mana" rules would also be a good example of an ER system for spellcasting that has no focus and you couldn't do with charges very effectively.

My definition of a natural power is one that is inherent in the character whatever the special effect. So Superman's strength and Captain America's strength are both "natural" powers, even though Superman's comes from his alien physiology and Cap's derives from the super soldier serum. Similarly, the Human Torch's flame abilities are natural. The key point here is that the energy that power all of those effects comes from the character, never an outside source. A system where the power never comes from the character is most likely a foci. Iron Man's armor is a good example. Cybernetics are generally ruled "inherent" in my book since they are part of the character's body and do not operate independently. Any "energy" they need to run is provided by the character's body. An END reserve MIGHT apply to an occasional individual power(I can only fire X number of plasma blasts) but that is going to be better represented by charges in most cases. What it all boils down to is that personal END is for things that the character must personally provide the energy to power whereas END reserve is for things powered by an outside source. There are exceptions(certain cybernetics, for instance) but not many.

All other considerations aside, I'm reluctant to restrict END reserve to foci simply because it seems to imply we can only have an END reserve with very specific special effects. To me, that is inconsistent with a major "uber-rule" of the Hero System - mechanics are separate from special effects.

If this were the approach, I would suggest elimination of END reserves entirely. Just buying END with limitations ("only for these powers"; "can't recover outside PS 12"; "needs separate REC stat") and an advantage ("not lost when KO'd) would then suit the purpose. I don't expect that would result in a uniform -4 limitation for END or a uniform -1 for REC.

At the end of the day, if 1 point for 10 END is too cheap, it's too cheap for both focuses and natural abilities. Characters taking the focus limitation should not receive an advantage in the form of an option to buy cheaper END that stays around even if he's KO'd.

An END reserve can be a limit on a power - it can be used only so much before it won't work any more - that recovers differently from either natural recovery or charges [like in the "old days" when END reserve was a limitation, much like charges, and not a power of its own - more a variant "charges" that the less power you used, the more shots you could fire]. There's no reason such a power should need to have a focus.

How do you' date=' for instance, justify having an END reserve and personal END both for abilities which are "natural"? How often do you see in the comics(or any other genre) that someone burns themself out using their powers but still has lots of energy to do other things? I'd be hard pressed to think of ANY such circumstance that could not be explained by putting charges on the abilities as opposed to an END reserve.[/quote']

Mentalists. Mystics. Solar powered characters.

Mentalists use their "brain power" for mental spells. Their physical END (such as running) do not simply come from their mental abilities. A mentalist could run a few blocks and be winded -because he doesn't exercise- but when he sees a villain, he can put up his mental defenses and EGO blast with the best of them. The mentalist prefers to stay out of direct combat because he's not the physical type and would get exhausted doing half-moves every phase, yet he has the willpower so-to-speak to keep on using mental tricks throughout combat.

Mystics are basically the same. Take the stereotypical wizard who is old & frail, yet casts uberpowerful spells. No one has seen him run in years (he has only a 10 CON so 20 "stat" END), but he can cast fireballs for an hour before he feels "drained." Here, D&D is a perfect example. A mage can cast a certain number of spells until he runs out, after he rests -usually eight hours for powerful mages, less for weaker ones- he gets his spells back. Even when he's out of spells, he can still run, walk, ride and throw daggers or whack a goblin with a staff.

A solar powered super can walk around all day and party at night; however, the player chose to limit his character's END battery with a limitation of only recharges in sunlight (and maybe under full moons). If the party goes underground, or is battling at night, the PC has lots to draw from, but is then restricted in that he can't recharge. Once his "battery" or solar skin is out of juice, he can still pick up the stereotypical damsel in distress and start carrying or escorting her up to the surface or out of the danger zone, using his other "natural" END based off his CON.