Liberty or Freedom League?

The Vanguard

Re: Liberty or Freedom League?

I like Liberty League better of the two, but how many are in the "league?"

Personally, I like Freedom Force, but that wasn't an option.

The guys I used to game with always liked the "Sentinels of Liberty and Justice." I was in the minority who thought that was corny.

Though Justice Society gives me sentimental goose bumps.

cenntenial city hmm i kind of imagine the team being called "The Hundred". obviously they wouldn't have that many superpowered members(mind you tyehy coudl go all avengers and have loads) but they have lots of agents and normal citizens who watch out for trouble for them and each gets a membership card and hundred watch radio or something.

I don't think either is appropriate. There's not a single SA team with those words in their name:

Challengers of the Unknown

Legion of Super-Heroes

Justice League of America

Fantastic Four

Metal Men

Avengers

X-Men

Doom Patrol

Legion of Substitute Heroes

Teen Titans

Mighty Crusaders

T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents

Inferior Five

Terrific Three

Ultra-Men

S.H.I.E.L.D.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Alliteration and acronyms are the mark of a SA team name. So yeah, Liberty League wouldn't be as bad.

'Liberty' and 'Freedom' are usually thought to be the mark of a Golden Age team but this isn't quite accurate either. What they are in fact are the marks of a Roy Thomas 70s retro Golden Age team. Neither has ever been used for a genuine WW2 era supergroup. They were first employed in 'The Liberty Legion' and 'Freedom's Five', both in 1976.

How about calling the Golden Age team The Nazi Smashers and the Silver Age team The Commie Smashers? There's continuity for you.

None of this liberty/freedom bollocks. That's a modern spin on WW2. Back then they were fighting to win the war.

It's interesting to note that Roy Thomas's freedom/liberty teams were created in the bicentennial year. The American Revolution was more about freedom. Freedom from having to pay taxes to the King of England.

Of course' date=' I'd be tempted to call them the Centennial Sentinels myself, but I'm a weirdo.[/quote']

I think the "Centennial Sentinels" is a sweet team name, but what about...

THE FREEDOM RING!

And yah, these sound more golden than silver to me, but that's cool! It's a free country, especially in Nevada.

'Liberty' and 'Freedom' are usually thought to be the mark of a Golden Age team but this isn't quite accurate either. What they are in fact are the marks of a Roy Thomas 70s retro Golden Age team. Neither has ever been used for a genuine WW2 era supergroup. They were first employed in 'The Liberty Legion' and 'Freedom's Five'' date=' both in 1976.[/quote']

Not quite. Len Wein created the Freedom Fighters in 1973, from various old Quality Comics characters DC owned the rights to. They showed up in one of the JLA/JSA crossovers, and had a short-lived series in the late 70s.

They included: Uncle Sam, Black Condor, Doll Man, the Human Bomb, the Ray and, of course, the Phantom Lady.

Dam that's mean I can't use Freedom League if I don't want to get sued' date=' if this name is used in a published product.[/quote']

Um, no it doesn't. I hope this was supposed to be sarcastic or humorous. You can't be sued for using a name in a game as a player or GM. (Geez, Marvel would be all over the "Wolverines" out there.) Now, HERO can't publish a book with Superman, Wonder Woman, Spiderman, or Wolverine, but there isn't a law preventing you from pretending to be one of them in a game.