PLEASE ! No more 'What would your character do ?' threads

death tribble

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: PLEASE ! No more 'What would your character do ?' threads

Seems to me a single thread would be unmanageable. A separate forum' date=' on the other hand, would seem to do the trick. Unfortunately, that needs someone form "higher authority" to implement.[/quote']

It won't happen. Ben said he wasn't interested in creating another forum on here. I'm starting to see this as a situation where people are refusing to compromise and that is just making me less likely to want to come back to this particular forum.

You won't get a seperate forum for this in the same way that you won't get a seperate forum for the politics in the NGD forum. We have tried and asked for it. It was refused.

Nice try at a solution though.

Unfortunately Metaphysician is all against and offering no compromise. I would point out that I am not the only one that does not like it as the other replies here indicate. I am willing to listen to suggestions and try and resolve it.

Last I checked there were only three WWYCD threads in the top twenty, which seems a perfectly reasonable amount. As far as I'm concerned there's no longer a problem, either because the posters involved listened to DT or because people just got bored of WWYCD. Or both.

I mostly ignore the WWYCD threads, unless someone points one out to me as particularly interesting. I have no problem ignoring things I'm not interested in reading - that's the case on every single board I read of any type anywhere online. I don't see why anyone else finds this problematic.

I see the point of those who think putting all the WWYCD threads into one thread would be unmanageable, because the discussion would be incredibly disjointed, as different people are responding to different questions. Keeping them as a single thread better allows for ongoing discussion, on the occasions when one of the threads maintains sustained interest.

Last I checked there were only three WWYCD threads in the top twenty' date=' which seems a perfectly reasonable amount. As far as I'm concerned there's no longer a problem, either because the posters involved listened to DT or because people just got bored of WWYCD. Or both.[/quote'] Kinda, sorta but not quite. It seems folks are reserving the right to post as many WWYCD threads as they feel like it and others would like a clearer understanding of what would be an acceptable compromise.

I really don't see what the problem is. I don't care if other people want to talk about somethng I'm not interested in enough to tell them "shut up" or don't talk about that so much. There's allot of threads here I have zilch interest in at even given time. I just don't read them. Its no big deal for me.

Would either of you like a WWYCD Question thread and a WWYCD Answer thread so that you can check the latest question with a single click' date=' and only answer if you feel like it?[/quote']

No. Combining multiple otherwise unrelated scenarios like that would produce nothing but chaos.

I really don't see what the problem is. I don't care if other people want to talk about somethng I'm not interested in enough to tell them "shut up" or don't talk about that so much. There's allot of threads here I have zilch interest in at even given time. I just don't read them. Its no big deal for me.

My thoughts, too.

Is it *really* that much of a hardship to be forced to scroll down the page reading thread titles, and maybe, horror of horrors, click to go to the second page to see more new threads??

My thoughts, too.

Is it *really* that much of a hardship to be forced to scroll down the page reading thread titles, and maybe, horror of horrors, click to go to the second page to see more new threads??

Yes.

Yes.

Why's that? I mean honestly. I try to behave when it comes to internet conversations the same why I would in RL. If people were having a conversation I wasn't interested in, I just wouldn't participate. Its not great hardship on me. Not trying to add fuel to the fire here, but the complaints seem allot like "Don't talk about anything allot on these boards that am I not interested in because I don't like to scroll past them." I only see two wwycd threads on the front page anyway, so the fervor died down. There are always flaps when something is particularly popular that some people don't like, like those silly "Could your team beat X" threads that seemed to go on forever. Just ride it out, things pass.

Why's that? I mean honestly. I try to behave when it comes to internet conversations the same why I would in RL. If people were having a conversation I wasn't interested in' date=' I just wouldn't participate. Its not great hardship on me. Not trying to add fuel to the fire here, but the complaints seem allot like "Don't talk about anything allot on these boards that am I not interested in because I don't like to scroll past them." I only see two wwycd threads on the front page anyway, so the fervor died down. There are always flaps when something is particularly popular that some people don't like, like those silly "Could your team beat X" threads that seemed to go on forever. Just ride it out, things pass.[/quote']

I don't come into the champions thread often. Last week I posted a new thread regarding a question for a campaign idea. I went to check on it an hour later and it was already on page 2 with only 13 views. In its place were 14 threads of WWYCD because someone who hadn't answered them decided to go back and get everyone he had missed. The only reason why it managed to stay up is because I dug it out of page 2 and bumped it. If I need to continuiously bump a thread to page 2 for people to see, it, why do I want to even bother with this forum.

I've offered two suggestions and have been told that they wouldn't work. People have asked to try and keep it to 1 a week or something like that and were told tough. I think this entire discussion has become crazy. I have no problem with the WWYCD threads. I have a problem that I can't keep a conversation on another topic going because the front page is flooded with them.

I don't come into the champions thread often. Last week I posted a new thread regarding a question for a campaign idea. I went to check on it an hour later and it was already on page 2 with only 13 views. In its place were 14 threads of WWYCD because someone who hadn't answered them decided to go back and get everyone he had missed. The only reason why it managed to stay up is because I dug it out of page 2 and bumped it. If I need to continuiously bump a thread to page 2 for people to see, it, why do I want to even bother with this forum.

I've offered two suggestions and have been told that they wouldn't work. People have asked to try and keep it to 1 a week or something like that and were told tough. I think this entire discussion has become crazy. I have no problem with the WWYCD threads. I have a problem that I can't keep a conversation on another topic going because the front page is flooded with them.

I've had threads bumped down because of other things I had no interest in too. That is why I bump. I generally assume that if no one is talking much about a thread I post, for some reason people are not interested in it or are interested in posting to other things. In the case you mention, someone was interested enough in the WWYCD threads to go look them up. I'm not going to tell that person (or anyone else) they can't do that because I want to talk about something else.

It is clear that nothing I say here is going to be even considered reasonably. A flat out "No" has been given for every single idea and suggestion mentioned byt he people who create the threads.

I roleplay in the Champions Universe setting. If in order to keep a dialog going about the Champions Universe, I have to keep bumping my own thread every eight hours, I'll just take it to the Non Gaming Discussion. :D

It is clear that nothing I say here is going to be even considered reasonably.

If by "considered reasonably", you mean "accepted automatically," then, yeah, you're right. That's not gonna happen, apparently.

You'd like to see things be different on the Forum, which is fine, and you've made some suggestions, which is a good thing - it's always good to offer solutions, rather than just whining that one doesn't like something - but the problem is, the suggestions you have offered would either a) not work (combining all the WWYCD threads, which would turn into a huge mishmash that interfered with meaningful discussion), or B) put limits on what other posters do simply because what they do isn't something that interests you. Thus, people have said "no" to your suggestions for good reasons - after considering them.

If by "considered reasonably", you mean "accepted automatically," then, yeah, you're right. That's not gonna happen, apparently.

You'd like to see things be different on the Forum, which is fine, and you've made some suggestions, which is a good thing - it's always good to offer solutions, rather than just whining that one doesn't like something - but the problem is, the suggestions you have offered would either a) not work (combining all the WWYCD threads, which would turn into a huge mishmash that interfered with meaningful discussion), or B) put limits on what other posters do simply because what they do isn't something that interests you. Thus, people have said "no" to your suggestions for good reasons - after considering them.

Ah. Then the "be considerate when posting another WWYCD thread" and "use moderation in the number of WWYCD threads" suggestions have been rejected, then? Because why is that bad, exactly?

Have you heard of this thing called compromise? The people who have a problem with it are at least TRYING to make suggestions. We are getting nothing but a "tough shit" response.

More than enough people have said that they have a problem with it that it deserves at least some sort of thought power put into find a resolution. Telling me that people aren't going to do a thing is a very far different answer then the one you seem to think people are giving.

I'm not asking for people to immediate accept my ideas, but telling me "No" and leaving it at that sends a clear message that people aren't willing to take the effort to find a reasonable response.

This the Hero Games Community Forum. There has to be a fair solution here somewhere. Telling me to just deal with it, isn't a fair solution.

Ah. Then the "be considerate when posting another WWYCD thread" and "use moderation in the number of WWYCD threads" suggestions have been rejected' date=' then? Because why is that bad, exactly?[/quote']

I think Super Squirrel was talking about the "Limit them to once a week or so" and "Combine them all into one thread" suggestions specifically.

Ah. Then the "be considerate when posting another WWYCD thread" and "use moderation in the number of WWYCD threads" suggestions have been rejected' date=' then? Because why is that bad, exactly?[/quote']

I don't note that those ones have been rejected at all, actually. There've been how many in the last week or so? Sounds like the people who do those threads people listened, but just don't like someone telling them the can only do a specific number/only so often or whatever.

I have suggested the following:

1. Limiting the number of threads creating to once a week or something like that.

2. Try one solid thread.

3. Try a Question Thread and an Answer Thread.

And, as others have noted, those ideas all have significant problems with them. Said problems have been stated in detail. Thus, while they may work for you, they don't work for those making the threads you have a problem with.

It is good that you are offering suggestions, but if I have a sore knee and someone suggests I saw my leg off, I'm probably not gonna take the suggestion. Your suggestions are better than *that* one, at least - by a wide margin, actually - but they don't offer anything at all to meet the interests of the people who like the WWYCD threads. Unless you count "they can still keep posting" - which they can already do now.

Remember, compromise isn't about just one side of an issue getting concessions from the other side. Rather, it's about coming up with something both/all sides can deal with and feel is relatively fair.

put limits on what other posters do simply because what they do isn't something that interests you. Thus' date=' people have said "no" to your suggestions for good reasons - after considering them.[/quote'] You've simplified his request to the point of distortion. It's really quite simple. People ought to be considerate enough of others not to drown them out with over a dozen WWYCD threads operating at the same time. Is that so hard to agree with?

The problem is though that the other side' date=' isn't trying to help. They keep saying no.[/quote']

My suggestion was just go with it. Its already "over" for the most part. I don't think one topic type should be arbitrarily limited. If the "rule" applies to WWYCD it should apply to all. Like only one campaign thread, only one vs thread, only one character thread, etc. This thread bitching the threads has gone on longer than most of the threads themselves. The other "side" wants some strict, hard lockdown rule instead of just "don't flood the board with this topic". Personally, I have two I would like to post and I've been waiting until the current three drop off before putting them up. Seems to work.