PLEASE ! No more 'What would your character do ?' threads

death tribble

The problem with the 'What would your character do ?' threads is that they blossom at an alarming rate and are more like a virus or an infection.

If is was just one or two, fair enough but there are close to 40 at the moment. Too much. Much too much.

This has been highlighted as a problem before and the threads moved to the general roleplaying area. I was not the one to scream 'No more ! enough !' last time but this time, yes. 4 pages of this rubbish ? No, not good. Yes I contributed to some in the past but when they spread like a plague there was just no keeping up with them.

There are what 3 art threads, a couple of threads devoted to Worldmaker's Global Guardians game and then a whole load asking for advice etc.

Do we honestly need 96 WWYCD threads ? No.

If there was one new one a week or a month, fair enough. Unfortunately there is not. And I am feeling psychotic about it.

So Wormhole and others. Cease and desist. Please.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: PLEASE ! No more 'What would your character do ?' threads

Anthem would take the Tribble home as a pet. She wouldn't feed it after midnight or get it wet. Or was that Gremlins that had that problem?

Uncle Slam would dust off and nuke the threads from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

-----

The thing is, people (like me) post 'em when they think of 'em. I'm not going to remember an idea a week later. And a week later 8 people will post their WWYCD threads all at the same time anyway.

And when they were moved to the General Roleplaying board nobody answered them.

Anthem would take the Tribble home as a pet. She wouldn't feed it after midnight or get it wet. Or was that Gremlins that had that problem?

Uncle Slam would dust off and nuke the threads from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

-----

The thing is, people (like me) post 'em when they think of 'em. I'm not going to remember an idea a week later. And a week later 8 people will post their WWYCD threads all at the same time anyway.

And when they were moved to the General Roleplaying board nobody answered them.

I just don't see the point to them in the first place. Who CARES what other people's characters would do? If they were exercises in philosophical discovery, that is one thing... but they seem to just be people's chance to say "My character is a 345 point Energy Blaster who would..."

Who CARES? I don't understand why the reason for them to exist at all. I'm serious... please explain what value they have other than increasing post counts?

Well, I'd first like to say that post count has NEVER EVER been a concern of mine, as evident by the fact that I think I've posted once or twice ever to the threads in the NGD forums designed for such things, and I frankly resent the implication.

Next, if anyone is referencing points it certainly isn't much. Most people use the threads for the same thing that people use RPGs themselves for: To explore what their character would do in a given situation.

If you're like me, you get to roleplay MAYBE twice a month. This month it will be once.

Okay, are they constructive? Only to the people who post to them. Much like political threads in the NGD, which have frustrated me. But I did in fact learn that they are easy enough to not post in. They did however lead me to a post not unlike DT's here, so I can empathize.

And in a show of unity I will not post anymore such threads. I am not here to annoy.

I've replied to some, read others, and ignored many.

I can see some value in them. Some of the scenarios are fun/interesting plot ideas. Seeing how some PC's would deal with the situation can give a GM insight into how their own players may handle them if introduced to a similar situation. Also, seeing someone "in action" may spark an idea for a PC/NPC in someone else.

I see them as having as much value as:

*the big "plot" thread - why would I care if I don't use CU villains? (I do, I can fit plot ideas to other villains in my universe)

*the art threads - who cares what other people's character's/villains look like? (Free art? Are you kidding? :) )

*the character threads - who cares what other people's stats are? (Often interesting to see others' character ideas/how they would write up)

That being said, I don't think we need quite so many of them, and the same people reply to them anyway. As straight hypothetical "WWYCD" threads, I agree "General Roleplaying" might be a better home for them, esp. as it has much lighter traffic. If a GM has a specific scenario they intend to throw their PC's in and want advice on "how might people react to this?" so that they can be better prepared, I think those would be fine here.

Who CARES? I don't understand why the reason for them to exist at all. I'm serious... please explain what value they have other than increasing post counts?

The initial questions I've been noting for possible plots and scenes in my own game. I've also got a fair handle on a number of the PCs that are mentioned frequently and they are now likely to show up as NPCs in my game.

To be honest aside from the really cool discussion about something I care about (which happens maybe once a month at best), I find them the most interesting threads in this area of the forum. I like hearing about other characters, and how they would react. It helps me as a GM to see possible results to things I do, by seeing those reactions.

The problem with the 'What would your character do ?' threads is that they blossom at an alarming rate and are more like a virus or an infection.

If is was just one or two, fair enough but there are close to 40 at the moment. Too much. Much too much.

This has been highlighted as a problem before and the threads moved to the general roleplaying area. I was not the one to scream 'No more ! enough !' last time but this time, yes. 4 pages of this rubbish ? No, not good. Yes I contributed to some in the past but when they spread like a plague there was just no keeping up with them.

There are what 3 art threads, a couple of threads devoted to Worldmaker's Global Guardians game and then a whole load asking for advice etc.

Do we honestly need 96 WWYCD threads ? No.

If there was one new one a week or a month, fair enough. Unfortunately there is not. And I am feeling psychotic about it.

So Wormhole and others. Cease and desist. Please.

And another Amen. I could care less if they were moved elsewhere, but they're dominating the Champions area and drowning out the threads that are actually interesting or worthwhile. Stick them all in one thread or put them somewhere else, but don't keep inundating us here.

In reference to what Rob says when the protest was raised last time they were moved elsewhere. The General Roleplaying area. Again for the same reason. They were drowning out the Champions threads. Granted some of the newer posters were not to know this ie Katherine but some of the old timers were part of the problem last time round. And I don't think they were suffering from Acute Deficit Disorder then or now.

I like them when they present interesting dilemas and solutions people would come up with in their games. They are about the same usefulness as people posting stats or bickering about rules minutia. Very little if you don't care, quite a bit if you are interested.

As a GM, I enjoy seeing how players would react to plot ideas I'm thinking of using, and I find others WWYCD plot ideas interesting. As a player, I enjoy thinking through my characters reactions to the WWYCD adventure seeds. Seeing other players' reactions is also worthwhile. The threads are about as useful as most threads in the Champions section. The only ones I get more out of are the Character Posting threads.

Still, if it's annoying posters I'll avoid posting new ones for a while.

Personally, the only use I find for them is the initial question. I'd prefer to see one thread of WWYCD to pose situations to consider. No need to discuss what your character would do, just take the opportunity to think about it.

Maybe the GMs can incorporate some of the more appropriate ideas into campaign hooks...

Maybe the players will gain a new insight into their character...

Maybe it will give you and your group something gaming-related to chat about while you wait for the one player who's always late...

YMMV

I'm with Supreme Serpent, they do have value (well, as much value as most posts have) particularly in the inspiration area.

As I said on another post, we had this "Too many" problem come up before. Someone complained, and it died down. We have our own 'fads' here if you will, I got a little tired of all the "Iron VS Silver" threads for a bit recently. I know some folks who scream if they see the words "Batman and Captain America: Who would win?" :)

The point is, these trends come and go, then vanish again for a time. If you're tired of one, it usually is a good idea to request to ease up on them for a bit.

Uses to the WWYCD threads:

-Considering how your character(s) would respond to different scenarios

-Insight into other peoples' characters

WWYCD threads are no less valid a use for this forum than posting character writeups or asking for campaign advice.

I just don't see the point to them in the first place. Who CARES what other people's characters would do? If they were exercises in philosophical discovery, that is one thing... but they seem to just be people's chance to say "My character is a 345 point Energy Blaster who would..."

I am sooooo in agreement with you!

I haven't read nor responded to any of these threads either.

What a waste of electronic space.

Mags

Rep to Death Tribble for starting the protest! Yay!

Uses to the WWYCD threads:

-Considering how your character(s) would respond to different scenarios

-Insight into other peoples' characters

WWYCD threads are no less valid a use for this forum than posting character writeups or asking for campaign advice.

What part of far too many of these all at once didn't you get ?

The problem is that this happened in exactly the same way before and history is repeating itself.

Anything in moderation yes. But the sheer number active at the moment is ludicrous.

I'd prefer it if there was one mega-thread instead of dozens of little ones (with the same handful people responding to most of them). I like to check them out now and then, myself, but there's no reason for them to all be different threads.

However, just Monday I was thinking, good god, someone call me when all these damn threads stop. There are simply too many.

If you feel the WWYCD threads have value because you can get plot ideas from them, why not just post the plot idea?

If you feel the WWYCD threads have value because you can see how players in your game might react to a situation, why not just start a discussion on player reactions?

The WWYCD threads are there just to let people talk about themselves. While that's an admirable activity, this board is for people to talk about Champions. I'm sure you and your character are keen and all, but the focus here should be on Champions, not on you*.

* "you" not used in reference to any particular person here

What we need is the ability to put entire threads on ignore. That would ease the load on the main list for everyone.

Too bad we don't have that option.

Mags

PS: Except for Storn, who is a professional running a business, most of us artists have been keeping our outlet down to 2 threads (Superheroes & Supervillains) in the Champions area. I've wondered many times why some people start up a new art threads as they always end up lost in obscurity... the pics should be all kept in one thread, IMO.

The Minis thread is a whole other deal...

I read the WWYCD? threads, and I find them fairly interesting, but I have to agree that there are just way too many of them. Last week we were on #72, and now they are almost at #100. That's crazy! And with so many exploding, the general quality has gone down. Some are just very minor variations on previous ones (the spate of time-travel ones for example), others are so narrowly defined that they don't work for many characters, etc.

Maybe we could have a vote and pick one person to post one WWYCD? a week, and then everyone who has ideas for a WWYCD? thread could send their ideas to that person, and every week they could post the one they think is best. That way we don't lose the concept of the thread, and those of us who enjoy reading it will still get to see it, but it won't drown out all other conversation...? I dunno, it's worth thinking about.