PLEASE ! No more 'What would your character do ?' threads

death tribble

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: PLEASE ! No more 'What would your character do ?' threads

Maybe because the designers don't see where the problem is?? I mean' date=' really, how hard is it to just scroll down??[/quote']

Your point though in the minority is valid. And over a page or so perhaps justified. But over 4 pages on a 20 thread page ? It becomes something which makes people angry at others lack of respect and lack of self control.

If you like them consider that you can get too much of a good thing. There is no moderation in it.

The quality point is exactly what happened before. Sadly I think a certain poster won't listen and won't be happy until they have done No. 100.

As straight hypothetical "WWYCD" threads' date=' I agree "General Roleplaying" might be a better home for them, esp. as it has much lighter traffic. [/quote']Agreed. It's not uncommon to have threads in "Champions" that don't really belong there. While I applaud Ben and everybody else for the way this board is run, this is one of the drawbacks of having such a light hand. It would perhaps help things if threads were moved to the forum they belong in (WWYCD to General Role-Playing, discussion of comics to NGD, etc.)

I imagine the reason they've returned here is that when they were moved to General Roleplaying last time nobody followed. I know I went in and posted replies to the first couple.

That should maybe be indicative that if they're out of sight then they're out of mind, and therefore not needed. But hey, they aren't exactly flames or anything, so what are you gonna do? Like everything else here, they'll come and go.

Other folks disagree it seems but IMO seeing as the WWYCD questions are regarding your Champions Characters, characters who are IN the Super Hero Genre, often in situations only a super hero would find himself in, I don't see them as fitting 'general roleplaying'. We're here to talk about Champions. Okay, how are we not? If it's because we're talking about our own characters and not official ones then a LOT of threads would vanish by that logic Good bye Art Threads, goodbye 'character for review' threads. I think if you try to squeeze too tightly over what qualifies to be in this forum you'll find yourself trapped between either insituting double standards or crushing a lot of wonderful stuff out of here.

Now, that said, I agree currently there are too many WWYCD threads going on. It is probably best not to make any new ones for awhile, and if new ones come up, to not respond. You can always search for them in a week if need be.

YMMV

Guest WhammeWhamme

WWYCD is a little overexposed.

However, they are the kind of thing I come to the boards _for_. Short, interesting snippets.

If they're this common, it's probably because people like them. That sort of implies that they belong on the boards (period)... and it's WWY Champions CD, so it belogns here.

That said, people have asked politely for them to stop. If that's not enough to stop _lots_ of people posting on them (and that IS what happens; it's not just a few people who keep these going), then... well... it's their board too. (the board is primarily owned by HG, naturally... but it's purpose is for the use of the HG customers.)

While I agree that there are a few too many recently, I like the WWYCD threads in general. I had a character that I only got to play for a few sessions a while back, and haven't been able to get into a superhero game since. When I find a situtation where my charcter could have a meaningful response, it gives me a chance to "play" the unfortunate Mr. Trent a little bit.

Zeropoint

While there may have been a few too many lately, I am loathe to suggest to other posters what they should post about and don't particularly like it when people do it to me. I am quite capable of scrolling through multiple pages if needed. The WWYCD posts are definitely on topic and sometimes I find them interesting although I would prefer them to be tittled better by putting a summary of the question to be asked in the thread title -- that way you can quickly tell whether they are of interest and if you have already looked at it and want to check in with it again.

Rod

I love the WWYCD threads but I agree there have been too many posted. My personal guideline is I don't post a new thread unless when I check the Champions board none are left on the first page. I think the real problem (if you want to call it that) is that once a person starts answering WWYCD threads they seek out older ones to answer as well so there can be a sudden glut caused by a single person answering all the old threads they can find. The flip side though is that WWYCD threads are not lengthy discussions and while people may read them repeatedly (when new posts are made) few people post more than once so they are moved off the front page relatively quickly by more traditonal "heated discussions."

And the other problem we have had is that newer posters have blitzed them on as well. They were not aware of the prior problem which happened in January and February of this year.

You (Farik) were, as along with Wormhole you started a great deal of them. As well as the Alternate Character threads which as I recall also caused some people angst at the time. Other people did post them but they also started other threads. The difference this time is that you are prepared to talk about it and offer some sort of compromise or at least discuss it, and Wormhole is not.

The last WWYCD thread was posted sept 3rd It's now sept 5th if someone has a WWYCD questions they'd like to ask I think it would be fair to introduce a new one afterall not only have all the WWYCD threads migrated from the first page but even this thread has as well.

The last WWYCD thread was posted sept 3rd It's now sept 5th if someone has a WWYCD questions they'd like to ask I think it would be fair to introduce a new one afterall not only have all the WWYCD threads migrated from the first page but even this thread has as well.

Let's make it a full week, and since it's going to be #100, it had better be one that's really worthwhile to post.

SKJAM!

Posters who are still posting those threads are not bad in any way, just for disagreeing with the opinions of you all. Until a moderator enforces this you cannot expect to stinkeye people into doing what you want, even if it is the voice of many that want the particular thing. I might later today post one of these threads if I come up with a good idea, and it's just as legitimate as any other thread on this board. There is nothing wrong, and I would not be being a "bad poster" or malignant member of the community to do so. Just because multiple people are against doesnt mean that can be the majority rule. Until there is an official sanction I say that bullying people who put these on on this thread, which is far more purpose-less than any of those consistitutes trolling.

Posters who are still posting those threads are not bad in any way' date=' just for disagreeing with the opinions of you all. Until a moderator enforces this you cannot expect to stinkeye people into doing what you want, even if it is the voice of many that want the particular thing. I might later today post one of these threads if I come up with a good idea, and it's just as legitimate as any other thread on this board. There is nothing wrong, and I would not be being a "bad poster" or malignant member of the community to do so. Just because multiple people are against doesnt mean that can be the majority rule. Until there is an official sanction I say that bullying people who put these on on this thread, which is far more purpose-less than any of those consistitutes trolling.[/quote']

He's Right.

On the opposite side aren't the people posting the multiple versions of these bullying the rest of us ?

They are individual threads. They are not part of a massed thread like the superhero art thread or the Hero a Day thread.

It is also true that the same people post the WWYCD thread. And no others.

Why should we tolerate this ?

I posted an objection and then two of these threads were started. If that is not provocation or contemptuous dismissal what is ?

I don't mind people voicing an opposing view but I refuse to back down when some people will not bother even trying to compromise or justify their behaviour.

I'm usually all for letting folks do what they want as long as its peaceful, but I do think it's more sensible to contain it to one thread. Cleans things up and all, less clogging of the forum like the numerous 'game' threads in the non-gaming forum.

On the opposite side aren't the people posting the multiple versions of these bullying the rest of us ?

They are individual threads. They are not part of a massed thread like the superhero art thread or the Hero a Day thread.

It is also true that the same people post the WWYCD thread. And no others.

Why should we tolerate this ?

Making them a massed thread would be highly confusing to read, IMO. Its not like art. It would several different "questions" in one thread not just posting pictures or even semi organized like the character posting game.

Making new ones even though you posted this isn't a "dismissal" or maybe it is. You asked, politely "No more threads of this type." Either those people hadn't viewed this thread, or they thought about it and said "No, I have another I'd like to post." Why do they have to justify their behavior to you because they disagree with your opinion?

The "same" people post in all the different threads. I don't post in art thread because I don't draw. I don't think they should be eliminated. I don't post in comic book arguments because I have nothing to contribute. I don't post in Global Gaurdians threads because I don't know enough about the setting, etc etc. Just because I am not interested in something I'm not going to tell someone else they can't talk about these things on a semi public forum and I'd like to accorded the same right. I've started one or two of these threads, a few other have started one. How many do you to start be called one of the "only" people who start or post to these threads?

Fair point, Nexus on the compiling option. I used the art, Hero a day and GGU threads as examples of what could be broken down in the same way as the WWYCD threads.

If you do a search on the WWYCD threads you can see who posts them as starters the most. I am implicitly criticising one poster, yes. For causing the original problem earlier in the year and then doing it again now.

To be labelled as a persistant offender you would have to be posting that type and nothing else. And that is what said person was doing. They read the plea and then ignored it because when I called them on it that's exactly what they said.

If you are asking for help, sharing info etc, that is what I see the entire board as. But to post the same thing day in, day out so that it clogs up a forum really makes some of us very angry. Particularly when it has happened before. And thus is avoidable. Now I did point out that newer members of the boards would not know of this. Others do. If we keep silence we basically accept the status quo and sanction what is being done. I am prepared to stand up and say, 'This is a problem. This is why it's a problem. Let's deal with it.' Reporting the threads gets them closed down as we have just seen with the Game Gone Awry thread. That is not the intention. Giving it a rest, allowing modearation gives people time to calm down and relax. Posting these threads is making more people annoyed than happy particularly when there are a large volume present at the same time.

I freely admit that quite a few people have given me positive rep for bringing this out in the open and nobody has given me negative rep for it. I'm grateful for the former but do expect the latter at some stage particularly as several people voted the thread rating down after someone gave it an initial high rating. I hold myself accountable for bringing the subject up and welcome the opportunity for people to debate the point both for and against.