PLEASE ! No more 'What would your character do ?' threads

death tribble

Re: PLEASE ! No more 'What would your character do ?' threads

I freely admit that quite a few people have given me positive rep for bringing this out in the open and nobody has given me negative rep for it. I'm grateful for the former but do expect the latter at some stage particularly as several people voted the thread rating down after someone gave it an initial high rating. I hold myself accountable for bringing the subject up and welcome the opportunity for people to debate the point both for and against.

I'm not a big fan of "censorship", although speaking for myself, I skip over the WWYCD threads. I'm not certain they belong in this forum rather than general RP, but they're always Supers focused, so either one seems equally applicable.

At the same time, while I don't see a compelling argument to censure WWYCD threads, it wouldn't seem appropriate to criticize you, or anyone else, for voicing your dislike of those threads - also a "censorship" issue. Maybe someone (Ben?) can set a rule as to where these things are supposed to get posted? If it's really a big deal (and given there are almost 100 threads...) maybe we could have a board specially devoted to WWYCD?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why one thread can't be used for all of the questions. After a couple of pages, ask the next one. If everyone quotes the original question when they answer, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out what the current question is.

I have a little sympathy for the argument that you cannot amalgamate the threads. This is based on my own Compilation Thread in the NGD forum. Getting people to add stuff now can be a real pain. There are a few diehard contributors but keeping it fresh and relevant when there are over 300 posts can be difficult. People don't seem to want to wade through the whole lot.

Having said that it is only one thread.

On the opposite side aren't the people posting the multiple versions of these bullying the rest of us ?

They are individual threads. They are not part of a massed thread like the superhero art thread or the Hero a Day thread.

It is also true that the same people post the WWYCD thread. And no others.

Why should we tolerate this ?

I posted an objection and then two of these threads were started. If that is not provocation or contemptuous dismissal what is ?

I don't mind people voicing an opposing view but I refuse to back down when some people will not bother even trying to compromise or justify their behaviour.

Its "bullying" for their to be threads you don't have to read??

:rolleyes:

I'm not a big fan of "censorship", although speaking for myself, I skip over the WWYCD threads. I'm not certain they belong in this forum rather than general RP, but they're always Supers focused, so either one seems equally applicable.

At the same time, while I don't see a compelling argument to censure WWYCD threads, it wouldn't seem appropriate to criticize you, or anyone else, for voicing your dislike of those threads - also a "censorship" issue. Maybe someone (Ben?) can set a rule as to where these things are supposed to get posted? If it's really a big deal (and given there are almost 100 threads...) maybe we could have a board specially devoted to WWYCD?

Criticism != censorship. Death tribble has every right to say he doesn't like WWYCD threads, just as *I* have every right to say I *do* like them, and post more.

What he *doesn't* have the right to do is try and force people to not post any anymore. *THAT* is censorship.

Its "bullying" for their to be threads you don't have to read??

:rolleyes:

This sort of sarcasm isn't going to make me sympathetic to your viewpoint.

On this or any other issue. If you have a point, make it. And leave out the emoticons.

Thankfully the problem has tailed off for the most part.

The "point" is that *nobody is forcing you to read the threads.*

A greater point, though, is the sheer amount of condescension you are heaping on everyone who disagrees with you.

The "point" is that the Champions board is no longer worth coming to because any thread you would be interested in has been pushed down to the second or third page from all of the WWYCD threads and not getting any attention.

Tried to give you some positive rep, but it won't let me, so let me just say you articulated what I do not feel I could have quite well.

I do think that it would be nice to slow down to once a week or so, but I don't think anyone should enforce it...

The "point" is that the Champions board is no longer worth coming to because any thread you would be interested in has been pushed down to the second or third page from all of the WWYCD threads and not getting any attention.

Ever noticed a little something called "new post markers"??

Use em, they are nice. For one thing, they let you easily tell whether there are new posts even going into the second or third page. . .

Tried to give you some positive rep, but it won't let me, so let me just say you articulated what I do not feel I could have quite well.

I do think that it would be nice to slow down to once a week or so, but I don't think anyone should enforce it...

I gave him +rep for you.

[Once again the +rep bandit strikes! Ole!]

Ever noticed a little something called "new post markers"??

Use em, they are nice. For one thing, they let you easily tell whether there are new posts even going into the second or third page. . .

You can also get that from logging off and onto the site where it shows you all the new posts.

But why on earth should the Champions forum be dominated by the WWYCD threads ? I suggested moderation and you seem to be implying that this won't work or that you won't even try it. If not why not ?

As to censorship or self control. Is it so bad ? Look at the thread that did get shut down Games Gone Awry. Self censorship and control could have stopped that situation from escalating the way that it did.

I will state the point again. I am not out to shut them down altogether forever and ever. It is possible by complaining to Ben to do that. That's not the object.

Getting everyone to contribute is. And having loads of the WWYCD threads is a way of stopping the community from contributing. Most of us are lazy. We don't like digging up a topic past the 1st or 2nd page. We like ease, we like convenience. At the moment you seem to be saying it's your way or the highway. Surely what you are doing is exactly what you have accused me of, being condescing to anyone who disagrees with you.

Agent X' date=' I gave you rep for giving rep for someone who couldn't give rep.[/quote'] It's a Rep Free-For-All!

(Makes me think of that wonderful movie where a boy does nice things so that we could cry when he was murdered by another kid at school. Ah yes, Pay it Forward. I would really appreciate it if they paid me my money back for that trite ending.)

You can also get that from logging off and onto the site where it shows you all the new posts.

But why on earth should the Champions forum be dominated by the WWYCD threads ? I suggested moderation and you seem to be implying that this won't work or that you won't even try it. If not why not ?

As to censorship or self control. Is it so bad ? Look at the thread that did get shut down Games Gone Awry. Self censorship and control could have stopped that situation from escalating the way that it did.

I will state the point again. I am not out to shut them down altogether forever and ever. It is possible by complaining to Ben to do that. That's not the object.

Getting everyone to contribute is. And having loads of the WWYCD threads is a way of stopping the community from contributing. Most of us are lazy. We don't like digging up a topic past the 1st or 2nd page. We like ease, we like convenience. At the moment you seem to be saying it's your way or the highway. Surely what you are doing is exactly what you have accused me of, being condescing to anyone who disagrees with you.

Yep, I think it's pretty tacky when asked to show some consideration for others that the WWCD fellows seem to have decided that it's an "internet civil rights" issue or something.

I guess I'm fairly alone in the general opinion that I would rather see more threads than less. Particularly, if the thread titles were carefully chosen to reflect their contents. For example, as I mentioned earler, I think WWYCD threads should give a summary of the question in the title.

I would find it much easier to scan over two or three pages of well-defined thread titles and pick out the ones I might want to read rather than a page of vaguely titled and almagamated threads whose titltes give me no idea at all whether or not I might want to read the thread. Often, given the choice between reading or not reading a poorly titled thread, I will choose not to read it.

Rod

I guess I'm fairly alone in the general opinion that I would rather see more threads than less. Particularly, if the thread titles were carefully chosen to reflect their contents. For example, as I mentioned earler, I think WWYCD threads should give a summary of the question in the title.

I would find it much easier to scan over two or three pages of well-defined thread titles and pick out the ones I might want to read rather than a page of vaguely titled and almagamated threads whose titltes give me no idea at all whether or not I might want to read the thread. Often, given the choice between reading or not reading a poorly titled thread, I will choose not to read it.

Rod

I agree that I'd rather see more threads with clear descriptions. I'm used to usenet; I don't mind skiping threads that don't interest me to get to those that do.

And wormhole held off for a week before posting a new one. Hasn't this problem corrected itself?

In light of Metaphysician posting no 100 I would say no.

And Wormhole posted two directly after the request for moderation so again I would say no. That was September 1st. If we see no more new ones from him until Thursday then maybe the problem will be resolved. It depends on how many he then chooses to put up and with what frequency.

The same holds true for others. How many they put up as well. Those against the WWYCD threads are offering compromises. The ball is in the court of those who want to post them.

Would either of you like a WWYCD Question thread and a WWYCD Answer thread so that you can check the latest question with a single click' date=' and only answer if you feel like it?[/quote']

The answer thread would also be a pain to read because even if the answerers specifically noted which question they were answering, you'd have to wade through the answers to questions you didn't care about to get to the answers you did care about. Personally, I find it much easier to wade through thread titles than to wade through threads themselves.

Criticism != censorship. Death tribble has every right to say he doesn't like WWYCD threads, just as *I* have every right to say I *do* like them, and post more.

What he *doesn't* have the right to do is try and force people to not post any anymore. *THAT* is censorship.

That's my point - sorry if it was unclkear and thanks for stating it so succinctly.