Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

The roads were fine this morning (@ 0530 when I started driving on them)

It was the retarded drivers who sucked.

Is it just me, or do they all stay in hiding until the day after Thanksgiving, then hit the road in droves? It seems like every Christmas shopping season, I see more boneheaded, idiotic, WRONG driving than I see the ENTIRE rest of the year.

Is it just me' date=' or do they all stay in hiding until the day after Thanksgiving, then hit the road in droves? It seems like every Christmas shopping season, I see more boneheaded, idiotic, WRONG driving than I see the ENTIRE rest of the year.[/quote']

Well, part of it is that you have people that don't drive much getting on the roads all at the same time to go shopping. But most places I've lived the worst driving seems to be centered around precipitation. Whether it is adversely affecting the road conditions or not, and generally WAY out of proportion to any effect that it is having.

Well' date=' ONE of them would have to be face-down, I suppose . . . Too much risk of it being the lemon meringue or chocolate cream, perhaps? Five percent for each, right?[/quote']

Just make sure it's the upside down cake.

Two of the most popular musicals of all time prominently feature Nazis.

If I knew much about musicals, I'd probably know what they were, too.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if one of them was "The Producers" but was that a musical?

If I knew much about musicals, I'd probably know what they were, too.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if one of them was "The Producers" but was that a musical?

The Producers was indeed a musical in recent years, and that is one of them. I guarantee you've heard of the other one, too, though unless you've seen it the Nazi connection may not be obvious.

Musings on Random Muses

I keep praying to Thalia and repeating the same plaint: This is Not Funny.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests lodging a complaint with Archangel Michael instead. He has both jurisdiction and a stake in the matter.

Sound of Music?

Hee hee. While watching that, when the Nazi officer commands the Austrian captain to report to Bremerhaven, there's nothing quite like sitting in a US Army theatre in that town in RL.

Well' date=' part of it is that you have people that don't drive much getting on the roads all at the same time to go shopping. But most places I've lived the worst driving seems to be centered around precipitation. Whether it is adversely affecting the road conditions or not, and generally WAY out of proportion to any effect that it is having.[/quote']

When I stay home during a workday and go out later in the day I always remark to myself about the difference between commuters and non-commuters. Also I think the during the holiday season the volume on the roads increase around shopping districts. And finally I think most people are not morons, but just marginal drivers or taking marginal care of the cars. In ideal driving conditions this is not a proble, but the addition of bad conditions (rain, sleet, snow) mean that suddenly just being marginal is not good enough. I take pretty good care of my car, but even I have been surprised twice when I started hydroplaning and upon examining my tires I found them too bald.

When I stay home during a workday and go out later in the day I always remark to myself about the difference between commuters and non-commuters. Also I think the during the holiday season the volume on the roads increase around shopping districts. And finally I think most people are not morons' date=' but just marginal drivers or taking marginal care of the cars. In ideal driving conditions this is not a proble, but the addition of bad conditions (rain, sleet, snow) mean that suddenly just being marginal is not good enough. I take pretty good care of my car, but even I have been surprised twice when I started hydroplaning and upon examining my tires I found them too bald.[/quote']

Understood, but that doesn't explain everything. For instance, Denver is a fairly dry place. Something that I've seen on a number of occasions has been "rain" that evaporates either just as or shortly before it hits the ground. So the ground isn't getting wet, but you get spots on your windshield briefly. Under those conditions I would STILL see people freaking out in their cars.