Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

I was just charged by a huge spider! :angst:

And then when I stomped on it (mind you, I'm wearing Doc Martens), it didn't die! It just kept running at me! I had to step down with most of my weight and grind it into the carpet!

Oh, lord, the nightmares I'll have about that thing! :weep:

Lolth hopes you enjoyed her present.

*starts stockpiling spider dreams for alice's enjoyment*

Don't you DARE! :tsk:

D&D Nursery Rymes: Itsy, bitsy drider crawled up the water spout...

:D

Alice, did you freak a bit in The Return of the King when they enountered Shelob? :)

No, actually. I knew it was coming, and spiders so big they could chomp you down in one bite freak me out less than the ones the size of my thumb. You can see 'em coming. The friggin-yuge spiders, on the other hand, inspire me to think that every little nerve twitch is another of them, come to avenge his comrade.

Nooo! Make them stoooooop! :weep:

(Whenever there's a spider inside at my work, it's always in MY office.)

Sounds like a cane (wolf) spider. They charge their food to catch it, but they have some really poor depth perception. More than once I've been 'attacked', the spider will charge out of its hiding place and then stop six feet away, thinking, "Wait, I shoulda caught it by now... how big is that thing?" Which is about when it gets stomped into the carpet.

My dad was terribly afraid of spiders; he always called my mother to take care of them. On the other hand, his mother would pick spiders up and carry them outside rather than kill them.

Unfortunately, I have both characteristics.:doi:

In theory, spiders are great. They kill all the nastier bugs, and keep the fly-related disease rate down. So I've compromised. They stay outdoors, and I leave them alone. Once they're in MY space, SQUISH!

Sounds like a cane (wolf) spider. They charge their food to catch it' date=' but they have some really poor depth perception. More than once I've been 'attacked', the spider will charge out of its hiding place and then stop six feet away, thinking, "Wait, I shoulda caught it by now... how big [i']is[/i] that thing?" Which is about when it gets stomped into the carpet.

Are there wolf spiders in the mountains of North Carolina? I was figuring it was just a well-fed, run-of-the-mill Hairy Bugger.

Hey, thanks Old Man. I got charged by a spider Saturday morning around 5am. I put it outside, but I do that with all of them. I tend to put them in jars and the like for transport though.

I almost picked up a spider that was being threatened by a cat in one of our buildings (another early morning gig) and as I'm reaching for it I wake up enough to note "Hey, that's a black widow" I dropped her off somewhere in Arizona. Figured it would take her a long time to track me down again.

I've grown fond of almost all spiders, a strange thing to contemplate considering I used to be hideously afraid of the wee beasties.

But Rose, Alita, and Artemis pretty well got that outta my system.

Right now there's a little wee white ambush predator living on my shop altar, hunting out of the top of my candle lantern, who occasionally crawls up on my Goddess statue's forehead and sits there like a crown.

I am Blessed by Lolth. :nya:

Paraphrasing Old Man: Alice, listen! And understand! That wolf spider is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are consumed by fear.

Lemming' date=' listen! And understand! That black widow is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.[/quote']

These words he speaks are true!

We're all humanary stew,

If we don't pledge allegiance to

The Black Widow!