Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Well, they do love rubber bands. I don't let them have them though because they may swallow them. I was giving them the plastic tabs from milk bottles saved up by my Mom and had to stop because Stripes ate them and got sick. I had to take her to the Emergency Vet and spend well over $100. :(

Side A of HST's Science Data Formatter has failed. This happened Saturday. There is a side B, but transitioning over to it is about a 2-week process. The B-side has not been turned on since ground tests, at least 17 years ago. All science work with HST is suspended at this time.

HST Service Mission 4, which was to have flown on October 14, is suspended while they see if the spacecraft will resume regular operations with the redundant data formatter B-side.

Hubble Status Report #6

The Hubble Space Telescope Science Instrument Control and Data Handling system was reactivated on Thursday, October 23. This should enable Wide Field Planetary Camera-2 science observations to resume on Saturday, October 25. The Advanced Camera for Surveys Solar Blind Channel science observations should resume later next week.

They seem to be cautiously turning stuff back on, one at a time. Sounds like we won't know until next week if normal operations can be resumed. (A failure could rule that out almost immediately, I think.)

EDIT: News releases have been coming out at http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/servicing/SM4/news/index.html

I use mine to give my new cat a real good workout. But I think she gets more satisfaction from chasing and "catching" a thrown crumpled up piece of paper.

One recommendation is when you're done with the pointer is to end the pointer on a toy so that the cat can actually catch something at the end of the play time.

Sounds like Risu. I have to watch her when I'm mending' date=' lest she eat my thread and needle. [/quote']

Our cat once ate one of BunnySue's sewing needles. Two or three days later, we found it in her stool. No blood, no pain, no injuries, no nothing -- it just went in one end and came out the other.

We figure she used one of her 9 lives. :eek:

Saturday morning: I'm awakened by a very early phone call I was not expecting. It's my supervisor. In my half groggy state I think "Am I supposed to be there? I thought it was Saturday...oh no, what if it's Friday??" No, it was very different. There was a fire in the library. It started about 4:30 am and caused no small amount of damage. Who knows where we go from here? it sounds like it could be primarily smoke damage, meaning it's just a cleaning operation more than anything else. Still, this isn't a scenario I ever expected.

Now I get a call this morning. They thought at first that this might take a week or so to clean up. then it turned into weeks. Now...they're saying months. Really makes me wonder what the hell happened exactly, especially since no actual fire reached the first floor and it sounds like it is almost exclusively smoke damage. The computer servers are in the basement too, but they're still working. An FBI agent will be coming in to investigate.

I'll be working at another branch in the meantime. The fact that the meantime=months is really a kick in the gut. The best part about my job was the people, and now we're being distributed throughout the system.

Do not underestimate smoke damage. The vast majority of the damage to Josh's and my apartment building was smoke damage. The building was condemned, and, when we finally got in to salvage what we could, the stench was AWFUL. Wood-burning fires do NOTHING to prepare you for how awful "just smoke" can smell.

And it seeps into EVERYTHING.

:eek:

Must have! Yikes.

Of course, there was one time when Herc ate my hair, and I had to convince a near-hysterical roommate that my hair hadn't the tensile strength to tear up his insides. She was about to go in after it.

Well, it can cause problems, but usually they have to get a large quantity of it. Similar to why we don't want them eating string.

The worst that usually happens, you get poop on a rope being dragged around.

There are no words to adequately describe my disdain for the new Burger King Shroom and Swiss ads. :mad:

BK has cemented itself in my mind as the worst of the big fast food chains. :thumbdown

I haven't seen these ads yet. What's wrong with them?

And which would you pick as the best of the fast food chains?

It would be a bit early (though still easily full term)' date=' but part of me hopes that Keri goes into labor tomorrow night and that the sprog is born during the overlap time from the transition between daylight savings and standard time. :D[/quote']

Too bad there's no way to combine the time change with Leap Day! ;)