Origin suggestions needed ASAP

Tech

I've created a supergirl-type character for a superteam. I like the origin where the world she' from has blown up, essentially because the past is completely severed - it can't be gone back to short of time-travel. Still, a different origin would be nice. The thing is: I need her origin by this Friday! Could everyone throw origins, origin plot ideas or simply suggestions. Help O Herodom of Hero Games!

Re: Origin suggestions needed ASAP

She's the daughter of a God!

She's the daughter of Grod!

She gets her power from the Wizard Shazam!

She gets her power from dating Bam-Bam!

She gets her power from listening to Duran-Duran!

She's strong to the finish 'cause she eats her spinach!

She's strong to the finish because she is Finnish!

She's a clone!

She's a robot!

She's a cyborg!

She's a Kung-Fu Mistress!

She's a comic-book heroine come to life through the power of a little girl!

She's a comic-book heroine come to life through the power of a sad, lonely middle-aged man!

She is the Eggwoman! She is the Walrus!

She is SHE!

She is the acorn from which grows the mighty oak!

She is an ancient Egyptian princess reborn in the modern world to fight a terrible evil!

She fell into a huge vat of steroids and emerged with super powers and a compulsion to smoke cigars, date Democrats, and make action films.

She could be an alien scout, sent here millennia ago by her people, frozen on a starship which crashed and never deactivated her cryo-tube. For thousands of years she's slept in her capsule, lost in remote [siberia, Sahara, Africa, etc.]. Then someone stumbled across her cryo-capsule and woke her up. Now she's discovered that her people were destroyed by some cataclysm while she slept, and she's stuck here forever.

or She ate some readioactive cheese.

On her world, everything's run by the super (fill in the blank) and humans are the equivalent of monkeys.

She's a space monkey shot up into space in her world's early space program (and never recovered, of course). Eventually making its way here. Meanwhile, "back home" those wacky superior beings but analogs for our own world never survived the cold war.

Even if you do make it back to that planet (via time travel), you're looking at the 1960's which isn't too useful. But the people there are super rough.

I've created a supergirl-type character for a superteam. I like the origin where the world she' from has blown up' date=' essentially because the past is completely severed - it can't be gone back to short of time-travel. Still, a different origin would be nice. The thing is: I need her origin by this Friday! Could everyone throw origins, origin plot ideas or simply suggestions. Help O Herodom of Hero Games![/quote']

Variations on a theme...

The character was a scientist or near at least near a scientific experiment on her world that went horribly horribly wrong, because she was "in the eye of the quantum storm" or whatever, she was thrust forward in time and space even as her world crumbled apart around her. She could either be just a lucky survivor, or responsible for the deaths of billions.

She was an earth astronaut/cosmonaut, or astronomer who was either on a spacewalk, or focusing some device on the sector of space that was only now carrying signs of its destruction to earth... she is overwhelmed by energies as well, it seems, as ghosts from that planet. She has memories that are not hers to go with her immense powers. She is possessed, for all intents and purposes, by billions. (*Credit where credit is due, saw something like this in Galactic Champions)

Her planet's population were devoutly, zelously religious and commited what appeared to the rest of the universe as a mass suicide attempt to 'ascend'. In a weird 'reverse scape goat' situation, she was chosen as child as the one to be spared and sent to a more primitive planet (Earth) as child to bestow her purity upon them.

She is not as alone as she thinks. Her planet sent out several pods in droves, but her flight was:

1. Deflected- She wasn't meant to land on earth.

2. The only one that survived (Asteroid belts etc are a b*tch)

3. The only one that escaped capture and enslavement by 'an evil alien race bent on cosmic domination'.

4. Sent to the USA, others were sent to other parts of the globe.

She was a drunk teenage driver captured by a living alien ship and conditioned to serve as the perfet mate for a deep cover agent of the ship's builder-race currently hiding on Earth. Her conditioning included false memories of her life on the "Homeworld." In order to increase the deep cover agent's psychological hold on her, she was given memories of "her world" dying. Now returned to Earth, she missed her meeting with her future "husband." When they do meet during the course of the campaign, what will she do?

She's a successful super soldier experiment.

She's a cosmic being!

She's the result of a nuclear accident gone bad; she's the only one to survive.

She *thinks* she's the only one who survived; her nemesis did as well.

Sure, there are earth, water, fire, and air elementals, but she's a space/cosmic elemental!

She's part divine (Choose myth, such as Greek, Egyptian, Norse, etc.).

She was created by Telios.

She's from another dimension and can't get back.

Her dimension is one that Istvatha V'han (bless you) has taken over and Istvatha destroyed her home planet.

Any destroyed planet idea, except it was merely razed instead of 'planet go boom.'

She's from Mars. She was found deep underground in a stasis chamber and revived.

She's a clone from Mars. :mars:

She's a synthoid from Mars. :mars:

She's a woman from Mars??? :mars:

Hope these help. Please let us know your final decision by Saturday. :venus:

Thanks to all!

I had a lot of laughs reading through these. I poured over a lot of these and before I let you know what I created (by picking a little here & there and combining my own thoughts), first some comments:

Oddhat: I've always liked Bam-Bam but he married Pebbles.

Hermit: Loved the various ideas.

Kirby: I got the joke right away. Still laughs at the 'She's a woman from Mars???'

NecroBob: Bitten by a radioactive fence. Tempting, I must say but nah. Still, could be used for a villain. :sneaky:

Okay, on to the origin...

She comes from a world not too different from Earth. While she was young, she was found to have one of that world's rarest & incurable illnesses. She was put in stasis in a medical container and, as was the practice, was to be shipped to the orbiting station until the illness could be cured. When she awoke again, she was on Earth. She has no idea of how she go there. There is no trace of the illness she had and has superabilities not shown on her planet.

I think I've left enough plot devices in her origin, don't you? So, your opinions?

Re: Thanks to all!

Okay, on to the origin...

She comes from a world not too different from Earth. While she was young, she was found to have one of that world's rarest & incurable illnesses. She was put in stasis in a medical container and, as was the practice, was to be shipped to the orbiting station until the illness could be cured. When she awoke again, she was on Earth. She has no idea of how she go there. There is no trace of the illness she had and has superabilities not shown on her planet.

I think I've left enough plot devices in her origin, don't you? So, your opinions?

If I were the GM, I'd ask for some more personality hooks in this origin. OK, tragic little girl wakes up with powers on Earth. What is her actual personality? How did her origin contribute to or reflect that? Who took her in and why, and how did this change her? Why is she a heroine?

Just some thoughts.

When she awoke again, she was on Earth. She has no idea of how she go there.

Very interesting. But on this part, when she woke up on Earth, was it on her own, or was it in a science lab? And was she in her stasis chamber, or removed already?

Not that I'm thinking this has to be well developed, but if you added a bit more here, it could give the GM some more to play with.

Ooh, just thought of this: You could give her a 15 point 'Unfamiliarity with Earth' disad; unless she is somehow aware of Earth customs. In which case, you tease the GM with a method on finding out "how'd she know that?"

Oh, does she look human?

How did her origin contribute to or reflect that?

Huh? :confused:

Who took her in and why' date=' and how did this change her?[/quote']

I think this is one of those mysterys where the player gives pretty much full range on what works best for the GM.

I had a player write me up a 'recent' background on his PC. This background was what the character remembered in the past year. Before that, all is a blank. Then he gave me four completely different backgrounds (about two sentences each) and asked me to choose one for her true background and introduce it into the game later on. I actually chose two and modified them a tiny bit to what he wasn't expecting: his mentalist PC was from the future and was the daughter of Mentalla.

I think Tech giving a near blank canvass for the GM can work well. It doesn't have to be developed any time soon, the GM gets to toy with it and tie it in to his game how he wants, instead of working around it.

Very interesting. But on this part, when she woke up on Earth, was it on her own, or was it in a science lab? And was she in her stasis chamber, or removed already?

Not that I'm thinking this has to be well developed, but if you added a bit more here, it could give the GM some more to play with.

Ooh, just thought of this: You could give her a 15 point 'Unfamiliarity with Earth' disad; unless she is somehow aware of Earth customs. In which case, you tease the GM with a method on finding out "how'd she know that?"

Oh, does she look human?

First, I apologize for any typos - I'm really sore from a pulled muscle.

I guess I inferred some things but I know what I wanted to say:

... when she woke up from the medical tube and opened it herself, she realized she was no longer on her home planet but on a different planet, called Earth.

She wakes up, probably in a field/forest/etc., away from the obvious view of human population and not in a lab. Her origin gets dictated that she later gets found by a couple and gets raised by them. Details can be filled in as I play the character. I've done the Unfamiliar withe Earth before so I purposely had her raised by earth people to avoid that. Now, what happened between her falling asleep on her planet and waking up on Earth is the big blank. Did earthlings find her and investigate her, later accidentally losing her or did she get sent to Earth on purpose or by accident? Did she get sent here to avoid a cataclysm? One thing that's very obvious but subtle (ok, so I contradict myself) is how I phrased that there's no trace of the illness... I never said she still didn't have it. Earth may have put it in remission or it may be actually gone. Who knows? Things could get changed since I'm collaborating with a GM on this.

Yeah, she looks human, since I'm using a supergirl pic I modified. I call her Wonder Girl for her superheroine name. Some of the other players scoff at rather simplistic names like that, but I pull off my: "If I came up with a name like Mr. Fantastic, the Thing or the Human Torch, you would have thought those aren't very good."

If I were the GM, I'd ask for some more personality hooks in this origin. OK, tragic little girl wakes up with powers on Earth. What is her actual personality? How did her origin contribute to or reflect that? Who took her in and why, and how did this change her? Why is she a heroine?

Just some thoughts.

Since I've just more or less finished her, I'm working on her personality. Her personality has been affected by the fact that she knew she had a deadly disease but now is healty & even has powers. The powers aspect also plays into this, because they aren't part of her race. I'm still working on it, I guess.

I've created a supergirl-type character for a superteam. I like the origin where the world she' from has blown up' date=' essentially because the past is completely severed - it can't be gone back to short of time-travel. Still, a different origin would be nice. The thing is: I need her origin by this Friday! Could everyone throw origins, origin plot ideas or simply suggestions. Help O Herodom of Hero Games![/quote']

I may be a bit late, but here is a variation on a theme.

Your planet was sub-atomic.

When you were a child, the other "planets" near your own were systematically destroyed by an unknown source. Your father placed you in suspended animation in fear of such a fate befalling your own planet.

Meanwhile, in a lab in *insert gaming city here* an kindly old physicist prepares to split an atom. The cyclotron hums and glows as the neutron is accelerated to near-light speeds. It impacts the atom, releasing tremendous amounts of energy... and an infant girl in a suspended animation capsule...

Huh? :confused:

Batman is on an endless quest for revenge. Superman's personality holds all that is best about small town America, and at the same time is shaped by the imigrant experience (his people were killed, he is the last holder of their language, knowledge and cuture). Spiderman failed to live up to his responsibilities once, and will never turn his back on those responsibilities again.

The origin should give some hook to understanding the personality of the character.

First' date=' I apologize for any typos - I'm really sore from a pulled muscle.[/quote']

In your fingers? :jawdrop::snicker:

Okay, seriously though, the rest looks good. I was just curious as to how you imagined her upbringing (wasn't sure if she came to :earth: as a child or adult). Though the origin seems close to Superman's, at least you're trying to get some original stuff in there.

As a joke, for when your fellow gamers joke about the name "Wonder Girl," just tell them "Well, the only thing she knows from her past is that she was originally named Brah. When she decided to become a hero, she wanted to choose a simple name, but Wonder Brah just got too many laughs." :winkgrin:

Batman is on an endless quest for revenge. Superman's personality holds all that is best about small town America, and at the same time is shaped by the imigrant experience (his people were killed, he is the last holder of their language, knowledge and cuture). Spiderman failed to live up to his responsibilities once, and will never turn his back on those responsibilities again.

The origin should give some hook to understanding the personality of the character.

Let's not forget:

Green Arrow: Thrill of Adventure

Green Lantern: Responibility of Power

The Questions: A need to know the Truth

Captain America: Uphold an Ideal

Ohhh. Hmm. Well, I'd say that would be optional. Her alien origin could explain her powers, but it doesn't need to explain her motives. He could just say "her parents raised her that way." I think Tech was more concerned with an origin for this type of character as opposed to a personality.

After all, if you had a character and were given just one day to create a background, the personality might not pop up right away. In a Fantasy Hero game I'm in, I couldn't think of the personality for my character until after we started. I had some generic basics I was working off of, but it wasn't until the interaction with another player (not her character) before I found the persona I wanted.

Lastly, he was just receiving basics from us and we were receiving basics from him. He'll have today to think of the details. :)

Tech,

There are two versions of this thread. Which one is the main one ?

I understand your confusion. Due to some unusual problems when I first tried to post a single thread, two of them ended up being posted. I immediately asked one of them be deleted but by then, they had already been replied to so Ben left them both up. For my purposes, I'm using this one. I wasn't even aware the other one was still going. :stupid:

My thanks to OddHat and MisterVimes, excellent ideas for me to work with. I'm going to have to give these some thought. Thinking, thinking...

You're right, Kirby, what I said does sound odd. Simply put - my sprain is really painful and keeping me from concentrating. As for her upbringing, this is also a great idea to think on.

Okay, I still have some time: any other personality suggestions tied to what I've mentioned for her brief origin, anyone?