Internet and cell phones

paigeoliver

Re: Internet and cell phones

Just wondering how everyone else handles the potentially game busting aspect of characters using the internet and having cell phones. I am personally considering setting all my modern scenarios in the 80s to early 90s just to avoid this problem.

A couple of questions?

What genre are you running? Champs, Dark Champs (Modern Hero)?

If this is a superhero setting, the answers are easy. The internet doesn't yield enough real info to go bust a VIPER base, and cell phones are notoriously less useful than a team communicator that rarely if ever has connection problems.

Modern Hero: Here, you can resort to the movie cliche of bad signal, low battery, etc on the cell phone. Possibly the bad guy uses a small jammer that just makes cell phones not all that useful. Also, at least in Tom Clancy world, the government can tap cell phones at will, so why not the baddies?

Internet: Most of the same issues apply here. Yes, you can probably research a broad enough topic in minutes with a decent search engine, but how reliable are your sources?

Basically use the two in your favor. They can be great tools for disseminating information to the players. If they start using them like a crutch without double checking the info, bite them on the butt for it. Have them bust a christian revival meeting attended by a local politician that some annoyed blogger referred to as "A Huge cult meeting". ;)

A couple of questions?

What genre are you running? Champs, Dark Champs (Modern Hero)?

If this is a superhero setting, the answers are easy. The internet doesn't yield enough real info to go bust a VIPER base, and cell phones are notoriously less useful than a team communicator that rarely if ever has connection problems.

Modern Hero: Here, you can resort to the movie cliche of bad signal, low battery, etc on the cell phone. Possibly the bad guy uses a small jammer that just makes cell phones not all that useful. Also, at least in Tom Clancy world, the government can tap cell phones at will, so why not the baddies?

Internet: Most of the same issues apply here. Yes, you can probably research a broad enough topic in minutes with a decent search engine, but how reliable are your sources?

Basically use the two in your favor. They can be great tools for disseminating information to the players. If they start using them like a crutch without double checking the info, bite them on the butt for it. Have them bust a christian revival meeting attended by a local politician that some annoyed blogger referred to as "A Huge cult meeting". ;)

The internet really requires a skill roll to be truley useful.

And cell phones require you to have money on them to call (if they are pre pay) and have someone who you can actually contact with.

I say let them make a contact roll for the cell phone thing and make the internet require large int or extra time for them to be incredibly useful.

Just wondering how everyone else handles the potentially game busting aspect of characters using the internet and having cell phones. I am personally considering setting all my modern scenarios in the 80s to early 90s just to avoid this problem.

When i ran games in the 80s, i did not chanrge my pcs or npcs cp for their home phones, Tv sets or other "normal guy equipment."

Nowadays, they have the same treatment, only with cell phones, personal pcs and such.

IOW, the real world is not broken.

I agree with Proditor.

The internet is a great way to give the players information you want them to have. They will have sites they trust the information from (which will usually yield little beyond basic information), and the less trustworthy or sites of unknown trustworthiness (which will yield more information, but could be wrong, intentionally or not).

As for cell phones, remember that they have to be on to receive phone calls, or you just get voice mail. And if their system is like mine, it could take an hour or more sometimes for the phone to alert to a waiting voice mail. Also, you have to have reception, and most villain bases have some sort of shielding. Oh, and pray you have extra batteries along, because recharging if the battery dies takes a lot of time......

1. Cell phones need signals to reach other people and that is not always a definite fact due to enviroment, cell phone plan, tower location and outside force blocking it (very popular in the Horror genre). 2. Even if you can call someone, at best help is on the way or you have warned the other half of your group not to trust the person they are talking to. Of course if they are already talking to that person, they may just let the machine take a message not bother answering.

G

Have them bust a christian revival meeting attended by a local politician that some annoyed blogger referred to as "A Huge cult meeting".

Great, now I have to include a cult in a game just so I can use this. Great idea.

As the original question. I don't see the issue. Its not like you can google information on many issues the heroes are going to deal with. Typically they are only going to be able to get news sources or rumors, which means they will have to use their own wits and deduction in order to put the pieces together. Its not like Dr. Destroyer keeps all his latest plans on-line. As for cell phones. If I had a nickel for everytime a voice mail was answered I would be quite wealthy.

The Internet? They need a computer first. Pay points for the computer.

Cell Phone? They need either to buy a cell phone with points or 1 pt in Wealth. :)

What's so game-breaking about cellphones and the Internet?

Ok, 1987.

Dinosaurs chase character across island, who finally makes it to meet up with the rest of the team for a thrilling last stand.

Character dials for help at first sight of Dino.

Cell phones are the big problem. Go watch a bunch of pre-2000 movies and realize how many of them would be ruined if everyone had a cell phone like they do today.

Does the island have a cell-phone tower? Cell phones can't transmit point to point, they have to go through a cell phone tower.

I don't see cell-phones as a huge problem, just something that has to be watched out for and maybe considered. I have/had a friend with a cell phone. He was near impossible to get hold of. He always let the charge run down, would be on another call, wouldn't answer, or would forget the phone and leave it someplace else.

We allowed them in our modern game just because otherwise its a pain to find a roadside pay phone, call the home office, have them page a team-mate. Have the teammate meet someplace else. Everyone had a standard cell phone for free, and could upgrade it with points.

I gotta agree. Unless they have Satellite phones, which are definitively not commonplace, they are pretty much hosed once they hit the "middle of nowhere".

And man are they expensive...the "low" call rate is 17 cents a minute (Casual browse, I'm sure someone can find better) with an initial price of almost 2 grand for a new phone. Note, this does not include the service itself, which appears to average about 70 bucks a month. My rough guess is that you need about a 5 wealth and the need to travel remotely a lot (PS:Millionaire Archeologist??) to justify having one of those puppies.

The first Energy Blast that hits you takes out your cell phone.

Want to call someone and tell them you're being chased? Do you and that person both have a good AK, and is there a large landmark nearby?

Who else is listening to that call?

In my own games a cell phone call works if it will make the game more fun. If it will screw up the plot, then the phone was broken by that last fall / jump / blast, or the batteries are out, or there's a storm, or ... unless the PC paid points for the phone, in which case I take more care to include a working cell phone in my plans.

The Internet I don't much worry about; it's just another place to do research using your KSs. It's faster research than going to a good University library, sometimes much faster, but even if you have access to some serious pay services (ProQuest comes to mind) it's usually not as detailed. It just means a slight tweak in adventure design.

What's so game-breaking about cellphones and the Internet?

Good Question? I don't see what the problem is either.

Lets see, cell phones are fragile, I have broken a few in every day use let alone if a fight (a Haymaker from the Ripper is not covered by warranty). Buying a new cell after every battle could get expensive. They are awkward and slow (Extra Time, Concentration ½ DCV) to use it could be Turn 2 or 3 in a fight before someone answers. Moreover, the internet is nothing more than a home based library except that the information gained can be biased, or misleading. The Only advantage of the internet that I can see is that it is convenient. If it speeds up the investigation so we can get to the fight, I am all for it.

. :eg:

Ok, 1987.

Dinosaurs chase character across island, who finally makes it to meet up with the rest of the team for a thrilling last stand.

Character dials for help at first sight of Dino.

Cell phones are the big problem. Go watch a bunch of pre-2000 movies and realize how many of them would be ruined if everyone had a cell phone like they do today.

obviously scenario specifics and details need to be adjusted to meet the times. The same sort of challenge may alter as common technology changes. Go back earlier and be in a time when cars were rare, not ubiquitous and the nature of scenarios change as well.

Its not "game breaking" or "broken" that "on person communications" exist, just altering.

IMO.

I don't think you're heroes will turn up much infomation on the internet they couldn't have gotten elsewhere. For example:

http://www.google.com/search?q=plasma+cannon+homemade

failed to yield any details on how to actually build a plasma cannon. I don't know why, though, since I'm certain most evil villians have:

Disadv: Blueprints of weapons available on internet

Disadv: Secret base's location shows up in local property tax search

As to cell phones, there are enough issues with them that you can make them work when you want, and not work when you don't. If they complain, tell them to spend points on them. Examples of problems I've personally had:

1) Cell phone left on for more than 24 hours locks up. It looks fine, but cannot recieve calls. If you attempt to call out, you will quickly realize that no button you push does anything. The manufacture said this was a known defect and I should just turn it on and off once a day.

2) Newest phone randomly resets about once a week, accompanied by a very LOUD *@#$ song. No matter how low I have the volume turned, the Power On song doesn't appear to obey my volume setting. Wouldn't that suck right as you sneak up on the bad guys?

3) Battery life sucks. I've never had a battery in any cell last for more than 6 months without it going to only holding a charge for at most about 8-12 hours. If I actually make calls on it I generally get only 5-20 minutes of talk time. Again, this only happens after some wear and tear on the battery.

4) Wireless store hours often suck. They frequently close at random times at night (6pm on Mon & Wed, 6:30 Tue, 7:30 Thurs & Fri!?!?). Getting in there to replace a battery can be a hassle.

5) Cell phone companies. I cannot begin to explain the frustration of having to deal with them. Without some serious skill points invested, expect to get randomly charged for calls you never made and services you don't have. Just mention: "Hey, your cell bill came in and they say you called Romania twice this month and owe $237.11" If they ignore it, have it turn out some crook spoofed their cell and have the cops come calling thinking the Hero made these calls to the criminal underground in Romania.

6) Next time a Hero needs to make an emergency call (Dinos chasing him) have him dial and press Send. Then, have him recieve an incoming call, preferably from the guy he's calling. He'll hear the call waiting sound, but on some phones, it isn't easy to switch to it while a call is connecting because Send/End can cancel your call! Plus, you can't see whose calling because it is still connecting. So if he cancels his call to his bud and switches to the incoming call, oops, wrong number. If he doesn't, his buddies in the same situation and one of them fumbles their KS: Using latest cell phone roll and accidentally hangs up on the other and cancels their own call!

Wee, aren't cell phones fun!

About Cell phone battery life. Most rechargeable batteries have memory, so from time to time you need to completely deplete you phone battery and than recharge it. If a battery is continuously recharged every 12-24 hours, eventually that's all the charge it'll hold.

The desert dino island example is a good place for a no coverage zone, or worse ROAMING, no one wants to rack roaming charges just for a Dinosaur.

About Cell phone battery life. Most rechargeable batteries have memory, so from time to time you need to completely deplete you phone battery and than recharge it. If a battery is continuously recharged every 12-24 hours, eventually that's all the charge it'll hold.

The desert dino island example is a good place for a no coverage zone, or worse ROAMING, no one wants to rack roaming charges just for a Dinosaur.

Options:

1. Phone works fine for dialing, connects, then drops call as character runs into dead zone. Phone resets a few meters later...and insists on listing the "dropped call" notification. Character must stop, spend a few seconds to clear, and then attempt to dial again (with dino bearing down...), or forget about call.

2. Hurricane that took out island power also took out cell phone towers. Backups fail. Add in an obnoxious scientist telling us about the dangers of relying on high-tech solutions.

3. Cell phone towers not enabled yet. Park isn't open.

4. Cell phone is GSM, tower is CDMA (or the reverse), phone won't work.

5. Random telemarketer calls just before the "send" is pressed, offering an all-expenses paid trip to the Island's grand opening. Telemarketer insists on reading entire speech, and won't understand the "I'm being chased by a dino" sales objection.

6. (For satellite phones), Character runs for cover, and breaks the connection to the satellite.

7. Battery begins to overheat, character must toss cell phone away before the battery explodes.

8. Character actually places call, receiver thinks it's a prank.

9. Character actually places call, receiver believes the problem, and then spends the next week trying to get someone to bail out the character. EthicallyBankruptCorp , the owner of the island, sues surviving characters over NDA.

10. Loud shouting into phone attracts other dinos looking for the animal in distress.

YMMV,

JoeG

Also there has been in the past 6 years (not sure on dates here) two terrible events in which people involved used cell phones to contact the outside world. Columbine, the kids were able to communicate to parents that they were okay and to call the police. The second was 9/11 in which passengers called their loved one. Cell phones not existing in either of these situtation would not of stopped them from happening other then words of it spreading the word possibly faster. Granted in a super heroic campaign, maybe someone would call a Cape to the rescue, but heck the team's danger monitor would have picked it up and would have dispatch help.

G

PS My apology to any who have lost loved ones in either case for usiing them as examples.