Anyone done a Riftwars Hero

kiahoga

Re: Anyone done a Riftwars Hero

hmmm... How ironically circular (Riftwars was originally a campaign setting)

I wondered about that when I read them. They seemed to be based off of a campaign... just had that feel to it.

I'm curious, where did you hear they were based on a campaign?

I wondered about that when I read them. They seemed to be based off of a campaign... just had that feel to it.

I'm curious, where did you hear they were based on a campaign?

From what I heard, the setting was based in a homebred campaign world. As a matter of fact, Feist and his friends still keep a partnership to profit from the rights of derived products such as the Krondor computer games series. However, Feist declared that the stories he wrote has little in common with actual campaigns.

Thats true. The game apparantly got it's start here at UCSD. Feist wasnt the original creator; he got involved later and started writing stories set in the setting, which he managed to parley into a career.

The other members published some supplements for the setting as well, but were talking old school original D&D era material here.

They still have a primitive website up called Midkemia Press:

http://www.midkemia.com/

It was last updated a year ago, so it's not completely defunct, but there isnt a lot there.

Apparantly the name Midkemia was coined by Conan Lamot, but the development was done mostly by Jon Everson and Steve Abrams.

I once spoke to Ray at a book signing about RPG supplements based in Midkemia about...7 or 8 years ago I guess. I dont recall the exact dates. He was actually really cool about it and he talked to me one on one thru a 15 minute break. At the time the Krondor computer games were an item, and that was his focus. He was also interested in the format of Magic and other CCGs so we talked about that for a couple of minutes. He said he didnt game anymore at that time, but I could tell he was nostalgic about it (you can always tell when a lapsed gamer gets the old spark in their eyes when they think back on games), and he had the basic lingo down (from the perspective of an old-school gamer). All and all he seemed like an ok guy, a more temporally successful than most middle aged gamer basically.

I would love to see it done, if only the first two books (one book originally IIRC) Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master. After that it all went downhill for me. I couldn't glom onto the to futuristic (not that there were a lot of them) pieces of it.

I wouldn't mind doing something in the Talon Hawk series (still Midkemia but I haven't seen too much of the alternate dimension futuristic stuff).

Later,

Greg Volz

Natural Twenty Gaming

Well right now im working on getting the magic system converted over to hero terms so far i have the forms as.

Lesser Path

Greater Path

Divine

Elven

Pantathian

Im working on making them distinct forms of magic from the books i have Basically everything i have up till the current trilogy. That means im rereading the series with a notebook and jottin down notes of specifics i find.

Also i downloaded the 2 PDF's of game books they have on the old mikemia press web site for this i persever but as i more and more firm things up ill post my ideas here .

I would definitely be interested in what you came up with. I am thinking of starting up another fantasy hero game and a riftwar one would be quite enjoyable I would think. Either that or a Wheel of Time one. Although I have done a Wheel of Time hero game before. I think a Riftwar one would be more fun.

Yeah but they're are things that are outside of what id see as psionic power like in the first book magician apprentice how during the Storm that Pug was caught out in the begining Kulgan was able to radically lessen the effects of the storm around his abode from a howling storm to a light spring rain i believe was mentioned.

Yeah but they're are things that are outside of what id see as psionic power like in the first book magician apprentice how during the Storm that Pug was caught out in the begining Kulgan was able to radically lessen the effects of the storm around his abode from a howling storm to a light spring rain i believe was mentioned.

Simple Mind over Matter. Localized Environmental disturbance is within the range of Psionics.

Other psionic type magic systems have required foci. Fourth Ed FH had a Mentalist school that needed to use a crystal as a focus, Master of the Five Magics had a Sorcery style that needed to use a Sorceror's Eye (or something) to use its mental type spells. I'm sure there are plenty more examples out there....

Yes but there are alos othercontradictions now yes the Inner power that the lesser path mages have ill agree can very and probably are Psionic in nature but there other set appear to be true magic. In Mac Modain Cadal Kulgan does a spell in the fight with the Wraith That has a physical effect of giving off a white clound of smoke. So heres wha i propose is that lesser path magery will be broken up into two schools the inner powers which are psionic and use the body as its focus (thier terimnology) and the external power which will have to use either a book, scroll, or device as a focus.

Also to those intersted in this anyone have some thoughts on how to do the dwarven ability to not get lost in atleast their tunnels for (after being set upon a path no dwarf can get lost)

AS before anyfurther thoughts on this is most appreeciated

Also to those intersted in this anyone have some thoughts on how to do the dwarven ability to not get lost in atleast their tunnels for (after being set upon a path no dwarf can get lost)

This is usually done with the Bump of Direction Talent. You can put a limitation on it if you want, so that they will lose their sense of direction if they're blindfolded and spun around, or fall down a rabbit hole, or carried unconscious to a new place.

Check out my website at http://www.FantasyHERO.com

Under Race Packages. Loot and Pillage as you like.

The Dwarf bit you mention is just a Limited Bump of Direction.

As far as Psionics and what it can and cant do, it's all just labels anyway. You seem to assign the label of "Psionic" to purely mental affects, but thats just your personal perspective on the matter. Other super-human ability systems in fiction and games that are labeled "Psionics" allow physical manifestations.

It's just a justification/categorization. Particularly in the HERO System where you reason from effect and the only differences between "Magic", "Psionics", and "Technology" (and any other SFX) are those that the GM chooses to impose.

You need to get used to seperating the in-game flavoring and definition from the actual mechanics.

• 7 months later...

Hey Tim; useless trivia -- my dad is from Advance, MO, near Cape Girardeau. Ive got a lot of dead relatives buried practically in your backyard!

Anyway, back OT, there's the new Silverhawk series out of course, but other than that nothing particularly new for Krondor or Midkemia.

Had to laugh at seeing this thread ressurect. One of the only non-hero RPG books I have with my FH stuff is a copy of the 3rd edition of Cities by Midkemia press. Comes in very handy on occasion.

And my Heroplie art thread has my campaigns Mordhel, which were initially stolen from the Riftwar Saga. My campaign version has been modified to unrecognizable levels.

Had to laugh at seeing this thread ressurect. One of the only non-hero RPG books I have with my FH stuff is a copy of the 3rd edition of Cities by Midkemia press. Comes in very handy on occasion.

And my Heroplie art thread has my campaigns Mordhel, which were initially stolen from the Riftwar Saga. My campaign version has been modified to unrecognizable levels.

I was thinking about new campaigns, and your picture and the name is what resurrected my interest. Then I discussed it with a freind, who loves the Feist books (and originally got me to read them) and he is ready to make a character now.

Anyway, I came up with the package deal for the new Valheru (the children of Thomas). (This is strictly from memory and I really need to reread the books before finalizing this)

+5 Str

+5 Dex

+5 Con

+5 Ego

+5 Pre

+4 Com

+.5 Spd

Valheru blood: perk: 5 points (this allows the purchase of Valheru powers later)

Long Life: LS: Reduced aging, 800 yrs: 3 points

Self healing: 1d6 Healing, Concentration, 0 DCV, Can take no other action, extra time; full turn.

DF: Valheru aura: not concealable, Detectable by commonly used senses, Noticed and recognized

Hunted; Various Groups who hate the Valheru, 8-, Harsh

Social Limitation: Member of the Elven Royal Family, major,occasionally

Ends up being a 67 points and 35 disads

Over on the Feist Fans mailing list talk of a new comic book is coming out (http://www.dabelbrothers.com). Some of the art was posted to the list which I cannot post here or risk being banished from the list.

PRESS RELEASE: DABEL BROS TAKE ON THE RIFTWAR SAGA

Studio behind The Hedge Knight returns to bring the universe of bestselling author Raymond E. Feist to life.

Following up on the success of the critically acclaimed bestselling adaptation of George R. R. Martin's The Hedge Knight, Dabel Brothers Production is nearing release on its next wave of comic book adaptations based on the works of popular fantasy authors.

One of the foremost of these titles is based upon the short story "The Wood Boy" by Raymond E. Feist, a unique coming of age story that offers a common boy's perspective of the Riftwar Saga as he finds himself enslaved under a force of alien invaders as they occupy the manor where he works. Featuring art by fan-favorite Mat Broome, the comic book adaptation of The Wood Boy is on track to become another major title for the Dabel Brothers.

"The Wood Boy is a great introduction to the Riftwar because it gives readers a glimpse of both sides of the conflict," said Sean J. Jordan, who wrote the adaptation of the story. "On one side, you've got the Midkemians, who live in a fairly standard medieval world complete with elves, dwarves, and dragons. On the other side, you have the Tsurani, an invading army somewhat like a blend between the Mongol Hordes and the Roman Legions that has come through a rift between the two worlds to conquer the kingdoms and take their metal."

The Wood Boy follows Dirk, a teenager who has just begun his life as a servant on a prominent estate as the Riftwar begins. When the Tsurani invade the estate and turn it into a base of operations, Dirk and his fellow workers are forced to not only attend to the needs of the estate, but also those of the army.

"The first half of the story is all about Dirk learning how to live under the rule of his harsh new masters," said Jordan, "while the second half takes an unexpected twist and gives Dirk an opportunity to grow from a simple wood boy into a courageous hero."

One of the most distinctive aspects of The Wood Boy is its artistic style - illustrator Mat Broome infused the story with a bit of a "Dirk-the-Daring" look to make the title stand out in the genre. The result is a book that captures the imagination and fun of the fantasy world.

"Part of the reason I decided to work on this project is because Feist's writing is really good," said Broome. "This is a really compelling story about the awkwardness of being a kid, and it's been a blast to work on it."

The Wood Boy #1 will be available in Spring, 2005 through Image Comics at comic book retailers everywhere. Retailers may order copies through Diamond Distributors, Order Code JAN051638.

I did a HARP conversion (http://www.naturaltwenty.com/downloads/midkemia.pdf'>http://www.naturaltwenty.com/downloads/midkemia.pdf) and ran a game for about 5 months. I'm going to update my notes for HERO instead.

Later,

Greg V.

Natural Twenty Gaming

http://www.naturaltwenty.com

And when this is all said and done, I'd love to see the material for the Kelwan side of the Rift--playing Tsuranni nobles and warriors sounds quite interesting.

Incidently... it's not 'Elven' magic, but Spellweaving, the art of enhancing spells. Many elven mages are Lesser Path mages to begin with, IMO.

Also, the Valheru have powers that seem to be derived from a mix of styles, so you might want to pick and choose to see if they fit.