Reasoning from effect/I think I have finaly done it/GL Bubbles

JmOz

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Reasoning from effect/I think I have finaly done it/GL Bubbles

...and laser cannons

Yeah, whatever. :rolleyes:

Hey, I got an idea... why don't you be utterly sarcastic rather say something that might actually be of interest to someone?

Ah Worldmaker, sarcasm cancels sarcasm then.

Point is I was using it to make the point. Ineffectively, obviously. You can add whatever you like for not much more cost, and all you are doing is using summon as a mechanism for getting round paying for the powers.

I may be way off in the hinterlands here, but myonly real objection, to re-iterate, is the, I consider, very high DEF. As an effect, in principle, it is peachy.

Want something constructive to comment on, what do you think of the suggestion for simulating a homing missile using powers rather than buying it as a vehicle?

Guest Worldmaker

Want something constructive to comment on, what do you think of the suggestion for simulating a homing missile using powers rather than buying it as a vehicle?

I'd prefer to use powers for the homing missile. I don't mind having the Force Bubble be purchased as a vehicle.

I think in this sort of situation, ie one where a minor power can be bought either very cheaply or very dearly, the GM has to just make sure that the player understands that if the power is going to be used in each and every tactical situation, they'll have to pay for it. If it's going to be used infrequently, then in many cases the cheaper build is appropriate.

So if the force bubble is only used whenever the player needs to transport allies or prisoners in generally-non-combat situations, then the cheap version can be used. If the player wants to use it in combat as a force wall/move-through device/entangle, then the character should buy Force Wall, EB, and Entangle.

I personally would let a player take the cheaper build until they began abusing the construct, and then I would withhold XP until the more expensive version was payed for.

Guest Worldmaker

So if the force bubble is only used whenever the player needs to transport allies or prisoners in generally-non-combat situations, then the cheap version can be used. If the player wants to use it in combat as a force wall/move-through device/entangle, then the character should buy Force Wall, EB, and Entangle.

I agree. And the character for whom I would approve this construction already has.

I'm not arguing with the principle' date=' I'm arguing with the execution. Summon is a STOP power, and should not be used to do things that you can simulate with powers. You could, for instance buy the vehicle tomove your mates around safely and then protect it with yout own force wall, bought as a power. I'm pretty confident that the force wall you could buy as a power would nto have 15 PD/15ED, 0END: you could not afford it (that would be 112 active points!).[/quote']

Absolute agreement on the STOP Sign issue. The sign is there for a reason. I suppose what I'm getting at is that such Powers shouldn't be disallow just because it's a STOP Sign, just taken a closer look at before they're allowed. If in JmOz's campaign he's Bubble wouldn't unbalance the game, there wouldn't be a problem. If it would unbalance yours, then you are well in your rights to dissallow it. I just think disallowing it because you disagree with the mechanic is kinda off.

Let's reason from effect...

Work for you?

Sorry about the snip...but I like to save space.

It doesn't really work for me. I don't like making up rules unless I really have to. The Vehicle/Summon rules work perfectly for this, so I have no need to make some up, or hand wave the affects of clever Modifiers. I'm not saying your way is wrong, but I'd never allow such a construct in my games.

I'm thinking I'd better stop with that, as it seems were on different sides of the river on this issue.

I think in this sort of situation, ie one where a minor power can be bought either very cheaply or very dearly, the GM has to just make sure that the player understands that if the power is going to be used in each and every tactical situation, they'll have to pay for it. If it's going to be used infrequently, then in many cases the cheaper build is appropriate.

I personally would let a player take the cheaper build until they began abusing the construct, and then I would withhold XP until the more expensive version was payed for.

I agree, this idea is for non combat use mostly (Not including the ambush, or escape possibilities)

• 2 years later...

My gift to you - A prefab and vehicle file. The vehicle file has been associated to the prefab, but I'm not sure if that link is maintained. I created them in the same folder so if you keep them together it should work. I haven't fully tested it, but I hope it proves useful for ya. Thanks for the cool idea!

I haven't got USPD' date=' so I have no idea what you are talking about. [b']Mind you, ANYTHING, given a sufficiently drunk GM is 'just fine'.[/b] In this instance, if Steve thinks it is OK to summon a missile that does the same job as an EB or a RKA for a fifth of the points you'd normally have to spend on them if bought as powers, he is wrong, as I'm sure he would readily accept. We could ask him...

Just want to say, I'm so stealing this for my signature!