The New Circle

OddHat

Guest Skaramine

Re: The New Circle

I'm using the following command:

"<" iframe src="http://www.geocities.com/morningstar11070/Professor_Tesseract.HTML" width="100%" height = "600" ">" "<" /iframe ">"

And I uploaded the HTML export files directly from Hero Designer.

And thanks for the offer to use Thornmallow, since he's your Doctor Doom... but I'd already set them up as arch enemies of the Comte St. Germaine... :o Sorry, bblackmoor. :(

Guest Skaramine

Great stuff, Skaramine.

Would this be a good time to say that Thornmallow is my twist on Doctor Doom? I hadn't given any thought to his equivalent to Reid Richards, though. If you think of something interesting, you're welcome to work him in.

Maybe Thornmallow and the Quarter still will get enough opportunities to mix it up, but I was committed to a more subtle Doom/Diablo clone - the Comte St. Germaine.

Guest bblackmoor

And I uploaded the HTML export files directly from Hero Designer.

That's what I mean: which one of them are you using?

And thanks for the offer to use Thornmallow' date=' since he's your Doctor Doom... but I'd already set them up as arch enemies of the Comte St. Germaine... :o Sorry, bblackmoor. :([/quote']

No worries: I should have known you'd have that base covered. :)

Guest Skaramine

That's what I mean: which one of them are you using?

No worries: I should have known you'd have that base covered. :)

I think I used the Default Character. Let me check and see if it's working out still...

Guest Skaramine

Don't worry' date=' it happens to everyone. Just wait thirty minutes or take a short nap, then try it again.[/quote']

Nah... I tried posting the html and the spacing was just whack. I'll try something else. The link to my webpage works better.

Wow, Skaramine, I've repped you and was resisting the urge to join the "me, too" posting crowd (my post count is embarrassing enough), but I must add that what I especially like, and wish I had waited to rep specifically, was the remake of Richards, I think that is the real treat. I like how you altered the power set on this one especially, makes me wish Mr. Fantastic were this guy, very interesting.

Guest Skaramine

Still testing

Goyle 750

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

60/70 STR 50 21- / 23- Lift 102.4tons/409.6tons; 12d6/14d6; [6/7]

18 DEX 24 13- OCV 6 DCV 6

37 CON 54 16-

18 BODY 16 13-

15 INT 5 12- PER Roll 12-

15 EGO 10 12- ECV: 5

28 PRE 18 15- PRE Attack: 5 1/2d6

10 COM 0 11-

43/45 PD 31 Total: 43/45 PD (36 rPD)

43/45 ED 36 Total: 43/45 ED (36 rED)

5 SPD 22 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

19 REC 0

74 END 0

67 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 266

Movement: Running: 12" / 24"

Swimming: 2" / 4"

Leaping: 12" / 24"

Tunneling: 2" / 4"

Cost Powers END

Martial Arts:

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 1) Clobberin' Time -2 +1 16d6 / 18d6 Strike

4 2) Crush

4 3) Martial Block

3 4) Martial Throw

3 5) Takedown

3 6) You're Not Goin' Anywhere

Wrestling And Brick Tricks

20 Body of Stone And Bracing: Knockback Resistance -10"

45 Body of Stone: Damage Resistance (36 PD/36 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (45 Active Points)

5 Body of Stone: Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Resistant Defenses

47 Brick Tricks: Multipower, 70-point reserve, (70 Active Points); all slots Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2)

3u 1) Armsweep: Energy Blast 9d6, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (67 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2) 7

2u 2) Crack The Whip: Energy Blast 8d6, Side Effects (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character; +0), Indirect ( Always away from character, but can strike foes form one of several directions; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OIF (appropriate materials of opportunity) (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Only Versus Properly Positioned Targets (-1/4), Limited Range (Length Of Whip) (-1/4) 6

5u 3) Every Wall Has A Door: Tunneling 2" through 22 DEF material (70 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2) 7

3u 4) Flick Of Unconsciousness: Energy Blast 6d6, No Normal Defense (+1) (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Requires A Strength Tricks Roll (-1/2), Side Effects (-1/4) 6

5u 5) Heavy Scattershot: Energy Blast 7d6, Area Of Effect (8" Cone; +1) (70 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2) 7

3u 6) Hitting For Distance: Hand-To-Hand Attack +8d6, Double Knockback (+3/4) (70 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), OIF (Appropriate Club Of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2) 7

5u 7) Hyper-Breath-1: Energy Blast 8d6, Double Knockback (+3/4) (70 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2) 7

4u 8) Light Scattershot: Sight Group Flash 5d6, No Normal Defense (+1/2), Area Of Effect (8" Cone; +1) (62 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2) 6

5u 9) Sharp Scattershot: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1, Area Of Effect (8" Cone; +1) (70 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2) 7

2u 10) Shockwave: Energy Blast 8d6, Limited Power Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (Only Does Knockdown, Not Knockback; +0), Hole In The Middle (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2) (70 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Only When In Contact With The Ground (-1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Only Effects Targets on the Ground; -1/4) 7

2u 11) The Big Wrap Up: Entangle 7d6, 7 DEF (70 Active Points); OIF (Appropriate materials of opportunity; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Defense Depends Upon Materials Used; -1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Side Effects (may cause considerable damage to the environment; -1/4) 7

2u 12) Thunderclap: Hearing Group Flash 11d6, Hole In The Middle (+1/4), Does Knockback (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2) (66 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2) 7

12 Drawing Mass: Healing BODY 2d6, Can Heal Limbs (25 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2), OIF (Stone or Mineral of Opportunity; -1/2) 2

5 Mystical Stony Nature: Power Defense (5 points)

33 Stony Body And Immense Strength: Life Support (Extended Breathing; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum)

22 Stony Body: 45 PD/45 ED, Hardened (+1/4) (22 Active Points) 2

12 Strong Legs: Running +6" (12" total) 1

7 Stubborn and Willful: Mental Defense (10 points total)

12 Total Control Over Stony Body (From "Light" Humanoid to Full "Goyle" Form): Shape Shift (Sight Group), Costs END Only To Change Shape (+1/4) (12 Active Points) 1

12 Total Control Over Stony Body: Density Increase (600 kg mass, +10 STR, +2 PD/ED, -2" KB), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (12 Active Points) 1

Perks

12 Contact, Organization Contact (x3) (12 Active Points) 13-

9 Reputation (A large group) 14-, +3/+3d6

5 Vehicles & Bases

7 Fringe Benefit: Captain, Security Clearance

Skills

15 +3 with HTH Combat

3 Power 21- (23-)

3 AK: Cape Canaveral 12-

3 AK: Houston 12-

3 AK: New Orleans 12-

9 Combat Piloting 16-

3 Deduction 12-

3 Electronics 12-

3 Language: Creole (completely fluent)

3 Language: French (completely fluent)

3 Mechanics 12-

9 Navigation (Air, Space) 15-

3 Oratory 15-

6 PS: Astronaut 15-

4 PS: Chef 13-

6 PS: Pilot 16-

3 Paramedics 12-

3 Persuasion 15-

5 Rapid Attack (HTH)

3 Scholar

3 1) KS: Arcane and Occult Lore (4 Active Points) 13-

5 2) KS: Cajun Cooking (6 Active Points) 15-

5 3) KS: Creole Cooking (6 Active Points) 15-

2 4) KS: Cults and Secret Societies (3 Active Points) 12-

4 5) KS: New Orleans Culture (5 Active Points) 14-

4 6) KS: Supernatural Creatures (5 Active Points) 14-

9 Tactics 15-

7 Teamwork 15-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 484

Total Cost: 750

200+ Disadvantages

25 Dependent NPC: Antoinette Ainley and the Reid children Bobbi and Darrin 11- (Normal; Group DNPC: x4 DNPCs)

20 Distinctive Features: Body of Stone (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Enraged: When friends or family are harmed (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11-

25 Hunted: Comte Saint-Germaine 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

15 Hunted: The Changelings 8- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

5 Physical Limitation: Body of Stone (weighs 800kg) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

10 Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing (Common, Moderate)

5 Psychological Limitation: Cranky and Gruff (Uncommon, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Devoted to his extended "family" (Common, Strong)

15 Social Limitation: Public Identity (Graham Benjamin) (Frequently, Major)

400 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 750

Background/History: "NASA loves you, Graham... but they don't love that nut Reid," General Crowley said.

"Al... Al..." Graham Benjamin replied, not really wanting to go through this yet again. "You know how crazy the world is. Dix... yeah, he's pretty strange, but we have enough genius pointed at the stars. He's looking at the shadows."

"You're going to kiss your career goodbye if you leave to work with him," Crowley warned.

"Then the hell with my career. Dix is my buddy, and if we have to look like idiots sometimes, then so be it," Graham growled. Crowley flinched at the big former astronaut's momentary anger. Captain Benjamin was known as being fiery, stubborn, and hell on wheels if pushed to hard. But he was also one of the best pilots in the world, a man who'd saved the Space Shuttle Enterprise from a disasterous crash into Houston, Texas only two short years before. And then there was Gulf War 1...

man was a hero through and through.

"I just wish he had found another pilot crazy enough to go with him into that rip," Crowley grumbled.

"And what? Listen, we have people like Victrix defending us from out there, but there's another 'out there', and the Triangle is just one of those doorways through to that place," Benjamin answered.

only glared. His mind was made up.

#

weren't supposed to get on that airplane and delve into the Triangle, but Doctor Dixon Reid, Sarah Squall and her little brother Jimmy Squall were willing to take the risk. Dixon was one of the brightest men he ever knew, and his closest friend from high school and college, and someone had to babysit his research assistant and the kid. So Gulf War hero and Space Shuttle astronaut Captain Graham Benjamin took the controls of Dixon's instrument-laden Gulfstream jet and aimed them right into the heart of the storm.

through the Rift, a transdimensional portal, Reid's aircraft design proved durable enough to survive the forces that bridged the multiverse... mostly. The frame of the aircraft, wired together with "ligaments" of cold iron, kept the Gulstream together, although fissures throughout the shell of the craft allowed odd energies to seep through. The windshield was incapable of holding back a storm of stony hornets, and instinctively, Graham threw himself in front of the deadly torrent. It felt as if he was on fire as the racing pellets tore through his flesh. Sarah, even as she faded behind a shimmering sheet of strange goo, screamed and tried to shield her friend Graham. A bubble of ectoplasm enveloped not only Graham, but Dixon and Jimmy, and Graham relaxed, the pain in his body fading. Strangely, though, he began to feel heavier, more numb. His mind swirled momentarily, but when the Gulfstream slammed into a small island, the crash had not harmed him, nor any of the others.

found out why, though. Graham's flesh had been replaced with the odd, rusty-colored stones. His strength was increased exponentially, with little loss of dexterity, but he was no longer physically human. He had turned into some form of monsterous gargoyle.

and the others had changed as well, but the brilliant parapsychologist quickly appealed to Graham's heroism. He could use his powers to protect humanity while they searched for a means to return him to a semblance of normalcy. A relationship with deaf author, Antoinette Ainley (daughter of one of the Quarter's most persistant enemies) enabled him to adjust his self esteem, and in his new role as Goyle, he is not only still an idol of millions, he's in the fight to save those millions, time and time again.

Personality/Motivation: As courageous and heroic as Graham is, he hides brooding self doubt under a veneer of grim, self-depreciating humor. After a life of military discipline as both a pilot and an astronaut, hanging around with a dysfunctional crew like the Quarter has enabled him to let his hair down, figuratively. Always his own man, and stubbornly adamant about his opinions, he is gruff and argumentative. If it hadn't been for his relationships with Antoinette and the rest of the Quarter, he could quite easily have become a bitter, destructive force after his transformation, but even now, should any of his support structures be stripped away, he has received enough nurturing to keep as a kind and helpful champion.

of the rest of the team and other supers:

Tesseract - Graham loves Dixon as a brother, and swiftly got over his resentment of winning Sarah's heart. He bears no ill will towards Dixon for the effects of the Rift on him. If anything, Graham is as protective, if not moreso now that they are superpowered adventurers, because he realizes that Dixon's paranormal curiosity will drag the occult genius into situations where even his remarkable capabilities can't get him out of. Graham often jokes about Dixon's verbosity and intense curiosity, using humor to be the voice of reason for his best pal.

- There was a time when Graham was deeply in love with Sarah, and even now he cares for her, although his feelings for her have matured and tempered down to feeling as if she was a substitute for the sister he never had. Sometimes he grates against Sarah's motherly attitude, cracking wise at her admonishments, but when push comes to shove, Sarah can back him down.

- Graham grew up as an only child, so he never had to deal with a mischievous younger brother. With Jimmy, he's catching up for lost time, and when not staving off the forces of darkness, and sometimes even then, the young hothead brings out a mischievous immaturity in the big guy. While Jimmy's pranks and sharp remarks often seem to spark Graham's formidable anger, Graham has willingly given his all to protect him.

New Circle - As a team, Graham has enormous respect for them. They have protected the Earth with the same tenacity as the Quarter, and the two teams have worked together in the past as a true dream team. He works especially well with Legend, although to Legend's chagrin, Goyle jokes that he's the "prettier and more popular" of the two in their team-ups. Graham considers Night Hunter to be an annoying know-it-all, and the Athenian to be pretty, if a little off-putting. Always reminds him that there are worse things than monsterous appearance as the fate.

Champions - They're a bunch of good guys, although when their paths cross with the Quarter, they usually just end up underfoot. Witchcraft is the only one who can handle the kind of nightmares they regularly encounter, and Phantasma always has to tell Goyle to hold his tongue when referring to Ironclad.

Quote: "I don't care if you're the King of the Underwear, creep. Back off, or I'm gonna throw you a homestyle beating just like my Aunt Daisy used to make, with extra chunks of my rocky foot up yer butt!"

Powers/Tactics: Graham, while not exactly the strongest living man-like creature ever to walk the Earth, is still one of the heaviest hitters in the Quarter when it comes to combat. Where Goyle lacks raw, untapped physical might, he makes up with it with resourcefulness, skill, and versatility. He can easily bounce high explosive shells off his rocky hide, lift over 400 tons at his greatest mass, and while he's not as light and nimble as Feyfire, he's can be a whirling tornado of fists. With time and experience, Graham has learned how to alter himself to be a more handsome, if still stony humanoid of only a little over 300 pounds. When it comes to clobberin' time, however, he readily shifts to his full 1300 pound mass for maximum clobber. As his command over his body has increased, so too has his strength and durability. Now, few environments, diseases or poisons can cause him physical harm and he can hold his breath for a long time.

, while not the genius that Dixon is, possesses a canny and cunning mind. He's an accomplished astronaut and pilot, a trained leader, and is the man who organized the Quarter's combat tactics. Opponents assuming that the huge tan-colored lump of stone isn't the sharpest tool in the shed have met their come-uppance when trying to defeat Goyle's awesome might, and slam right into Graham's indominatable spirit and intelligence.

Campaign Use: Goyle is a magically empowered brick with several non-combat abilities which could make him useful in combat. Also, in situations where superheroes might need an ally who is in NASA or has Air Force ties, then Goyle could be a godsend.

Seed: A man resembling Graham Benjamin is spotted, engaging in demonic activities with stony creatures identical to Goyle. Have the Quarter finally located Graham's original body, and what is the monsterous force motivating his form? And what on Clancy Street are the stone monstrosities that are running around with it? Can the PC's stop an army of Goyles, literally hell bent on conquering the Earth?

Seed: Victrix disappears into a warp. NASA and the USAF have sent out probes, and the best space-travelling supers on Earth are coming up empty in locating her. Her friend Graham has a suspicion that she's disappeared into another universe, and wants to call in some extra help. Will they find her, or could things be even worse when they track the lost super into the realm of the Changelings.

Seed: Goyle and the Monster are slugging it out in downtown New Orleans. The rest of the Quarter are missing, presumed injured or worse, and Goyle is having trouble containing his traditional supernatural sparring partner. The PC's have their work cut out for them, assisting Goyle in containing the Monster's carnage and rampages, and locating the missing members of the Quarter. Could the Comte St. Germain be behind this

Appearance: Goyle at his maximum mass is a hulking six foot tall slab of tan colored stone with a single blue eye in the center of what could be called a head with a rudimentary mouth and blunt, but highly nimble fingers. The stony monstrosity is naked, but no obvious body parts are visible, although Goyle's physical needs are normal. Apparently he has limited shape shifting abilities, enough for his modesty, but to allow for his very human eating, reproductive, and waste removal processes. In his standard "civillian form" he is a six foot tall, relatively svelt humanoid of the same color, but with normal facial features. In this form, he wears an open-chest leather jacket and pants, preferring to go barefoot. Goyle's clothes are covered by his excess body mass when he goes to full weight.

Benjamin is a tall, handsome, athletic man with brown hair and brown eyes.

Finally, FINALLY got Gadgets and Gear, and redid Tao with the book version shield, rather than my half-remembered version.

Took the "Restrainable" suggestion.

Here is the updated version. I updated the .hdc too.

I'll do the high-point version later. If inspiration strikes, I might do some more background for Tao as well, but right now I'm thinking of doing something with cold iron...

Happy New Year's!

Off to our rockin' New Year's Gamin' Eve, but thought I'd leave this: a distraction from my preparation last night.

Quite a few pages back, someone noticed most of the mystic heroes had angst-filled backgrounds (demons, curses, dead parents, lost puppies, etc.), and we wondered at the lack of "normal, well-adjusted" backgrounds.

I may have gone a bit overboard with that.

As a request: if your group includes that guy who always plays slutty nympho women, please keep his hands off Black Swan. Although the showtunes will probably do that, anyway. ;)

Black Swan

Alternate IDs: Cora Lonchizo

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

27 DEX 51

20 CON 20

13 BODY 6

18 INT 8

18 EGO 16

20 PRE 10

25 COM 8

15 PD 2

15 ED 2

5 SPD 13

8 REC 0

40 END 0

33 STUN 0

7" RUN 2

2" SWIM 0

5" LEAP 1

Characteristics Cost: 149

Cost Power

18 Tappa-Tappa-Tappa: Aid: DEX 2d6, Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (40 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2), Linked To Martial Arts Maneuvers (-1/2), Only For Increasing OCV And DCV (-1/4) [Notes: refer to Arrays in Ultimate Martial Artist]

17 Razzle-Dazzle: Drain DEX 2d6, Trigger (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), No Normal Defense (make PER roll or Danger Sense roll; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (60 Active Points); Only To Reduce Hand-To-Hand DCV (-1), DCV Reduction Only Works On An Attacking Opponent (-1), DCV Reduction Only Lasts For One Phase (-1/2) [Notes: refer to Feints in Ultimate Martial Artist]

18 Charmed Life: Combat Luck (9 PD/9 ED)

5 Charmed Soul: Power Defense (5 points)

10 Legs Up To There: Change Environment 2" radius, -2 : OCV, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (34 Active Points); Only Affects Those Who Would Notice These Things (-1), No Range (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), Always On (-1/4)

5 Magic Tophat: +2 with Magic (10 Active Points); OAF (-1)

5 Magic Wand: Multipower, 10-point reserve, all slots: (10 Active Points); OAF (-1)

1u 1) Hocus-Poke: Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6 (10 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

1u 2) Mumbo-Jumbo: +2 with HTH Combat (10 Active Points)

1u 3) Abara-Cadabara: +2 with Magic (10 Active Points)

2 Things My Parents Told Me: Cramming (5 Active Points); Only For Knowledge Skills (-1)

32 The Magic's In The Music And The Music's In Me: Variable Power Pool (Magic Pool), 25 base + 7 control cost (38 Active Points); Side Effects (Extreme, Side Effects may be beneficial, completely different Power manifests than intended; -1/2), Variable Limitations (Incantations & Requires Incantations Throughout or Incantations & Delayed Phase) (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations -1/4) [Notes: Side Effects only occur if Magic Skill roll to change Magic Pool is failed.]

0 1) Chim Chim Cheree: Luck 4d6, Usable By Other (+1/4) (25 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Variable Limitations (-1/4) Real Cost: 17 [Notes: from Marry Poppins]

0 2) I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair: Teleportation 5", Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), Megascale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Usable As Attack (+1) (25 Active Points); Only Affects Men (-1), Variable Limitations (-1/4) Real Cost: 11 [Notes: from South Pacific]

0 3) There's No Cure Like Travel: Teleportation 1", x4 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), Megascale (1" = 10 km; +1/2), Can Be Scaled Down: 1" = 1km (+1/4) (24 Active Points); Variable Limitations (-1/4) Real Cost: 19 [Notes: from Anything Goes]

0 4) (You've Gotta Have) Heart: +10 PRE, Ranged (+1/2), Usable Simultaneously (x4 Number of Targets +1) (25 Active Points); Only To Defend Vs. Presence Attacks (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Variable Limitations (-1/4) Real Cost: 12 [Notes: from Damn Yankees]

0 5) Light Of The World: Sight Group Images, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Increases Size (32" radius; +1 1/4) (25 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), Variable Limitations (-1/4) Real Cost: 11 [Notes: from Godspell!]

0 6) Impossible! It's Possible: Transform 2d6: clothes into different clothes (Cosmetic), Improved Target Group (+1/4), Area Of Effect (1" Any Area; +1), Selective Target (+1/4) (25 Active Points); Limited Target (clothes; -1/2), Variable Limitations (-1/4) Real Cost: 14 [Notes: from Cinderella]

0 7) Getting To Know You: Telepathy 5d6 (25 Active Points); Receive Only (-1/2), Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Variable Limitations (-1/4) Real Cost: 11 [Notes: from The King and I]

0 8) Suppertime: Life Support , Eating: Character does not eat, Usable Simultaneously (x32 Number of Targets +1 3/4) (8 Active Points); Gradual Effect (5 Minutes; -3/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Variable Limitations (-1/4) Real Cost: 3 [Notes: from You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown]

0 9) Oh! What A Beautiful Mornin': Change Environment (clear weather) 1" radius, Long-Lasting: 20 Minutes, Varying Combat Effects, Megascale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) (25 Active Points); Variable Limitations (-1/4) Real Cost: 20 [Notes: from Oklahoma]

0 10) Human Again: Dispel Transform 8d6 (24 Active Points); Gradual Effect (5 Minutes; -3/4), Variable Limitations (-1/4) Real Cost: 12 [Notes: from Beauty and the Beast]

Powers Cost: 115

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

5 High Kick!: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -2 DCV, STR +5d6 Strike

5 Side Kick!: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +5d6 Strike

4 Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +3d6 Strike

3 Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike, Target Falls

4 Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 +1 HTH Damage Class(es)

Martial Arts Cost: 25

Cost Skill

8 Defense Maneuver: I-III

5 Magic (Power Skill) (INT-based) 14-

3 Acrobatics 14-

3 Acting 13-

3 Contortionist 14-

3 Oratory 13-

3 Sleight Of Hand 14-

3 Teamwork 14-

3 KS: Broadway Songs (INT-based) 13-

2 KS: Disney Songs 11-

1 KS: Atlantean Magic 8-

2 PS: Choreography 11-

3 PS: Dancing (DEX-based) 14-

3 PS: Singing (PRE-based) 13-

0 Language: English (idiomatic; Native)

Skills Cost: 45

Cost Perk

3 Well-Connected

3 1) Contact: Black Swan (Contact has: useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) (4 Active Points) 11- [Notes: mother]

3 2) Contact: the Master (Contact has: very useful Skills or resources) (4 Active Points) 11- [Notes: mentor]

1 3) Contact: Oppenheimer (Contact has: useful Skills or resources) (2 Active Points) 8- [Notes: parents' ally]

1 4) Contact: Vepero & Vespera (Contact has: useful Skills or resources) (2 Active Points) 8- [Notes: parents' allies]

Perks Cost: 11

Cost Talent

3 Perfect Pitch

2 Environmental Movement (no penalties on/in Wearing High Heels)

Talents Cost: 5

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Accidental Change: Things Happen If She's Not Careful Singing Songs 14- (Common)

5 Distinctive Features: Legs Up To There (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

0 Dependent NPC: Black Swan (her mother) 8- (As powerful as the PC; Useful noncombat position or skills)

0 Hunted: Black Swan (her mother) 8- (As Pow; Watching)

15 Hunted: The Undying Ka 11- (Mo Pow; Mildly Punish)

20 Hunted: DEMON 8- (Mo Pow; Harshly Punish; Extensive Non-Combat Influence)

15 Hunted: Morningstar 11- (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code Of The Hero (Common; Total)

10 Psychological Limitation: Searching For Prospero (her father) (Common; Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Unfamiliar With Magic (Common; Moderate)

5 Psychological Limitation: Allows Looking, Not Touching (Uncommon; Moderate)

5 Psychological Limitation: Attracted To Roguish Men With Goatees (Uncommon; Moderate)

5 Reputation: Legacy Heroine 8-

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Frequently; Major)

5 Social Limitation: Knows A Lot of Showtunes (Occasionally; Minor)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Background/History: You would think that the child of two superheroes - one Mystery Man, one Mystery Woman - would have had some problems growing up. However, for the daughter of Prospero the Magician and his lovely assistant Black Swan, life was charmed. Her parents had retired from superheroics when the House Committee on UnAmerican Activities drove most of the Mystery Men into hiding. So Cora had a normal childhood, a normal life in the suburbs, with her father the stage magician and her mother the dance instructor.

Of course, at home her parents told her all about their exploits with the other Mystery Men. She didn't really believe them when they told her of the Nazi zepplins or albino apes or immortal Scotswomen or demonic cultists or any of that stuff. If her father claimed to be descended from Atlantean sorcerers and her mother was a bit too into the martial arts, well, everyone's parents were weird.

Even though she learned her love of dancing from her mother, Cora wanted to be a Broadway star - dancer, singer, actress. She had gone to Broadway and gotten several good parts - when her mother called her home. Cora's father had disappeared - leaving behind his magic tophat and magic wand. Her mother said that old enemies had caught up with him, and when Cora picked up her father's wand and put on his tophat, she finally knew the truth. And she knew what she had to do.

With luck, pluck, and a few showtunes, she tracked down some of DEMON's minions who had been responsible for abducting her father. She gave them the old softshoe and the old hardshoe, and pretty much kicked their butts. But she did not find her father's whereabouts.

Her mother was aghast. She immediately sent her daughter off to the Master - if she was getting involved in superheroics, she needed to know what she was up against. The Master was aghast - this girl was using Prospero's magic wand to poke people in the face! And, worse yet, she had great potential as a sorceress - but she'd started using showtunes for her magic, and seemed unable to break the habit.

Personality/Motivation: Black Swan is an idealist - she fights the supernatural because it's the right thing to do, just like her parents taught her. She does not have any trauma in her life that has driven her to do what she is doing; in fact, she finds it difficult to understand people like that. (Although, if he has a goatee and a roguish sense of humor, she's probably attracted to him nonetheless...) She is not comfortable with magic, yet, but wants to learn more. This has made her unwilling to rely on magic, but unable to resist trying out new things with magic.

Quote: "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious? No, wait, that one's quite atrocious..."

Powers/Tactics: Black Swan is more comfortable in hand-to-hand combat than in relying on her unpracticed magical abilities. She prefers fighting opponents who are going to take too much notice of her costume - up until the point of her foot is in their face. She relies on the Tappa-Tappa-Tappa to make her more effective for a series of kicks. Against skilled hand-to-hand combatants she'll try the Razzle-Dazzle. Generally, she'll use the magic wand for the Hocus-Poke, rather than enhancing her attack with some Mumbo-Jumbo.

Her magical powers come into play out of combat. But she needs to sing an appropriate song to get the effect she wants, and the songs she choose sometimes have unusual and unanticipated effects (if she fails her Magic Skill roll to change her Magic Pool, the GM decides what power manifests). She uses her Magic Tophat and Magic Wand to help her focus her magic. Once she's found a song that does what she wants, she either needs to keep singing it (if the effect is Continuous or Persistent) or sing long enough for the magic to take effect (if the effect is Instant, she has a Delayed Phase).

Campaign Use: Black Swan is an ingénue - she is innocent about magic, and about the truth of what she has gotten herself into. Even so, her abilities and the potential of her magic means she can hold her own as part of a team. A good use for her in a campaign would be to counterbalance the gloomy outlook of heroes who are driven by tragedy or misfortune - parents killed, merged with demons, cursed with uncontrollable powers, and suchlike. On the other hand, Black Swan needs to learn that the real world is not as happy as in her musicals.

As a member of a team, Black Swan can be helpful because of the versatility of her Magic Pool - with the right songs, she can probably transport the team to trouble spots, and perform similar useful support tasks. She could cause a little problem for some of her teammates, though - the distraction because of her Legs Up To There affects anyone nearby who's going to notice such things. For the GM, she could definately cause problems - instead of relying on the player to write up her Magic Pool powers, the GM may be obliged to make up powers on the fly if her player decides to sing the Xanadu songbook. In such cases, the GM is free to decide "nothing happens" - particularly if the player cannot provide the lyrics to the song being sung. If new songs are decided in play, the player should write down their effects for later use.

As she learns more, Black Swan should first increase the power of her Magic Pool. Eventually, she might learn the real use of her father's tophat and wand. To make Black Swan more powerful in your campaign, increase her Magic Pool to 50 - 60 points, increase her Magic skill roll, and add some Skill Levels.

Plot Seed: When the player characters are fighting to foil DEMON's latest plot, Black Swan suddenly joins the fight. She is convinced that the plot is somehow related to her father's disappearance. However, in her zeal to find and rescue her father, she may miss something that would let DEMON succeed at whatever they are attempting. Can the player characters convince her to work with them, cautiously?

Plot Seed: Black Swan made the mistake of singing a love song, to herself, softly. Her magic has now caused her to fall in love with one of the player characters' enemies. Maybe Foxbat. She's not going to help him commit crimes, but she can't let him get hurt - he's just misguided, not evil! Every time the player characters come close to trapping their foe, someone nearby sings a song and he is suddenly healed, or teleported away, or thousands of doves erupt into existence and confuse the fight sufficiently for him to regain the upper hand. Can the player characters find Black Swan and convince her that her love is oh, so wrong - before their foe convinces her that it is oh, so right?

Plot Seed: There is a new, maverick superhero hunting supernatural monsters with his enchanted bow and magical arrows. He does not get along well with authority, does not work well wtih (most) others, and does not want to join the New Circle. Even though he keeps running into them while pursuing the same quarry. He is especially abrasive toward Night Hunter, although Black Swan seems smitten with him. Can the other members of the New Circle convince the two to work together to defeat a common foe - while keeping Black Swan's attention on the enemy, not the ally? And, yes, he probably has a goatee.

Plot Seed: Black Swan makes the mistake of trying "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo" out in a combat. She switches with alternate timeline Black Swans - none of whom notice anything amiss! The Master can probably put everything aright, but for the rest of the adventure, they're dealing with a succession of Black Swans: a Black Swan on rollerskates with legwarmers, who sings disco magic; a Black Swan who's African-American, with hotpants and a kickin' afro, who sings soul and gospel magic; a Black Swan in daisy dukes and cowboy boots, who's got a magic black velvet cowboy hat, and sings country music magic. 80s music Black Swan is likely to be interesting...

Appearance: Wears tuxedo coat with tails, high heeled boots, and some amazing fishnet stockings. Also wears her father's magic tophat, and carries her father's magic wand.

Cold IronAs I alluded to earlier, here's Cold Iron:Cold IronPlayer: Moody Loner

Val Char Cost
15/50 STR 5
15/20 DEX 15
15 CON 10
12 BODY 4
25 INT 15
20 EGO 20
15 PRE 5
10 COM 0
3/19 PD 0
3/19 ED 0
4/5 SPD 15
10 REC 8
30 END 0
30 STUN 2
6" RUN02" SWIM03"/10" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 99
Cost Power END
233 Cold Iron Structure: Suppress Magic/Mystic special effect 10d6 (standard effect: 30 points), all Magic/Mystic powers simultaneously (+2), Personal Immunity (+1/4), MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), AOE (One Hex; +1/2), Continuous (+1), Mobile (+1) (350 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) 0
32 Cold Iron Armor: Armor (16 PD/16 ED) (48 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) 0
22 Sorcerous Battery: Endurance Reserve (100 END, 15 REC) Reserve: (25 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) 0
17 Rune of Might: +35 STR (35 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) 3
8 Rune of Valor: +5 DEX (15 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Costs END (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (uses END Reserve) 1
75 Rune Magic : Variable Power Pool (Magic Pool), 60 base + 15 control cost, (90 Active Points); Requires A Skill: Rune Magic Roll (-1/2); all slots OIF (-1/2)
0 1) Rune of Binding: Entangle 5d6, 5 DEF (50 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 28 5
0 2) Rune of the Eagle: Flight 18", x8 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (57 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 38 2
0 3) Rune of the Angel: (Total: 53 Active Cost, 26 Real Cost) +20 PRE (20 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 13) plus Sight and Mystic Groups Images 1" radius, +/-6 to PER Rolls (33 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) (Real Cost: 13) Real Cost: 26 3
0 4) Rune of the Assassin: HKA 3d6 (4d6 / 6d6 w/STR) (vs. ED) (45 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 30 4
0 5) Rune of Darkness: CE 32" radius, -7 to Sight Group PER Rolls (48 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 32 5
0 6) Rune of Despair: Ego Attack 6d6 (60 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 40 6
0 7) Rune of the Unfettered Mind: Telepathy 12d6 (Human class of minds) (60 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 40 6
0 8) Rune of the Stag: Running 20", x4 Noncombat (45 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 30 4
0 9) Rune of the Mystic Hand: TK (30 STR), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (56 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) Real Cost: 37 2
0 10) Rune of the Mystic Eye: (Total: 34 Active Cost, 23 Real Cost) +5 PER with Sight Group (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7) plus Nightvision, Discriminatory, Analyze (15 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 10) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group (9 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 6) Real Cost: 23 0
11 Cold Iron Combat Augmentation Gauntlets: HA +5d6+1 (27 Active Points); HA (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), Side Effects: -2 to DEX checks involving fine manipulation, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) 3
7 Combat Speed Augmentation: +1 SPD (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)
18 Cold Iron Blade Shooter: RKA 1 1/2d6 (vs. ED), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), 32 Charges (+1/4) (37 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Costs END (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) 4
Powers Cost: 423
Cost Skill
24 +3 with All Combat
15 +3 with Multipower
6 KS: Style Of Magic: Magic Suppression (INT-based) 17-
6 KS: Style Of Magic: Runic Magic (INT-based) 17-
4 KS: Mystic/Magic World (Enemies) (INT-based) 15-
4 SS: Weapons System Engineering (INT-based) 15-
3 SS: Battlesuit Engineering and Design (INT-based) 14-
3 Inventor 14-
3 Mechanics 14-
0 AK: Campaign City 8-
0 Acting 8-
0 Climbing 8-
0 Concealment 8-
0 Conversation 8-
0 Deduction 8-
0 Native Language: English (idiomatic; Literate) (4 Active Points)
0 PS: Engineer (Everyman Skill) 11-
0 Paramedics 8-
0 Persuasion 8-
0 Shadowing 8-
0 Stealth 8-
0 TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
Skills Cost: 68
Cost Perk
10 Money: Wealthy
Perks Cost: 10
Val Disadvantages
10 Physical Limitation: Cannot Leap while in Power Armor (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)
15 Hunted: the Shogun 11- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)
5 DF: Mystic Power Sink (Concealable by taking off armor; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
10 Physical Limitation: Alcoholic (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
20 Physical Limitation: Emotionally Crippled (All the Time, Greatly Impairing)
15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity Frequently (11-), Major
15 Psych. Lim.: Must Protect Humanity from Mystic Threats (Common, Strong)
15 Psych. Lim.: Aggressively Fights Mystic Enemies (Common, Strong)
5 Psych. Lim.: Dislikes Mystic Races (Uncommon, Moderate)
15 Psych. Lim.: Blames Mystic Forces for Parents' Deaths (Common, Strong)
15 Enraged: When Innocents Endangered by Magical Threats (Common), go 11-, recover 14-
10 Reputation: Mystic Power Sink, 14- (Known Only To A Small Group: Mystic World)
Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 400Experience Required: 50Total Experience Available: 50Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 600

Height: 1.81 m Hair: Red
Weight: 82.00 kg Eyes: Blue
Appearance: Personality: Clark is emotionally scarred from the loss of his parents, and channels his rage and grief into action. Whereas a lesser man would have turned to evil, Clark vowed that no family would suffer the loss of a loved one to the dark forces of the supernatural due to his inaction, and has made good on that vow on several occasions.Quote:"Redcaps. Heh. Don't worry, ma'am, I'll get your child back."Background: When his parents died in an automobile accident, young Clark Campbell, a promising engineer, believed that malign mystic influences were somehow involved.

Perhaps he was unable to blame his father's alcoholism, as he was grappling with the same disease himself. Perhaps he found clues that the investigating officers and coroner somehow missed. Nevertheless, Campbell has devoted his life to protecting innocents from supernatural forces, that no one else may suffer as he did.

He threw himself into his studies, becoming an expert in powered armor and weapons design (some of which are used by UNTIL) before turning his attention to the mystic arts. Clark Campbell may be one of the world's premier experts on antimagic and magical suppression, and is expert in using many cultures' rune and written magics as well. Using his technological expertise and magical knowledge, he discovered ways to enhance the natural magic-dampening properties of cold iron, and incorporate them into a rune magic powered battlesuit, deciding that a technological suit would be too vulnerable to magical and technological disruption.

Powers/Tactics: Clark is a tenacious, aggressive fighter. He's well aware that mystic opponents will be able to detect his presence by sensing the magic suppression field of the armor, and he is not above researching tough opponents and scribing runes into the armor specifically to deal with them. Large numbers of weak opponents will get an area-effect Rune or a few sprays of cold iron blades, while tougher opponents get those attacks to soften them up before getting pummeled with cold iron gauntlets.Campaign Use: Cold Iron should be devastating against mystic opponents vulnerable to, well, cold iron. His rune magic provides some unpredictability, however, and although he hates magical threats and aggressively attacks them, his scientist's mind knows the value of research and preperation, making him a daunting opponent for a magical-based villain.

Although his magical suppression field knows neither friend nor foe, he shares goals with the Circle and the Quarter, and may be consulted by them in his Secret ID as an expert on antimagic and magical runes. Additionally, his powered armor designs are in use by law enforcement, including UNTIL, and he may be a Contact for a technologically-based hero or group as well.

Campaign Seed: Campbell discovers that several technological villains are using designs stolen from his work, and hunts them down one by one to reclaim his property. Villains used to fighting technological foes are in for a nasty surprise, while heroes may be wondering why Cold Iron has gone rogue or even if someone has stolen the suit.

Campaign Seed: Cold Iron's nemesis, the Daimyo, has obtained a mystic artifact of great power, and Cold Iron approaches the heroes for help. Will they be able to assist him with his armor weakening their mystic powers as well as his enemy's?

I didn't intend him to be this high a point level. Can't imagine why. It's not like the suppression field is, you know, expensive or anything.Once I've rested my mind a little, I'll make slots for the rune magic VPP. Generally, they're runes inscribed on the armor that draw mystic power from the suit's battery.Yeah, he's got END problems. Yeah, his armor's a little light for my taste, too, although I tend to over-defense my characters.[EDIT] Added some of Lightray's suggestions, namely improved his DEX a little and redid the Suppression field with MegaScale :)[EDIT AGAIN] Did up some slots in the VPP. Realized that it can take the place of all the systems a technological suit has that I didn't put in. Frightened myself. Seiously, though, I intended Cold Iron as an NPC for the higher-end Circle, but he should be able to fit anything from deus ex machina to misunderstood villain to major threat in the campaign, depending.

I didn't intend him to be this high a point level. Can't imagine why. It's not like the suppression field is, you know, expensive or anything.

Once I've rested my mind a little, I'll make slots for the rune magic VPP. Generally, they're runes inscribed on the armor that draw mystic power from the suit's battery.

Yeah, he's got END problems. Yeah, his armor's a little light for my taste, too, although I tend to over-defense my characters.

Well, for my campaign his defenses are pretty good (that's why the characters I posted tend toward the lower DEF values). His DEX is on the low end. His attacks are going to be huge, though - if he's suppressed ~30 pts. of their defenses and still doing 11-12 DC attacks.

It's that suppression field that's costing all the points, though. Do you intend to have it severely limit his opponent's powers in any fight? Or just to encourage them to move out 32" and shoot him at a -6 range penalty? Maybe you could shave off a few points by tightening down on the Radius, or by making it 1" Megascale (1" = 1 km).

His DEX is on the low end. His attacks are going to be huge' date=' though - if he's suppressed ~30 pts. of their defenses and still doing 11-12 DC attacks. [/quote']

That's the idea. He's supposed to be decent normally, dangerous against mystics, pants-crapping horrible against Unseelie fae :).

It's that suppression field that's costing all the points, though. Do you intend to have it severely limit his opponent's powers in any fight? Maybe you could shave off a few points by tightening down on the Radius, or by making it 1" Megascale (1" = 1 km).

I like to think I would have thought of that eventually. Revision time!

Guest bblackmoor

Thornmallow' date=' also known as The Iron Lich.[/quote']

I updated his Disads in accordance to some helpful comments you guys have made. Much thanks. I also revised his Quote:

"Very few people can be totally ruthless. It takes more strength than you might believe."

It's originally from Mr. Han, in Return of the Dragon, but I think it's a great line.

Guest Skaramine

I updated his Disads in accordance to some helpful comments you guys have made. Much thanks. I also revised his Quote:

"Very few people can be totally ruthless. It takes more strength than you might believe."

It's originally from Mr. Han, in Return of the Dragon, but I think it's a great line.

I liked Thornmallow enough to make him the professional rival of the Comte St. Germain, which is appropriate, since the Comte was more Diablo in his power set, with Doctor Doom flavoring in Int, Ego, Pre and certain skillsets.

Okay' date=' updated Cold Iron and revised the .hdc.[/quote']

Thanks ML, a very powerful and interesting NPC, or PC in a high powered game. Demon and the Circle of the Scarlet moon would be after this guys head in a straight CU:NC campaign; tough choice for some mystic characters as to which side to take. :D

Thanks bblackmoor. A well done Doctor Doom tribute.

Guest bblackmoor

I liked Thornmallow enough to make him the professional rival of the Comte St. Germain' date=' which is appropriate, since the Comte was more Diablo in his power set, with Doctor Doom flavoring in Int, Ego, Pre and certain skillsets.[/quote']

Something I have been thinking about in my game, which anyone else is of course welcome to use in theirs, is that Thornallow had a bitter rivalry with another student at the University of Ingolstadt, and that he still bears a vicious grudge against the great-great-great-great-great-great-grandson (or possibly daughter) of that rival: a super-scientist PC.