Exotic Methods for Executions?

L. Marcus

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Exotic Methods for Executions?

Sit them on bamboo shoot (yes, On and around) These grow up to a foot a day... sharp point. Asia and perhaps other areas.

Does this do anything? My experience with bamboo shoots is that they're very soft, just like the kind that come in a can. They grow really fast, but if you step on one it smushes.

Does this do anything? My experience with bamboo shoots is that they're very soft' date=' just like the kind that come in a can. They grow really fast, but if you step on one it smushes.[/quote']

Slivers of bamboo can be very painful when inserted under the fingernails and toenails.

Turn them into a zombie with a twist. Instead of being mindless undead with no will of their own, keep the mind, but still remove the will.

They're in there, they can sense their environment, and can feel everything that happens to them (including their slow rotting away), they just cant DO anything other than what they are commanded to do by the necromancer who 'created' them, or his designated proxies. (note : the zombie cannot be commanded to follow its own will... it doesnt have one)

The feudal Chinese were very good at torture and execution. Aside from the usual Death of a Thousand Cuts, there was also the Chinese version of the stocks, which was just a big square of wood that was fastened around the neck... and was so big that you couldn't reach your head with your hands. I've seen pictures of prisoners who were made to wear those for months. Chinese hanging involved a similar stock, only mounted on stilts, with the prisoner made to stand on a stack of planks so that he wouldn't hang. Then the planks would be removed one by one.

The Mongolians used to execute people by wrapping them in a blanket and then driving horses back and forth over them. Horses try not to step on people that they can see, but if you're obscured by a blanket, well...

I've also heard of another method of execution, which I think was Middle Eastern, where the executionee would be bound and laid on hard ground, and then everyone in the town would pour a couple of handfuls of gravel on them. Eventually the weight of gravel on the chest prevents inhalation.

And' date=' of course, in Nazi Germany (although the Nazis, for some strange reason, had no objection to lesbians), where Gays were among the groups of people (includign Jews, Gypsies and poltical dissidents) who wree sent to concentration camps to die.[/quote']

Actually, they did object to lesbians. They were often made to wear black triangles, the same way male homosexuals were made to wear pink triangles and Jews, yellow stars.* It wasn't the sex between two women that was the problem, it was the "anti-social refusal to contribute to society by bearing children" that the Nazis objected to.

In modern Israel, biblical law is not enforced in this regard and modern judaism is almsot universally opposed to the death penalty in all cases.

It isn't so much that "modern Judaism" is opposed to the death penalty, but rather that many modern Jews (mostly secular) are opposed to the death penalty. The Jewish Bible (the Old Testament to you goyim), is very much in favor of the death penalty. That you must execute murderers is the only commandment repeated in all five books of the Torah. Later, Talmudic (or rabbinic) tradition placed so many restrictions on it that they essentially removed the death penalty all together. The requirement of two witnesses and a warning is not in the bible anywhere. Nor is the claim that one execution in seven (or seventy) years constitutes a murderous court.

But back to the topic at hand: One type of execution that might make for an interesting situation in a FRPG is the kind where the victim must execute himself, or it's his own action that keeps him alive until he gives up, such as having his arms bound behind his back and hanging by his teeth over a precipice. How long can his jaw muscles hold out? This one is admittedly not too sick or disgusting, but I'm sure you can think of some that are, if you're so inclined. The sandpaper treadmill that someone mentioned earlier is one example.

*If the Nazis had managed to get all the way to Ireland, they probably would have made leprechauns wear orange stars, pink hearts, green clovers, blue diamonds,... I am ashamed of my own sick sense of humor. :hush:

It isn't so much that "modern Judaism" is opposed to the death penalty, but rather that many modern Jews (mostly secular) are opposed to the death penalty. The Jewish Bible (the Old Testament to you goyim), is very much in favor of the death penalty. That you must execute murderers is the only commandment repeated in all five books of the Torah. Later, Talmudic (or rabbinic) tradition placed so many restrictions on it that they essentially removed the death penalty all together. The requirement of two witnesses and a warning is not in the bible anywhere. Nor is the claim that one execution in seven (or seventy) years constitutes a murderous court.

1) If mishnaic and talmudic law "all but removed" the death penalty does that not mean Judaism took a strong position in terms of the death penalty - specifically, against the broad use of the death penalty - well over a millenia before modern Judaism even came into being?

2) The requirement of witnesses (plural) in capital cases is scriptural - since you're calling people goyim your Hebrew should be good enough to determine that from a simple reading of the original text - without talmudic assistance. Warnings, on the other hand, might require talmudic logic to see, though once you've gone through the argument its plain its inherent in the scriptural text itself.

3) No one said the assertion that a court that executed someone in a 7/70 year period was a bloody court was scriptural - its recorded in the talmud as being the sentiment of the Jewish people dating back - at least - to the period of Ezra.

4) Our people have never been sola scriptura. We have always had an oral tradition - it grew and evolved because that's what oral traditions and tribal traditions do. As such, whether or not something appears specifically in the written tradition or the oral tradition extrapolated from those writings doesn't change the authenticity (read: Jewishness) of the answer.

5) As for the value of avoiding the death penalty where possible, King David himself avoided it in one scriptural case - and several of the talmudic dictums regarding the adjudication of such cases rests in the proverbs and psalms. In addition, mishnaic and talmudic law did not rise up in a vacum over night. It was something that had evolved within the tribal paradigm since the tribe's inception. It was only written down at all because of persecution.

1) Fair enough, but I was talking more specifically about "Modern Judaism" and "Modern Jews." Not the same thing as Talmudic Judaism. In Israel, there may not be as much of a distinction as there is in America. Most Jews here are opposed to the death penalty for reasons that have nothing to do with Talmudic law. And the vast majority know little or nothing of either the Bible or the Talmud.

2) Interesting. I'm not arguing with you, but where is the witness requirement exactly, in the scriptural text? I don't remember any such requirement in either the Torah or the rest of the Bible.

3) Fine. No argument here. My only point was that not every Jewish interpretation agrees with the bloody court idea.

4) Again, no argument here, but it does change the disputability of the answer. And disputing a rabbinic ruling in favor of a biblical ruling is also no less authentic or Jewish.

5) Fine. Not a problem. Even God Himself avoided it in a scriptural case - when Cain murdered Abel he was not put to death.

Hmm... drawing and quartering. Drawing is pulling out the entrails, then the body is cut into quarters.

There was a variation on this I saw in a book on the Gunpowder Plot. Noose around neck, pull up to dangle for a bit, cut down before complete unconsciousness or death ensues. Chop off genitals, burn in front of victim. Then draw and quarter.

IIRC (I should check that book out again), the crowd took pity on one of the men being executed for that plot. During step one, they swarmed the execution site and pulled on his legs hard enough to strangle him before the rest of the process occured.

Guest WhammeWhamme

But back to the topic at hand: One type of execution that might make for an interesting situation in a FRPG is the kind where the victim must execute himself, or it's his own action that keeps him alive until he gives up, such as having his arms bound behind his back and hanging by his teeth over a precipice. How long can his jaw muscles hold out? This one is admittedly not too sick or disgusting, but I'm sure you can think of some that are, if you're so inclined. The sandpaper treadmill that someone mentioned earlier is one example.

Ah, yes. Reminds me... Wire Noose around neck, clothes removed, have them stand up on a block of ice.

lets just say the points are sharp, and they go right through...

Does this do anything? My experience with bamboo shoots is that they're very soft' date=' just like the kind that come in a can. They grow really fast, but if you step on one it smushes.[/quote']

Magically liquefy the victim's bones, then grab by the feet and beat into a nearby convenient stone wall.

Then just as they fall to the floor, make the bones hard again.

Speaking of bamboo:

In a dark room, tie executionee over a patch of new bamboo shoots, cast continual light spell on executionee, close door.

Speaking of continual light:

Cast Continual Light on executionee. The D&D version now has the spell slowly consume whatever it is cast upon.

Speaking of casts:

Place executionee in full body cast. Place a few roach eggs under cast.