Do you use the official Champions Universe?

nexus

• 1 month later...

Re: Do you use the official Champions Universe?

The PBEM game I GM uses a homebrew setting. I try to make homages to various comics and other appropriate source material. I incorperated material friends developed.

The PCs are the big hero group in the setting, and run around Avenger level in power.

There are three fictional nations:

* Al A'Maraj (lifted from On the Edge/ Over the Edge)

* Balistan, a second world nation working to develop an

industrial base, located on islands in the Indian ocean.

* Gilderham, a postage stamp European country best

noted for heroic restance to the NAZI menace back

in World War II, and for the weird science the Royal

family has acess to.

No SHIELD / UNCLE like international police or paramilitary agency. There is a US superagency, but they're not very effective due to interagency rivalries. Most every reasonably sized nation has a national government sponsered superteam. Some are just PR or maybe disaster relief types, others are super-thugs.

A couple of more or less friendly alien fleets over head. One's a benevolent, noninterventionist, but occasionally bad tempered super-race of time travellers from the future who act as sponsors for the big PC superteam. Kind of like having the Guardians of the Galaxy move in with you. The other is a bunch of one PC's relatives who are refugees from the losing side of an ancient starwar.

There was a thriving criminal traffic in clone slaves. This was suppressed by the PCs and other heroes.

At least two demonic invasions have occured.

The children of ancient mythical beings are trying to muscle into organized crime.

Oh, and an immortal villain has spawned an eccentric family of covert superbeings. Something like Amberites meet the Adams Family meet the Wold Newton families. At least one PC is a relative that went public.

- Robert Edwards

Robert, you've been a champions geek ever since I've known you. It's about time you started posting on these boards. :slap:

P.S. Can you guess who this is? (Hint: Fish hate me!)

Guest bblackmoor

3.5) No, but I use characters, organizations, etc from the default Champions setting from time to time, with modifications of various severity.

Actually, although I assumed that someone out there must use the default Champions setting, simply by the odds, I have never played in a game group that used it, across several states and at least a dozen game groups. It'd be like playing in the Marvel or DC universes: I know that there are people who do, I'm just not one.

Actually, I'd go even further with regard to Marvel and DC: most of the game groups I have played with pillage liberally from Hero sourcebooks, but I have rarely played with a group that even borrowed characters or organizations from the actual comics. That'd be like... well, let's just say I have a negative connotation with that practice.

I dont have the 5th Ed. CU sourcebook at all, but back in the 4th edition days, I didnt use the published campaign materials much at all. Maybe once or twice in really lazy weeks where I didnt properly prepare I'd lift a villain out as a one-off. I didnt incorporate them into my permanent setting, though.

Our campaign pretty much uses everything. We rotate as GMs.

The main GM's source-material and adventures are a mix of original and Champs stuff he finds on the internet, two of the other GMs create their own adventures and NPCs, another GM only uses published adventures and I tend to write my own adventures but with NPCs from all sources ranging from 3rd edition characters to San Angelo characters to ones on the internet.

So we pretty much have a mish-mash of everything.

Guest bblackmoor

Our campaign pretty much uses everything. We rotate as GMs.

... So we pretty much have a mish-mash of everything.

That describes all of the groups I have ever been part of, as well. We do each have our own preferred villains and NPCs, though. For example, in my current group, Lloyd runs Viper, I run Genocide (althogh I haven't run a Genocide game in a long while -- I find a little goes a long way), and another guy runs a group of mystical villains called the Circle Of Eight.

I should resurrect Genocide.

'Genocide?' That is a name used by the ignorant and the faithless to try and undermine our mission. I work for Project Genesis. The world is flawed, and the human race has become corrupted by idolators and aberrations. But we will make a new world, a perfect world, with humanity taking its proper place as the masters of the earth in the image of God. Genocide? Far from it. We are going to save the human race. You will thank us. You just don't know it yet.

I run a campy, over the top ultra-cliched game, so I only wind up borrowing those elements I feel can be easily camped up. COIL works great, but DEMON not so much (I use Cthulhu cultists in their place). The basic supervillains with strong motifs are definitely used, such as Ankylosaur, to provide generic superflunkies, but all the major villains are my own, except for Dr. Destroyer.

If I was running a less silly game, I'd definitely use the Champions Universe as is: it suits me fine.

No. I have my own world created back during the 3rd Ed. Some of the Champions villains are in the world, and there's Stronghold, and the organizations Primus, and UNTIL. Basically a hodge-podge of stuff we like mixed with home-brewed stuff.