Paranoid HERO

Nero's Boot

I just purchased Paranoia XP from Warehouse 23, and have been reading through it since Thursday. I've finished reading the setting sections, and now am ready to begin learning the rules. This game is everything I remembered from its 2nd edition incarnation: Funny, dark, and steeped in intraplayer treachery! :sneaky: But, also being a fanatic about HERO 5th, I was wondering if anyone had done any conversions for Paranoia, be it 1st edition, all the way through to the XP edition.

--The Computer is your friend, trust The Computer NB

Re: Paranoid HERO

Hmm....HEROs is kind of a heavy system for a light hearted game like Paranoia IMO.

But if you were to do it, I dont see what the issue would be. Buy Dark Champions, add in your own "ammo chart" for any non-bullet based guns, write up the whacky equipment on an as-needed basis, and get going.

The clones are no big deal -- I wouldnt even bother to stat it, since everyone has that ability. Just say as a campaign paramater that each character has X number of clones, track em, and carry on.

The system of Paranoia really doesnt matter. So long as players can screw each other over and do stupid things then its a wash.

I'm a die-hard HEROphile, but I wouldn't try a Paranoia conversion. The game would just not work well in the HERO system. Things need to stay fast and loose...realism and common sense take a definite back seat (if not disappear entirely) to humor and poetic justice. Also, HERO character creation makes characters, well...just too...good, I guess...too involved for the "darkly humorous future" of Paranoia. It's a fun, fun, fun setting (IMO, not really for my players, unfortunately), but one of the few that are not better served by HERO conversion.

Try it anyway, the way it's written. It's a nice "sorbet" for your HERO-drenched palate...just enough lighthearted, zany fun to recharge you for the meatier stuff.

I'm a die-hard HEROphile, but I wouldn't try a Paranoia conversion. The game would just not work well in the HERO system. Things need to stay fast and loose...realism and common sense take a definite back seat (if not disappear entirely) to humor and poetic justice. Also, HERO character creation makes characters, well...just too...good, I guess...too involved for the "darkly humorous future" of Paranoia. It's a fun, fun, fun setting (IMO, not really for my players, unfortunately), but one of the few that are not better served by HERO conversion.

Try it anyway, the way it's written. It's a nice "sorbet" for your HERO-drenched palate...just enough lighthearted, zany fun to recharge you for the meatier stuff.

What etherio said.

It is my firm belief (opinion) that to try and run Paranoia like a normal RPG would kill the zany spirit and goofy atmosphere. The whole point of Paranoia is to turn the typical roleplaying experience on its ear. PCs are supposed to screw each other over instead of cooperate, as in typical RPGs. If you have PCs going at each other's throat and you add in a complex rules' system, expect NOTHING but rules lawyering and powergaming at its very worst...

Just my 2 cents.....

I'd echo what etherio and Bozimus said, with an additional point. Paranoia uses a d20 for task resolution where HERO System uses 3d6. Under almost any other circumstances I'm with the 3d6 bell curve any time. It's more predictable, and in most circumstances more realistic and thus more believable than a d20 type linear probability. However, in Paranoia its predictability is only likely to detract from the wacky unpredictable anything-can-happen-at-any-time tone. The d20 means that even the most competent players will tend to fail on a regular basis, much more apt for Paranoia.

Having said that, if you decide to do it anyway I'd build PCs according to the guidelines for Incompetent Normals (i.e. -25 Base points + 25 Disads), or at best Standard Normals (0 Base points + 25 Disads) since that's pretty much what Paranoia PCs are (although the term Incompetent Abnormals might be more appropriate). From there, things should be pretty straightforward. The only powers PCs should have are their Mutant Powers, and those should come with mandatory Activation Rolls, and probably Side Effects.

The following is traitorous material to have, burn before reading.

Ok, what you need is a very stripped down Hero system. First, throw out the Speed Chart, and realize that everyone goes on a random DEX or the same DEX or whatever. Ok, throw out normal damage. Everything does Killing. Hell, tripping over your own feet is bound to cause at least 1D6 killing unless you are very lucky. Hex maps should be thrown out as well. You are always too close to dangerous stuff and too far to help your friends, just deal with it.

Armor is, let's say, 5 DEF Armor, Act on 12-. Unless you are wearing bulky gloves (hard to use hands) and a helmet (hard to see) and wearing boots (hard to be quiet). The Computer might think you are not happy if you wear too much armor. You might even wear thicker armor, but that might make you tired and the Computer wants you to be happy, this could result in the Computer insisting that you not wear any armor.

Even then, you might have cheap armor, and the Activation is only 8 or less. Above all, don't rely on the armor, it doesn't even protect against the higher security stuff anyways. However, it provided 100% Damage Reduction to things of equal or lesser security rating, as long as it hits wear the armor covers. Realize most weapons do an extra die of killing damage, just because they are from the Future and are more deadly than modern age counterparts.

Mutant Powers are easy to translate, but remember, they don't always work as they should. This could be an additional side effect or plain user error. Using a mutant power is almost always a user error in judgement.

Feel free to give Contacts for practically nothing. Remember that the Computer provides everything one needs, so using Contacts might make the Computer think you are doing something illegal and no one would ever do anything illegal.

The Computer might give you Perks. Rejoice, for it is a prilivage and a duty and not simply a way to be someone else's scapegoat. Believe this.

The Computer would give you Skills, but that takes time and the Computer is always backlogged...er...has higher priorities to deal with. If you have Skills, they are low, or you have lost a clone and realize that self-training is always an option.

The Computer can give you Gadgets, R&D will assures you that all Gadgets are safe and any and all Side Effects are completely user error.