Name help requested for an idealistic archer

Guest xHazard

Guest xHazard

I'm working on a character for Corven_Ren's Knights of New LA campaign and I've run in to a snag. I've got his background basically worked out, his powers mostly done, but I for the life of me come up with a good superhero name and i was hoping you all could give me some advise.

The campaign is set in the future, a Blade Runner-esqe world where the US suffered a coup and has become a very different place. My character, Thomas, grew up with stories his parents told him, stories they had been told about how the government used to be, fairy tales about things like "Liberty and justice for all." His father, a Native American taught him some survival skills, including the bow, and his mother taught him sciences and mathematics.. Thomas picked everything up very fast, and soon was a much better shot than his father. Fast forward a few years, and he is in New LA going to school, and he's very bothered by all the crime and the poverty and the total dispare he sees around him. He vows to not just sit back and watch, not to watch from the sides and complain, but to do something, to revive that dream he's only heard about in stories.

Re: Name help requested for an idealistic archer

Off the top of my head:

Fletcher

Long Bow (or Long Beau if you're into innuendos) :angel:

Long Shot

The Bowman

The Marksman

The Huntsman

Quick Bolt

If you choose to go the Native American heritage route:

Motega means "new arrow," but I can't recall which tribe it's from...

Enapay is Sioux for "one who is brave"

Kohana is Sioux for "swift"

Ouray means "arrow", but don't know the tribe...

Hope this at least helps inspire you!

Try not to wince, but . . .

Tomahawk ?

I don't know what powers you were looking to do, but it is still a ranged weapon, so as long as you weren't doing the "Green Arrow" trick arrows thing, it could still work.

And it would be a bit less common than an archer.

Other Ideas:

The Native American ( this could indicate both his heritage, and desire to return to "American" values )

The American Spirit

Raven

Coyote

Thunderbird

Just some ideas,

KA.

Trueman

Freeman

Free Bird

Justice

Just US

The Last American

American Spirit

American Eagle

American Archer

Amerarcher

ArchAmerican

Freedom's Bow

Free Arrow

The Eagle

Eagle Eye

Mister Pointy

The Pointalist

Name?! Name!?! I got a frickin' bow here! You talkin' ta ME!?!?

Guest xHazard

Thanks for the replies all. I wasn't planning on using his Native American heritage, mainly it's just background, but I might rethink that.

And even though it was a joke, I kinda like Shaft :) No really. In his normal life he's pretty quiet and keeps to himself, but while he's out in costume he's a completely different person. He gets that bad-ass attitude going and gets a little cocky.

Plus, its funny.

Guest xHazard

It's been done' date=' and do you really want to remind people of Rob Liefeld?[/quote']

His bow didn't even have a string. How do you have a bow with no string? Even with the whole "anti-gravity tech" explination of there's it still doesn't make sense. Eek! And people wonder why I avoid Liefeld like the plague.

Still, I'd almost use it out of spite.

Guest bblackmoor

Wolfshead - it sews up the outlaw' date=' Robin Hood, and Native American bits in a nice package[/quote']

I was tryingto think of a Robin Hood tie-in, too. I can't think of anything that hasn't already been done to death, though.

In such cases, I often use a hero name which has nothing in particular to do with the character's powers or origin: I often choose an interesting place name from myth or legend.

Guest xHazard

Well, thanks for all the replies. It was a tough decision, but I said "the hell with it" and went with Shaft, Liefeld be damned!

He he is, for anyone who's interested.

Shaft

Player: D

Val Char Cost
20 STR 10
27 DEX 51
15 CON 10
15 BODY 10
20 INT 10
20 EGO 20
20 PRE 10
10 COM 0
7/15 PD 0
6/12 ED 0
6 SPD 23
7 REC 0
48 END 9
33 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM04" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 153

Cost Power END
20 Uncanny AIm: Find Weakness 11- with Bow 0
14 Layered Polycarbon Suit: Armor (8 PD/6 ED); OIF (-1/2) 0
3 Domino Mask: Nightvision (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) 0
8 Earpiece Communicator: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group) (10 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) 0
7 Grapple Gun: Swinging 10", x4 Noncombat; OAF (-1) 1
37 Micro-Tech Bow and Quiver: Multipower, 60-point reserve, 32 Charges (+1/4); OAF (-1)
2u 1) Basic Arrow: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6; Beam (-1/4) 3
4u 2) Blunt Tipped Arrow: Energy Blast 9d6, STUN Only (+0); Beam (-1/4) 4
5u 3) Kevlar Edged Arrow: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2); Beam (-1/4) 6
6u 4) Explosive Tip Arrow: Energy Blast 9 1/2d6, Explosion (+1/2), Nonselective Target (-1/4) 6
5u 5) Electro-Static Shock Arrow: Energy Blast 8d6, No Normal Defense (Force Field; +1/2); Beam (-1/4) 6
3u 6) Micro-Mesh Net Arrow: Entangle 4d6, 8 DEF; Entangle Has 1 BODY (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) 6
4u 7) Phospherous Flare Arrow: Sight Group Flash 6d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2), Nonselective Target (-1/4) 4
5u 8) Smoke and Chaff Arrow: Change Environment 8" radius, -6 to Sight Group PER Rolls, -6 to Infrared Perception PER Rolls, Multiple Combat Effects 5
Powers Cost: 123

Cost Skill
0 Acting 8-
3 Breakfall 14-
3 Climbing 14-
0 Concealment 8-
0 Conversation 8-
3 Deduction 13-
3 Electronics 13-
0 Language: English (completely fluent; literate)
3 Language: Gutterspeak (completely fluent)
3 Lockpicking 14-
3 Mechanics 13-
1 KS: American History 8-
3 AK: New LA 13-
0 Paramedics 8-
0 Persuasion 8-
2 PS: Student 11-
2 SS: Micro-technology 11-
2 SS: Metallurgy 11-
3 Security Systems 13-
3 Shadowing 13-
3 Stealth 14-
1 TF:Personal Hovercraft: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
3 Weaponsmith (Arrows, Bolts, And Darts, Muscle-Powered Ranged) 13-
4 Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with Bow
10 +2 with Ranged Combat
Skills Cost: 58

Cost Perk
10 Money: Wealthy
Perks Cost: 10

Cost Talent
6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
Talents Cost: 6

Total Character Cost: 350

Val Disadvantages
20 Hunted: Enforcers 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
10 Hunted: Local Street Gangs 11- (Less Pow, Harshly Punish)
15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)
20 Psychological Limitation: Altruistic (Very Common, Strong)
20 Psychological Limitation: Believes in the dream of the Old USA (Common, Total)
15 Psychological Limitation: Reluctant to Kill (Common, Strong)
15 Enraged: When innocent people are harmed (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11-
10 Dependent NPC: Joseph and Mary Anne Tyler (Parents) 8- (Normal)
15 Dependent NPC: Helen Caulfield (Girlfriend) 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)
10 Reputation: Hard Edged Hero of the People, 11-

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Guest xHazard

Background

Thomas Jefferson Tyler was born to an unusual home. His father was a Native American, a member of the Cayuse tribe. His mother was a noted scientist and professor. They lived outside of Portland, using his mothers money and his father skills in the wild to live a life as much away from the government as they could. Both of his parents had a deep resentment for the government, and they instilled in there son the belief that it shouldn't be like this, nor was it always. They told him stories, stories they had heard themselves, nothing ever written, just passed on. Stories of the Old United states, a land of freedom for all. They named there son after one of the men in the stories, Thomas Jefferson.

As Thomas grew they soon realized that he was special. He learned quickly, picking up science and mathematics from his mother and skills such as stealth and survival from his father. A natural athelte, he excelled in all sports, though he didn't play them often. At 8 his father introduced him to the Bow. Thomas's father Joeseph hated guns, all he used was the bow, and so that it what he taught his son. By 11 he was as good as his father, by 15 he was better, and by the age of 18 when he left for college Thomas's skill with a bow was without peer. He left for New LA and for school, and soon dicovered a far different world than the one he was used to. The city was a strange place, but he adapted. It bothered him, some of the things he saw, the poverty, the crime, the sense of dispare that hung in the air. He came to a discision there, he decided that he wasn't just going to sit back and watch, to sit on the sidelines and complain. No, he was going to do something to change this world. Something drastic. He had learned a lot from his father, and he had gotten very good at making his way through the city unseen. That along with his knowledge of engineering and micro-technology and his skill as an archer gave him all he needed.

Personallity/Motivation

Thomas feels that he has a responsibitly to do all that he can to 'fix' things, to make the world like it was in his stories. "Liberty and Justice for all." That was what he heard, and damned if that wasn't what he was going to try and provide.

Thomas is a quit guy, keeps to himself, and has a very sarcastic sense of humour. When he goes out as Shaft though, he changes. He gets more of an attitude, a little cocky and lot more aggressive.

Appearence

Thomas is a very athletically built young man. His dark brown hair is kept short and his face clean shaven. As Shaft he were a black sleeve-less uniform with various belts and pouches, a black trenchcoat usually over top. His quiver is on his back and he wears a custom made black domino mask with built in nightvision.

(Anyone who's read the Ultimates, imagine Ultimate Hawkeye with slighlty longer brown hair and a mask.)

I'm working on a character for Corven_Ren's Knights of New LA campaign and I've run in to a snag. I've got his background basically worked out, his powers mostly done, but I for the life of me come up with a good superhero name and i was hoping you all could give me some advise.

How about... Talon

Ah, I guess I'm too late to suggest a name... :)

How about... Talon

Ah, I guess I'm too late to suggest a name... :)

Yes, yes you are. :tsk:

KIDDING!! :D :D

But seriously, welcome to the boards, btw. I hope you find someone to game with up there. I've always wanted to visit Alaska. But if there're no HERO gamers...brrrr!