"Essential" Graphic Novels / Trade Paperbacks

Greatwyrm

Re: "Essential" Graphic Novels / Trade Paperbacks

From Marvel... The Exiles... Currently seven different GNs, and really solid Marvel stories that don't have to worry about continuity, because they are all about alternate dimension travel. Great stuff... great characterization, but the art gets "eh" later in the series.

I definatly second this one. I've been reading it from the beginning and it is great. Think superhero Sliders.

I picked up Kraven's Last Hunt. It was decent, but not on par with Dark Knight Returns.

I also got Avengers Kree-Skrull War. It stunk.

Picked up Spider-Girl. I thought it was decent - A good treatment of 2nd generation supers.

I'm picking up a bunch of Essential X-Men soon, maybe today.

Ironically enough, my feelings about comics are a lot like yours. In fact, I only started reading them about 6 months or so ago. I started really enjoying our super villain champion game and picked up a few graphic novels to get quotes from, and well its snowballed from there. I’m definitely going to be writing down the various titles suggested here.

So, my knowledge is based on a good background of superhero movies and cartoons and a couple hundred dollars worth of graphic novels picked up at random or on the recommendation of comic book retailers.

A lot of the What If comic books are fun to read. While they aren’t out in graphic novel form, each of them stands on its own. Some of them didn’t make any sense to me because I was unfamiliar with the event they changed. But if you pick the titles carefully, its easy to find ones that are based on events you will remember from cartoons/movies etc. AVOID the ones that are titled What If and then just a name, rather than a title with an event in it like “What if Storm had remained a thief.†The What Ifs with just a name came later in the series and instead of being about what if an event when differently are about putting the character in a much darker world. They are depressing, and mostly equate to killing off characters in new and supposedly interesting ways. (Mind you there may be exceptions, but I think I enjoyed maybe one of the What If names of the ones I tried.)

The DC universe also has an alternate universe series called Elseworlds. But, due to the fact that comic book store owners seem to steer me away from those, I’m assuming they aren’t as easy for a neophyte to understand or enjoy. However, I did pick up “Superman, Red Sonâ€. Its premise is a what if Superman had landed in Communist Russia rather than the US. It is good and definitely is understandable even if you just have a very basic knowledge of Superman’s history.

The Exiles series is another alternate universe series and somewhat resembles Sliders or Quantum Leap. It stands on its own and I’ve enjoyed it enough that I’ve picked up every single graphic novel so far.

I’d also suggest at least looking into the Ultimate universe series. They are more iron age than the original stories and they do make changes to the way you picture some of the characters. But, a lot of the books are fun to read. And more importantly, it is a chance to start in an all new continuity where you don’t need to know decades worth of back story to understand what is going on.

I’m not sure that its definitive, but X-Men Children of the Atom was a neat look at how the X-men were initially formed. Personally, I didn’t much care for Scab and I’ve enjoyed others more, but I don’t feel like I wasted my money buying it either.

Runaways is a new relatively new Marvel series and looks to be a neat concept. Its about a group of kids who find out their parents are super-villains and run away from home and try to stop them. I’m planning on continuing to buy it.

Another new series that seems to be fun and that you don’t need a background in comics to understand is “Common Grounds.†Each of the books contains one or two short stories about the more personal aspects of being a hero. For instance the first one contains an interview with a speedster about what his life is really like and an amusing conversation in the men’s room between a hero and a villain. And you can read them in any order you want since each story is complete in and of itself.

On the other hand, I’d suggest being cautious about picking up graphic novels from the “Extreme X-Men†or “Uncanny X-men.†They seems to be the current X-men series and while they may well be good, they lost me very quickly. Apparently over the years a lot of new characters, that never were on TV or in the movies were introduced AND a lot of other characters changed in ways that I’m not sure I like. Rogue and Gambit apparently don’t have powers any more. Storm is crippled. Etc.

I’ve also had very bad luck with DC novels in general, at least thus far. The Justice League series may well be good. I’ve noticed a few people have recommended them. But they are HARD to get into and I honestly wish I’d not bought them. They seem to contain a lot of characters I don’t recognize and I think you need to have a good background in the DC world to really understand what is going on. If you do get them, make sure not to get them out of order. That may be one of the reasons I disliked them so much. I wasn’t able to get number 1 and just started with one at random.

On the be careful side, be wary of Batman graphic novels. It seems as if the Batman of the comic book world is quite a bit different from the batman of the cartoon and movie world. So far I’ve had very bad luck in finding Batman comics that I enjoy. And especially watch out for the “Arkem Asylum†one. I wasn’t even able to finish it. The art and text formatting gave me a pounding headache before I was half way through it.

And while its not a Superhero comic, if you like Fairy Tales at all, take a look at the Fables graphic novel series. I’ve enjoyed the first three and am planning to pick up more later.

On a more general note, I’ve discovered that most comic book store owners are more than happy to make suggestions and will try to steer you to stuff you will enjoy. After all, if you like the stuff you buy, you’re likely to come back. Also, as one of them told me and it is true, pick up the stuff that “caters to the masses†and that the hard core critics don’t like. If it “caters to the masses,†you probably won’t need a decade worth of experience to understand what is going on.

I'd add "Camelot 3000"and "Watchmen"to the list if no-one else has !
Heh, I loved C3000 when it first came out, but soured on it when I re-read it :/

I'd recommend:

Any Hellboy TPB; I can't think of a bad one

Any copy of Concrete, but especially The Complete Concrete

For retro silver-age goofiness, try Madman.

Edit: :stupid: How could I forget Gaiman's Sandman run?

And now for something completely obvious.

It's not a super-hero graphic novel, but I cannot reccomend Signal to Noise by Gaiman/McKean enough. It's one of those comics you show to people who don't think that comics can be either literature or fine art.

the first couple of Powers TPB were very good.

JSA: The Liberty Files, is a really good pulpy elseworlds book. completely self-contained story.

Dunno if there are TPBs of all of these series, but look for them:

any George Perez/Marv Wolfman Titans

Grant Morrison's Animal Man. Can't believe no one brought this up yet.

Formerly Known as the Justice League - Giffen/De Matteis/Maguire. Ditto.

JLA: A new beginning - Giffen/De Matteis/Maguire

JSA: The golden Age. James Robinson - Paul Smith.

JSA TPBs. Geoff Johns

Teen Titans. Geoff Johns.

Anything with Kurt Busiek, Geoof Johns or Mark Waid on it.

Kingdom Come.

There's a reason those Marvel titles are called Essential. ;) Get them.

ANYTHING Astro City.

Dark Knight Returns

Watchmen

Astro City

Alan Moore's Supreme

Marshal Law: Fear and Loathing

Batman: Year One is excellent, though very similar to DKR

Dark Phoenix Saga and Days of Future Past are the best X-Men TPBs but not in the same league as the stuff listed above.

Crisis on Infinite Earths and Marvel Super Heroes Secet Wars are well written and showcase the majority of DC and Marvel's characters if you want an intro. Neither TPB is in the top tier but both are a good fun read.

Though many posters have recommended Kingdom Come and Camelot 3000 I don't think much of either. In both cases the story is far inferior to the artwork.

Superman/Batman: Generations and Generations 2

I don't care if it's John Byrne, it shows how a really good Champion's game can be run long term from one character to another.

Young Justice: Sins of Youth

Fun fun fun...Todd Nauck is a great artist for kids (I hate the fact he has to "draw down" for Teen Titans Go). Teen Titans may show Superboy, Robin, Wonder Girl & Impulse/Kid Flash being serious superheroes, YJ showed them as what they ARE, Teen Heroes acting like Teens.

Avenger's Forever

I know it's been bought up before, but it's Busiek trying to get all the old Avenger's stories to fit HIS vision of what they should. Cleared up some things and destroyed others. Read it only if you've been an Avenger's fan for the last 20+ years.

X-Men: Age of Apocalypse (Gold Covers)

Not sure if they've been discussed but I loved the way this storyline messed with the X-Universe. Xavier dead before he formed the X-Men, so Magneto creates them as a dying wish. Everything goes to hell in a handbasket after that with Apocolypse controlling the U.S.A. and humans as cannon fodder to the mutant rulers. Really showed an intresting "alternate universe"

Superman: The Byrne Years

Yeah yeah, more Byrne. Reprints the Superman books from the Mid-80s, not just Byrnes but Wolfman's/Ordway's as well. 3 volumes so far, starting with Byrne's Man of Steel and then moving to the normal series.

The Essential Iron-Fist

Between this and Shang-Chi:Master of Kung-Fu you have enough to build a decent Ninja Hero style campaign.

On the be careful side' date=' be wary of Batman graphic novels. It seems as if the Batman of the comic book world is quite a bit different from the batman of the cartoon and movie world. So far I’ve had very bad luck in finding Batman comics that I enjoy. And especially watch out for the “Arkem Asylum†one. I wasn’t even able to finish it. The art and text formatting gave me a pounding headache before I was half way through it.[/Quote']

Some of the Batman graphic novels aren't too great, and I've never read the Arkham Asylum one, so I can't comment on that, but some of them are absolutely terrific.

I unreservedly recommend:

Batman: Year One

Batman: The Long Halloween

Batman: Dark Victory

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns is also a very good read and groundbreaking, although tastes may vary on that one.

Astro City is incredible.

I'd vote for the Planetary graphics, too. But, if you don't have knowledge about the 'history' of comic-dome. The alternate amalgrams may slip under the radar and some of the glory that is Planetary will be lost to you.

Astro City is incredible.

I'd vote for the Planetary graphics, too. But, if you don't have knowledge about the 'history' of comic-dome. The alternate amalgrams may slip under the radar and some of the glory that is Planetary will be lost to you.

At least pick up the first trade (if you can find it) and look at the way Wildstorm did the Pulp hereos from the 20s...their version of Tarzan, Doc Savage, Flash Gordon, The Shadow and a few others.

I am a huge fan of America's Best Comics (originally written entirely by British Alan Moore.) Top 10 is my favorite, as a Hill Street Blues with Superheroes. Lots of superheroes. Even the bums in this city have superpowers. The freakin' mice have superpowers.

I would recommend 300 by Frank Miller. Some may argue that Leonidas and the Spartans aren't superheroes; I respectfully disagree.

My wife is not steeped in comic lore and she loves Planetary. Get those. And if you like the thought of Mission: Impossible with a NC-17 rating, Warren Ellis' Global Frequency is tough to beat.

Get PS238. This is probably the best superhero comic out there. It is about a secret elementary school attended by superhuman children. While it could be played for slapstick (and funny things do happen,) it's a very humanistic book. Dash, Jack Jack and Violet Parr (The Incredibles) would go here if they could, and they would fit right in.

I am a huge fan of America's Best Comics (originally written entirely by British Alan Moore.) Top 10 is my favorite, as a Hill Street Blues with Superheroes. Lots of superheroes. Even the bums in this city have superpowers. The freakin' mice have superpowers.

My favorite ABC comic is Terra Obscura. Spun out of a Tom Strong adventure, these two six issues mini-series (second series in the middle, right now) stand on their own. Probably some of the best "updated Golden Age style heroes" stories I've ever read. While I do love Top 10 as a "great read" I also judge things on a "how well would this translate into a game" element, and Top 10 in my opinion works only as a literary vehicle, not a good RPG environment (WAY too silly for that.)

Terra Obscura, OTOH, is perfect. It is an alternate earth's JSA style heroes, caught in limbo for years, returned to a modern world that has moved on. They try to fit right back in, and work alongside children of their own and peers. It has a sense of "legacy" and time passing that other comics ignore. It shows the world has changed, but not so much that heroes don't have a place. It is a wonderful blend of the nostalgic and modern, with great dialogue and character building. First mini-series is out in a single TPB. Get it!