The "Whoops" Thread

Blue

Re: The "Whoops" Thread

In one of the earliest Champions games I ever played' date=' the supergroup used a city bus for transportation. It was also their base. They were subsidized by the city, but you know how strapped for cash most cities are...[/quote']

:rofl: With my group's humor, I'd have to offer up the little bus first. :D

In my campaign's last game session, we discovered the hard way -- when the heroes were trying to motivate a panicked mob to get out of the danger zone in an orderly fashion -- that no one had bought /any/ Influence skills. They eventually had to resort to Presence Attacking the entire mob to panic, just panic in a different direction. It... mostly worked.

My current campaign's player characters have no vehicle and, for the longest time, had no base. After a while, the vehicle thing became a non-issue since one character developed the ability to create teleport gates across the planet. The base became a running joke; the Champions saying "We'll run one over to your base... oh, that's right, you don't have one" and so on. They now have a volcano base in the Pacific, with a standing teleport gate to Millennium City.

They also have no mentalist to speak of (Mosquito can "whisper in peoples' ears" to get some info) and had little or no Mental Defense for a while.

In one of the earliest Champions games I ever played' date=' the supergroup used a city bus for transportation. It was also their base. They were subsidized by the city, but you know how strapped for cash most cities are...[/quote']

One of my favorite NPCs from Normals Unbound (a 4th edition supplement) was the cab driver who was trying to pitch his opera about the life of Elvis. My players hated him. Too bad for them only one of them had significant movement powers... and a 5 STR.

The initial make-up of the St. Louis-based Guardians was a density-based Brick' date=' a flying Brick, a regenerating alien Brick, a Martial-Artist and a flying Energy Projector. A bit of a lack of ranged abilities.[/quote']

Heh. Your team should have joined forces with our original St. Louis team, "Omega". Our original rouster was 3 flying energy projectors, one hi-COM & hi-PRE skill character (no attacks, just Presence Attacks), and a four-armed alien with a baseball bat.

The latter two got pwned by Mechanon while all the flyers were dodging and sniping. So they were replaced by another flying energy projector, and a metamorph.

Alas, the metamorph was largely ineffectual, and after the unfortunate Giant Tapeworm Incident, was no longer around. He was eventually replaced by a mentalist (finally!).

Who flew and had telekinetic blasts. oy.

Our hero team was confronted by a superpatriot vigilante team that was convinced that we were doing something that was contrary to the best interests of the United States of America...

...I looked around the table and noted that not ONE of the PCs present was an American citizen...and less than half could be considered even vaguely 'human' or 'human based'...

oy...

Thanks to Ain't It Cool News for the exact quote (I remembered it, but not exactly)

Spiderman wishing he had the respect afforded Captain America:

"Sheesh! People are falling all over themselves to help Cap.

Why couldn't I have been bitten by a radioactive apple pie?"

Every time players want to assemble the usual squad of freaks, this comes to mind. :)

KA.

In my campaign's last game session' date=' we discovered the hard way -- when the heroes were trying to motivate a panicked mob to get out of the danger zone in an orderly fashion -- that no one had bought /any/ Influence skills. They eventually had to resort to Presence Attacking the entire mob to panic, just panic in a different direction. It... mostly worked.[/quote']

Not True. Nox has insanely high intimadation, she just didn't want to panic them worse. ... of course, given that her alternate on this world is in "Top three scariest people", she has a point. (Character concept is shadow manipulator. Scary and creepy, to an insanely high point.)

Our very first superhero team, still relatively new, like 75 xp or less I think, is running out of a villain team base. Why? It's blowing up due to self-destruct if memory serves me - it's been a long time.

Everyone is saying while running through the base things like:

"Let's find a way out of here."

"Let's find a jet or something."

"Yeah, he's gotta have something to move all this equipment in here."

"I'll take anything so long as we don't get blown up."

It's obvious what their intent is and everyone knows it. They finally find a large helicopter, get in and... someone FINALLY decides to ask:

"Um, does anyone know how to pilot this thing?"

Well, as they say, necessity is the mother of invention. They made it but crashed upon landing. Still one of the funniest things the players (myself included) ever did.

Our very first superhero team, still relatively new, like 75 xp or less I think, is running out of a villain team base. Why? It's blowing up due to self-destruct if memory serves me - it's been a long time.

Everyone is saying while running through the base things like:

"Let's find a way out of here."

"Let's find a jet or something."

"Yeah, he's gotta have something to move all this equipment in here."

"I'll take anything so long as we don't get blown up."

It's obvious what their intent is and everyone knows it. They finally find a large helicopter, get in and... someone FINALLY decides to ask:

"Um, does anyone know how to pilot this thing?"

Well, as they say, necessity is the mother of invention. They made it but crashed upon landing. Still one of the funniest things the players (myself included) ever did.

Very funny! :rofl:

Reminds me of the current team in my campaign. They have been supplied by a super-tech Trans-sonic VTOL Jump Jet, which requires a specific TF. Of course, they knew this prior to creating their characters, but no one bought the TF. So, they are getting ready to respond to their first call to duty, and the question gets asked, "So, who can fly this thing?" (silence fills the room) :think:

Hmm "Team Zenith3", despite being in an "alternate" U S A that was very patriotic/nationalistic didn't have trouble with nationalistic U S heros. We thought that we were going to once, but we ended up having to rescue the U S heros, who turned out to be all right guys (one of whom went on to run against the sitting U S president (Joe McCarthy !) in an election. I believe that we had one U S member of the team but the others were from such far flung places as Britain, New Zealand, Italy and Denmark. The team was originally set up to cover most of the "bases" of a super team. (Flying energy projector, brick, magician, gadgeteer, telekinetic, martial artist) and even with changed characters and players we still had most of the bases covered when the game ground to a halt.

"Um' date=' does anyone know how to pilot this thing?"[/quote']

:snicker:

This reminds me of a time when our Tri-City (aka New York City) team invaded Dr. Destroyer's island. We had beaten up a patrol and the strongest brick picks up an energy rifle to use against another patrol coming our way (we weren't exactly a subtle team). She misfires (rolled a 17 or 18) and the GM decided she switched the weapon to fully auto and let loose with every charge left in the weapon, destroying nearby objects.

My character, the weapons expert, asked her (after getting up from the ground where he dove for cover) basically "What the hell did you do that for?" Her response was pretty much "I didn't mean to; it's not like I know how to use one of these things."

My character banned her from using any firearms until he'd trained her.