I destroyed my CKC...on purpose

Boll Weevil

Yes, i did it. I recently got a new toy at work. My new copier also scans documents into PDF files. I so very wanted to have a PDF of CKC that I carefully unbound My Precious and sacrificed my favorite Hero Sourcebook to the electronic beast. The output is delightful. I now have a PDF of CKC I can print, open in Photoshop and bookmark. Hooray.

On a sadder note, my hardcopy book is no more. 120 or so loose pages. I thought about 3-hole punching and placing the pages in a binder. Any other ideas on how to put Humpty back together again?

Re: I destroyed my CKC...on purpose

On a sadder note' date=' my hardcopy book is no more. 120 or so loose pages. I thought about 3-hole punching and placing the pages in a binder. Any other ideas on how to put Humpty back together again?[/quote']

No clue how to fix it, but Steve & Co. wouldn't mind you buying another flawless, brand-new copy to replace it. :D

Zounds that was fast.

It's a Xerox office copier shared by many cube farm denizens. Are you asking the model number? I can find out when I go to work tomorrow. I can fax to/from it, print to it and scan into TIF, PDF or whatever. Between that and the humongous plotter, the company is just begging me do game stuff instead of building a better floor cleaner.

No clue how to fix it' date=' but Steve & Co. wouldn't mind you buying another flawless, brand-new copy to replace it. :D[/quote']

Aye, tis true. When the newness wears off of my shiny new electronic copy, I probably will buy a new one.

Thank goodness the giant soap company gave me a computer with some RAM. The PDF is 239 pages of pictures, not text. It is a gigantoid file. Maybe I will play around with the OCR program.

Well, you can always have it rebound. Not sure what pricing is like on those...but it might not be too bad. My library has every single paperback book rebound with a hardcover (paperback sized hardcover books). The process also transfers the coverart etc (front and back) onto the new hardcover.

You know...I should ask them who does it for them. I could get all my Hero books hardcovered. Then I would be THE SHIT. I'm drooling. Heh. How cool would THAT be?

Well, you can always have it rebound. Not sure what pricing is like on those...but it might not be too bad. My library has every single paperback book rebound with a hardcover (paperback sized hardcover books). The process also transfers the coverart etc (front and back) onto the new hardcover.

You know...I should ask them who does it for them. I could get all my Hero books hardcovered. Then I would be THE SHIT. I'm drooling. Heh. How cool would THAT be?

A hardcovered CKC and an electronic copy? I just peed a little.

I'm a bit too much of a bibliophile to ever desecrate a book in such a manner.

Desecrate?

Is it desecration to put some fly rims on a caddie? I think not!!

Is it desecration to dress some hot young number in frilly underthings? Again, I say not!!

Is it desecration to add surround sound to your 52" tele? Triple not!

Is it desecration to add armour to your battle-bound battle-van? Pish posh, certainly not!

Is it desecration to trim the 'down below' into humourous shapes? Sheer tom-foolery not!

Is it desecration to add weinies to your beans? Yeah...ok...bad example.

'Tis not desecration fair Knight of Hero, 'tis improvement, additives and armouring!

A copy shop should be able to take those loose sheets and put a plastic comb boinding on them. Everyone I know had their 4th Edition rebound' date=' since its binding was so bad in the first place.[/quote']

True and combing (eg velobinding) is cheap. Going from a glue bind to a velobind might be problematic. Glue bindings don't always allow enough left margin to translate to another binding scheme...but it's definately worth a shot.

I had a couple ShadowRun books velobound. One lost some left most characters (1 or 2), but even then it wasn't too bad. It was still readable since you could extrapolate from context etc.

Rebinding your books with a hardcover is VERY EXPENSIVE [at least, from the figures I've seen from the library where I work at]...I'd say you're just better off going to Kinko's or any other copy place and have your book rebound with a plastic comb. I think many copy places also do bookbinding, so if they can cut you a deal for a hardcover, then by all means look into it.

Do what I did with my BBB: get a coupla hundred polypockets and stick them in an A4 ringbinder. Not only do you preserve the original pages, you make 'em splashproof, too!

And if you get a binder with a display pocket on the front, you can even slip the cover into it.

My wife had her Master's thesis hard bound. I won't reccomend her binder though, as they were very slow and uncommunicative. Kinko's usually has a wide variety of binding options. I re-bound my GURPS basic book years ago with a clear cover and a plastic strip holding the pages. Spiral bound would be cool, as you could lay the book open anywhere.

As a side note, when 4th ed was all there was, I bought a copy of the pdf version. I opened it up in acrobat and cross-indexed the snot out of it. I miss that.

Keith "Mr. Adviso" Curtis

I just printed and had bound all of my Digital Heroes recently.

I'd recomend taking the parts of your CKC to Kinkoes and they will easily be able to bind it.

I recomend getting the spiral bound (Plastic covered metal wire) over the Comb binding, the spiral is much sturdier.

If you get a black vinal back plate and a clear plastic front plate it'll run you $5-6 to have it rebound. I think you'd be very pleased with the results.

TB

P.S. About the library rebinding thing. I inquired about this several years ago when I was at Purdue, at their library, and it only becomes economically feasible when you are having many, many books rebound. Otherwise it'll end up running you $30-50 per book for hardcovering it.

Actually, I always buy an extra copy of books I expect to use a lot during character creation (the core rulebook, the Ultimate books, the USPD, etc.) and books that I might want to photocopy pages from for personal use during games (like CKC). Then I take one copy to Kinkos, have them cut the binding off, and get it coil-bound (spiral bound). That way, I can lay these books flat on the table so I can refer to them easily while using Hero Designer or whatever.

I also get my Digital Hero issues coil-bound, three months worth at a time.

It's all reasonably priced. IIRC, the cost of getting H5E de-bound and then coil-bound was only about $5 or $6 total, for both the cutting and the binding.

I used to bind my DH 3 to a book, but then I got access to a color laser printer (heh, don't ask ;)) and reprinted all of my issues (25 at the time) and bound them 5 to a book. I find that to be a better magazine to book ratio. Not as many spiral bound books to look through (since they don't have titles on the spine this is an issue, for me at least)

TB