Hooray for Newbies! why are you suddenly here?

Jhamin

Re: Hooray for Newbies! why are you suddenly here?

I've owned various HERO books for a while; I now have a number of campaign and one-off games bouncing around in my head which could work with a number of systems. I've used d6 Adventure for a few pulpy games recently but wanted something grittier and more detailed to work up one or two of my stranger ideas. My long love affair with GURPS ended more or less the moment I picked HERO up, so here(o) I am ...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest voodoo54

If you mean by newbie, new to this board, yes. But I've been playing Hero games off and on for over 10 years now. Like most other places, most people up here play D&D so I joined to get good Hero gaming information from fellow Herophiles to help make my campaigns better and convert more players to the wonderful world of Hero.

I just picked up the Hero system and WOW am I amazed. This is great. You can make whatever character you want. They allow you to do anything. So I was wondering if you guys could help me make Wolverine, only the coolest superhero ever. It would be sooo great to run a champions game where I could play Wolverine and kick everyones butt. It would be just like my character in City of Heroes. The fighting system seems a little complex, so I'm thinking about starting my group out with a simpler version, one more like D20. What do you think?

Signed,

Just another Newbie

By the way, I don't really think you all are like that.......

Your self-flogging has been sent to you via Federal Express. Please administer immediately upon receipt.

:D

John T

I'm here because Sidekick led me here. After getting 5ER in the mail a few days ago, I am pumped and happy to be a Hero fan. I am generally a fan of rules-lite, cinematic games, but Hero pulled me in. With Sidekick, I saw the elegance of the system, and understoof why people were such fans of it. Now I read here to grasp the intricacies of my new chosen subject. I am in the process of selling my GURPS rule books (though not the supplements; damn finest in the galaxy).

So, here I am, a newbie. Be gentle with us. Be kind to us. We are new fans, not dumb ones. On RPGnet there were a few folks who felt the need to let me know I wasn't as smart as them because I found HERO difficult when I read the old 5E, but then was able to get things with Sidekick. I hope, nay, I pray, that we newbies will not be so chided here on HERO's own boards.

Let me also say that I'm glad there are lots of people putting their creations and stuff on the boards - good for a newbie like me to see. :)

Good to see you here, Mencelus!

Actually, I think you'll find that the folx on this board are some of the friendliest to "newbies" that you'll encounter in gaming. The very existence of this thread shows how interested we are in newbies. So, dive on in, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. ;)

Guest bblackmoor

I am pumped and happy to be a Hero fan.[/Quote]

Yay!

I am generally a fan of rules-lite' date=' cinematic games, but Hero pulled me in.[/quote']

Same here. Have you seen Risus? It's free (and no replacement for Hero, heavens forbid), but very cool nonetheless.

I am in the process of selling my GURPS rule books (though not the supplements; damn finest in the galaxy).

GURPS makes great source material. The current incarnation of Hero Games is doing very well in that regard, though.

I hope' date=' nay, I pray, that we newbies will not be so chided here on HERO's own boards.[/quote']

Stay out of the Non-Gaming Discussion and the Hero Designer forums, and you'll be fine. :)

On RPGnet there were a few folks who felt the need to let me know I wasn't as smart as them because I found HERO difficult when I read the old 5E' date=' but then was able to get things with Sidekick. [/quote']

That's iodicy!! It's difficult to learn an active task by reading. There is the whole disjoint between the written word and action that each person will read the text with a slightly different connotation.

Roleplaying books are even worse. I haven't seen any RPG yet, that upon reading the first time I had questions or was unclear about something.

Them's putzes.

We are a fairly friendly crowd. Some of us more than others. Feel free to ask all the questions you want...I'm sure we will have a couple-thirty answers for you!

Have no fear all, I'll be asking plenty once I get around to designing some stuff. In fact, I imagine most questions revolve around designing stuff (characters, equipment, elongnated candies, etc).

Anyway, I'm glad to see the positive responses to my post already. A friendly crowd is what I need most, really, especially as I plan to intro HERO to my group in a few months (after we finish up our current campaign and a few planned one-shots with other stuff we're playing).

As for Risus...I've herd good things. I'll check the link and dive in. Always looking for a new system to play with (is why I'm hppy to have my 5ER!).

Ciao all, and will be asking you silly things soon.

Well, I'm not a Hero newbie..but a newbie to these boards. Does that count?

I"ve played Hero since, well, it was Champions and the staples rusted.

I've not gotten to play as much 5th edition as I liked. One brief Star Hero like setting; then another short campaign of The Morrow Project (another oldie but goodie) using Hero. Made a lot of characters, read a lot more...and waited, patiently.

But now, at long last, I've got a stable RPG group on hand, a time we can all make, and a good place to do it. I'm replacing Fred, grabbed HD2, clutching my precious sourcebooks..and I'm back in training as a GM.

Seeing that the old haunts of usenet are quite a bit less active, I realized it was time to really jump on board here.

In the meantime, my group has one other players with Hero experience, and 5 newbies. I'm herding the flock in.

Now, quick question--which forum would be the most appropriate for discussing campaign building? I'm trying to balance out by desire as a gM to leap right in guns blazing..and realizing I need to guide the newbies in. All have RPG experience, but most don't have superhero RPG experience, so I'm hoping to bounce ideas off others to make this campaign cater to them from the start.

Guest bblackmoor

which forum would be the most appropriate for discussing campaign building?

I would suggest one of the Genre forums, depending on what genre you are intending to play. You might also find it useful to do a search for "GM tips" (set the search to look for thread titles, rather than the entire message).

And welcome! :cheers:

I would suggest one of the Genre forums, depending on what genre you are intending to play. You might also find it useful to do a search for "GM tips" (set the search to look for thread titles, rather than the entire message).

And welcome! :cheers:

I'll second that. Lots of ideas, tips, and other stuff can be found.

And welcome. Most of the people are friendly and when they're not, we tend to smack the rude one.