Hooray for Newbies! why are you suddenly here?

Jhamin

I've noticed an unusual number of Hero Newbies showing up on the boards over the last couple weeks, asking questions and sorting things out.

Don't misunderstand me. I an thrilled everyone is trying out Hero and hope I've done my share to help folks out.

I'm just curious as to why the big uptick?

We usually get one or two self-proclaimed newbies every month or so, but it seems like there have been a half dozen in just the last week. The last time I noticed such a big upswing was just after Sidekick came out.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Hooray for Newbies! why are you suddenly here?

I've noticed an unusual number of Hero Newbies showing up on the boards over the last couple weeks, asking questions and sorting things out.

Don't misunderstand me. I an thrilled everyone is trying out Hero and hope I've done my share to help folks out.

I'm just curious as to why the big uptick?

We usually get one or two self-proclaimed newbies every month or so, but it seems like there have been a half dozen in just the last week. The last time I noticed such a big upswing was just after Sidekick came out.

It might be a positive side effect of the large variety of HERO products on the store shelves including Fifth Edition Revised.

More shelf space means more visibilty. Hurray HERO!

HM

I was unemployed and needed something mindless to do in my copious free time. So I joined the boards and entered into the NGD discussions... :doi:

Seriously, I also recently became interested in HERO again, having an old copy of the rules stored away somewhere. I've also had a lonely copy of Star Hero sitting on my bookshelf for a while now, and so I ordered some more books to keep it company, including 5ER. I hope to start designing some cool SF stuff when it all arrives. Since I don't have a group to game with, I'll probably just post whatever I do on these boards for the benefit of others. I'm sure it'll be useful to someone, even if it ends up being an example of how not to do something!

I had Champions back in the early 90s. My friends and I went through a stage of trying out almost every RPG that was on the shelves -- Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Gurps, Rifts, D&D, Cynnibar (anyone remember that one?), Earthdawn, Warhammer, TMNT, Vampire, etc etc.

In '96 I moved out to San Diego and consequently lost contact with my gaming buddies. I moved back to Northern VA, got married, and earlier this year I was finally able to track one of them down. Sure enough, they were still gaming. Unfortunately, it was almost all d20.

So it was only natural that I began to look into that status of some of my preferred gaming systems, and Heroes certainly fits the bill. I was especially excited to note that 5er was right around the corner. My sister offered to pick it up for me for Christmas (since I'm the toughest person to shop for).

So now I'm patiently awaiting the moment when I can pull it out for my friends, and begin creating characters. Since I'm bringing the system to the table, I'm sure I'll be designated to GM. But that's fine by me... I'll remind them what the Heroes system is capable of... :)

I think it has to do with more and more people being slowly brain drained by the all powerful D20 system....Slowly' date=' they will see the light =P[/quote']

Now, D20 does have its place in the world... :jawdrop:, but it really is best for a certain style of play. One has to really search hard to find fiction where a hero can go from a newb to one of the most powerful entities on the planet in a matter of months... and without already having that power at the beginning of the story!

HERO (and other point-based rather than class-level based systems) is far superior in the way characters grow... you just can't get that much better in a short amount of time... XP gives you an additive growth... not exponential

Guest bblackmoor

Cynnibar (anyone remember that one?)...

Ah, Synnibar. The game where every shopkeep was a retired 50th level character, and you could get equipment like "Radioactive Black Sunstone Armor". The creators of EverQuest were obviously fans.

Ah' date=' Synnibar. The game where every shopkeep was a retired 50th level character, and you could get equipment like "Radioactive Black Sunstone Armor". The creators of EverQuest were obviously fans.[/quote']

Exactly! I don't remember much about the actual mechanics of the game, but I remember it pushed around large (100k plus) numbers for stats and damage rolls.

Guest bblackmoor

Re: The plane of Elysium is not responsible for misuse of the Ultimate Cake

I can't do anything for you about the coffee' date=' though.[/quote']

A Really Big Cup Of Joe: Aid 6d6 END, 1 continuing charge (30 minutes), OAF expendable.

Guest bblackmoor

Re: The plane of Elysium is not responsible for misuse of the Ultimate Cake

If you make the charges recoverable he can have his cake and eat it too. :snicker:

Now that's clever. :)

Why am I here?

I was running a d20 campaign and it was getting very tedious, so I wanted to try something new. I wanted a flexible rules system, and was thinking of running something in the Sci-Fi genre. I had it narrowed down to GURPS and Hero and was already leaning towards Hero, but what sealed the deal for me was the quality of the Star Hero book.

This was about a month ago, and so far I couldn't be happier with the Hero System.

Dave

I just picked up the Hero system and WOW am I amazed. This is great. You can make whatever character you want. They allow you to do anything. So I was wondering if you guys could help me make Wolverine, only the coolest superhero ever. It would be sooo great to run a champions game where I could play Wolverine and kick everyones butt. It would be just like my character in City of Heroes. The fighting system seems a little complex, so I'm thinking about starting my group out with a simpler version, one more like D20. What do you think?

Signed,

Just another Newbie

By the way, I don't really think you all are like that.......

I've had a long time love for comics and RPG's, and especially comic based RPG's. I never got around to getting Hero System until recently though. Been playing the MMORPG City of Heroes, but find the system incredible frustrating with the restrictions to allowable powers. Decided to pick Hero System up and am glad I did. Now if I could just find people to game with.

Guest bblackmoor

Now if I could just find people to game with.

Check out the Player Finder forum here on the message boards. I am always amazed at how far-flung are the people who post here. Maybe someone from around here will be in your neighborhood. Stranger things have happened.

I've been playing hero since 2nd edition fantasy hero(roughly 15 years) and I did a little writing back in the Adventurers Club Mag days. I got ahold of Steve Long about a year ago pitched some ideas he found kind of groovy but got this huge promotion at work so I couldn't commit time to writing a book. My work load is finally settled down so I decided to at least join the community online that has kept me gaming for almost two decades.

RPJesus

Gents please note that RPJesus is a bold claim, but Jesus is actually my middle name, a sick joke played on me by my parents. It also happens to be an amusing association of words my friends in college had thrown together many years ago. It is not meant to sting or mock religion and my most humble apologies if it is percieved as such.

RPJ

..Gents please note that RPJesus is a bold claim' date=' but Jesus is actually my middle name,..It is not meant to sting or mock religion and my most humble apologies if it is percieved as such.[/quote']Oh, what sad times, when passing ruffians force newbies to make disclaimers such as this. There is a pestilence on this land.. [yadda yadda]

*ahem* Welcome, all :)