You called Animal Control???

Blue Jogger

Ok, I'm in a bit of a bind. My players have defeated 12 dire wolves (14 feet tall from muzzle to toe) and rendered them deeply unconscious. So, the game wraps up with one of the players calling Animal Control. Now, these creatures have viciously attacked one person (he died before help arrived) and they attacked the party when they encroached on their territory (after one of them told two of the party members to go away and all six of them return suddenly in a tight group).

So when Animal Control shows up, what the heck do they do?

Option 1: Put down the beasts. The humane way is lethal injection, but these are dire wolves, would using multiple shotgun blasts to the head really be out of line? There's a safety factor to consider. :bmk:

Option 2: Attempt to keep them in cages until they can be released into the wild. :straight:

Option 3: Conviently ignore the call. "Guy says that they defeated 12 dire wolves in central park." "Ignore it, if it isn't a crank call... I don't want to answer it." :eg:

Re: You called Animal Control???

Ok' date=' I'm in a bit of a bind. My players have defeated 12 dire wolves (14 feet tall from muzzle to toe) and rendered them deeply unconscious. So, the game wraps up with one of the players calling Animal Control. Now, these creatures have viciously attacked one person (he died before help arrived) and they attacked the party when they encroached on their territory (after one of them told two of the party members to go away and all six of them return suddenly in a tight group).[/quote']

I have a question. It sounds like the Dire Wolves actually spoke in a recognizable language. If they are actually capable of human style speech, potentially demonstrated human level intelligence, are there any groups that might protest them being treated the same as feral animals (assuming that the press or some other appropriate witness percieved the event)?

Guest WhammeWhamme

I have a question. It sounds like the Dire Wolves actually spoke in a recognizable language. If they are actually capable of human style speech' date=' potentially demonstrated human level intelligence, are there any groups that might protest them being treated the same as feral animals (assuming that the press or some other appropriate witness percieved the event)?[/quote']

Yeah... depending on campaign law, they might jail the ones that actually killed people/attacked people who weren't attacking them...

Knowing the NYCPD (and extrapolating what they'd be like in a world where there WERE such a thing as dire wolves), I suspect that while individual members of the force would like to avoid the call, police brass would catch holy hell when the papers got hold of the story that the cops didn't respond to the call.

Frankly, I figure they'd go in loaded down with lots of armor and something that would take these wolves out with one shot. I'd hate to be a bystander--or an animal rights activist...

Ok, a couple of clarifications (thanks for the replies, BTW!).

There is no Stronghold in the game. The spark that created magic, superheroes and everything else, started five years ago and now "the lid has been blown", and now there is chaos as things are "awakening" from the magic-dead winter.

One of them spoke via the party telepath. The telepath had great difficulty communicating his message across, the wolf had great difficulty explaining the importance of scent markings. They can stand upright about as well as a bear, but they prefer to walk on all fours. They are about as smart as your typical sixth-grader to teenager depending on the subject matter.

Well, if they're capable of that level of thought, they're obviously sentient. Anybody with a Code vs Killing should be interfering with any attempts to kill them as best they can. Convincing anybody ELSE of their sentience may be the trick; hopefully your telepath can rig a link between a city official and a direwolf to prove it.

This, basically, means either prison or exile to some wilderness (what little wilderness there is remaining) where they won't live near people.

Besides, you know someone, somewhere, is gonna wanna study these guys!