Ultra Low Start Campaign

Super Squirrel

I've been designing and even playtesting a fantasy campaign level of extremely low proportions. The powerlevel is so low, that this version literally becomes pen and paper. You do not need Hero Designer at all to make characters and using it actually slows down the character creation process.

Character creation is simple:

Start all attributes at 8 instead of 10. Now build at 0 + 10 disadvantages. You can only spend points on skills, attributes, perks, and talents. You get 100 SP starting cash.

Here is a sample character:

Tyler Dirshaw

S 9

D 10

C 8

B 8

I 8

E 8

P 8

Co 8

SPD 2

0 PS: Locksmith (other everymanskills not listed)

3 Lockpicking

1 WF: Bows

XP Earned 3, Spent 1

Currently, I'd only allow humans because of how I'm running the campaign. But to do other races, I would be package deals with an equal amount in disadvantages as well as advantages.

Magic is run a little different. Players must by WF (in this case Wand Focus) for the elemental system they want. I have four designed. They then must pay starting cash for both a wand and a spellbook. The wand provides all END for spells and recharges each day. They can cast any spell they have the END for that is also in their spellbook. That way the magic system is inexpensive and also not overpowering. Wands that regenerate faster or have more of an END reserve can be found or purchased later as well as high powered spells can also be discovered.

So far my testing has found this game very balanced and very enjoyable. I ran a mock combat between two PCs and a bandit and then again two PCs and a band of 5 bandits. The combat went very well and was extreme quick.

Re: Ultra Low Start Campaign

I'm still working on the webpage, and will not likely get much done over the next week but you can find what I have so far here:

http://aldaric.org/easthaven/

I have about 70% of an adventure written up.

My campaign is set in a town that has become forgotten from the rest of the world. As the game progresses, the world expands and races will become accessable.

Essentially -25 Base +10 Disadvantages for a Total -15 points. Even less than "Incompetent Normal." Sounds like fun!

A few of the best AD&D 2nd ed. games were ones where the characters started out as non-classed, 0 level individuals with 1d6 hit points. We got the idea from a module (I don't remember the name now) where the characters started the game in the surf of some unknown island after the slave ship carrying them wrecked in a storm. Something satisfying about raising your characters from marooned, escaped slaves to powerful heros (0 level nobodies that eventually reached somewhere around 15th level).

Over Christmas break, my wife and I had a huge discussion over the magic system. I took her recommendations and my preferences and came up with what I feel is a fairly balanced system.

In order to cast any spell, you must first be able to access that type of magic. You must spend a point for a WF equivalent for using spells of the category type (Healing, Wind, Ice, Fire, etc...) then you can either use spells of that type from a spellbook or, you can buy spells as a 1 point SF. You have to have access to the spell before you can buy it, so it means early characters can't use Fireballs, but characters can play characters who don't use Spellbooks.

My wife, for example, is going to play a Sprite based character which is the first non-human race. The thought of a Sprite carrying around a spellbook is, of course a bit silly.

Guest The Comet

Hi there, this is similar to a campaign I'm working on based on an Arabian Nights theme. The PC's are all very young, 10 years old or thereabouts. Starting stats begin at 8 instead of 10 as well a few disadvantages, but only a few since they are so young. They didn't really need much in the way of skills either because, lets face it a ten year old wouldn't have many. PC's are street urchins, rogues and beggar boys etc that have been recruited by the Thieves Guild. The Brotherhood of Ishtar al saari. (Doesn't make sense but sounds cool.) Anyway the idea is they complete a scenario and get a few more experience than normal and next time they play they will be a year or so older. We roleplay with a few hero system roleplayers but the younger ones are only familiar with warhammer, hence the low point starts. Makes it easier for newbies and me as a GM since we average about seven players a session.

Have you started running your campaign yet?

Also when you start out low xp and equipment gets much more valuable. In one warhammer game I played in (with hero rules) I played a zelot built on ten points plus disadvateges. he changed from adventure to adventure and then he found a platemail and suddenly he was like ten times as though as before.

It was fun and I suport your idea. But be prepared for sudden changes in playercharacters power level.