Military Hero

Silver

I'm interested in any Hero resources for small scale modern warfare. A friend of mine is interested in playing a Vietnam-style game similar to revised RECON, the old Palladium game. It wouldn't be too much trouble to come up with some package deals to simulate military training, but if someone knows of anyone that's already done this, I'd like to take a look. Googling didn't turn up too much.

Re: Military Hero

I'm afraid I'm not aware of many modern-day military Package Deals freely available on the Internet. Probably your best bet for the kind of stuff you want would be the new Dark Champions genre sourcebook. Unlike the previous edition of DC, this one is designed for any type of modern-day adventure gaming. It has a fair number of military Package Deals among the numerous ones included, plus scads of firearms and some excellent advice on this kind of campaign. Here's a link to a description of the book:

http://www.herogames.com/Products/DC.htm

If you anticipate substantial use of military vehicles - tanks, choppers, fighters etc. - you might also take a look at the HERO System Vehicle Sourcebook, with lots of pregenerated ones for all eras:

http://www.herogames.com/Products/HSVS.htm

You can also find detailed reviews of these and other Hero books here:

http://www.herogames.com/Products/reviews.htm

I hope that's helpful. There are a few places I can think to look for suitable Package Deals; I'll check into that and get back to you. :)

Okay, Silver, I scoured a few websites and found some Package Deals that should give you a start on your characters. These are all from sci-fi HERO games, but they're for near-future military characters and should be easy enough to adapt. At the very least they'll give you an idea of what abilities the characters should or could have.

Here are military packages from the 2300 AD RPG.

This is a Stargate Command Operative PD from Stargate SG-1.

Here you'll find the Mobile Infantry Trooper from the Starship Troopers novel.

Vietnam War HERO

One question I would have before doing a search for references is the power level of the game. Do you want elite troops such as Rangers or Green Berets, or are your PC's grunts running thought the jungle, draftees essentially trying to just do their jobs and stay alive long enough to get rotated home?

Elite characters who be at a higher point level and could justify higher skill levels. But the draftees, though not quite as competent, also provide excellent opportunities for character-based roleplaying. Troops in Vietnam faced many more obstacles than just the Viet Cong and the NVA. many of the soldiers also had battle things like drug addiction, trauma, and hearing about what was going on at home as the world seemingly unraveled around them.

Okay, Silver, I scoured a few websites and found some Package Deals that should give you a start on your characters. These are all from sci-fi HERO games, but they're for near-future military characters and should be easy enough to adapt. At the very least they'll give you an idea of what abilities the characters should or could have.

Thanks, I appreciate the links. Now you have me salivating over source books. :)

One question I would have before doing a search for references is the power level of the game.

We haven't quite decided, but the characters will probably be on their second tour, not exactly FNGs, but not too experienced either. I'm thinking that the characters will choose their MOS and some kind of specialty (both from available package deals) as a kind of base, then fill in their characters background and disads.

So for basic infantry training (the base package everyone gets), I'm thinking:

Ability

Climbing

WF:Small Arms

Familiarity w/ Demolitions

Familiarity w/ First Aid

Familiarity w/ Navigation

KS: Army

KS: Friend/Foe weapons and vehicles

PS: Soldier (for digging fox holes and stuff)

Tactics

Disads

5 DF: Soldier

10 Hunted: Army 8- More Powerful, NCI, Watching

Then comes MOS package deals, and any extra background stuff the players work into their character's background. This is all just a rough idea, so far...

Another good reference is an old Vietnam POW rescue mission source book from Firebird Ltd called "Here There Be Tigers". It discussed training, equipment, package deals, weapons, and a campaign style adventure. It is out of print I got my copy from Noble Knight Games. They are listed in the Online Retailers section of this website.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a template i use for sniper in my mercenary campaign. I will write template for Pigman, Grenadier, Medic, Intelligence, Pointman and Pilot in the futur.

Captain Custer

Cost Power

2 Running +1" (7" total)

9 Variant Ultimate Stealth, Weak II: Change Environment 1" radius, -8 to Normal Sight PER Rolls, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (28 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Only When Not Attacking (-1/2), Requires A Stealth Roll (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2)

8 Strong Accuracy: Sniper's Eyes: +8 vs. Hit Location modifiers with Firearms (Only when shooter braces and/or sets (-1))

Powers Cost: 19

Cost Skill

16 +2 with All Combat

2 KS: The Military/Mercenary/Terrorist World 11-

2 KS: [Military Force] History And Customs 11-

6 Survival (Arctic/Subarctic, Tropical, Desert) 11-

5 Tactics 12-

3 WF: Small Arms, Knives

0 Acting 8-

0 AK: Home Country 8-

0 Climbing 8-

0 Concealment 8-

0 Deduction 8-

0 Language (basic conversation; literate) (2 Active Points)

0 Persuasion 8-

0 PS 8-

0 Shadowing 8-

1 TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

Skills Cost: 35

Total Character Cost: 54

Pts. Disadvantage

5 Distinctive Features: Uniform (Easily Concealed)

10 Hunted: Patron of the mercenary force character belongs to 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

20 Social Limitation: Subject To Orders (Very Frequently, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 35

Total: 19

While it would take some work converting it GURPS WW2 does deal with "regular" grunts, the packages in it should give a decent idea of how to set up a HERO military package.

An unlikely but useful resource is Hero's own Alien Wars, even though it is for StarHERO it is intended for sci-fi military campaigns and would probably be a big help.